Landrover Freelander Td4

TD4 Sport

Hello,

Only had it a few weeks and will more than likely add a power module to it soon, but as standard (weight will stay the same anyway with module), what will it Tow?

1) I currently have a Freedom Jetstream, how does the Percentage formula work for that.

2) Will it tow a Steerling Europa 460 (2 berth, think thats the right model? end bathroom) at what percentage?

thanks in advance

Scott

Your freelander will easily tow a sterling europa 460. Ours towed our eccles jewel, which is quite a bit heavier, with absolutely no problems.

I had to remind myself I was towing at times.

Of course that's when the freelander worked. (Sorry but could not resist.)

Pete.

Hello,

Only had it a few weeks and will more than likely add a power module to it soon, but as standard (weight will stay the same anyway with module), what will it Tow?

1) I currently have a Freedom Jetstream, how does the Percentage formula work for that.

2) Will it tow a Steerling Europa 460 (2 berth, think thats the right model? end bathroom) at what percentage?

thanks in advance

Scott

11557[/snapback]

You will be extremely pleased - I have been towing a Coachman Pastiche 530 (weight 1450kg) with a Td4 Auto fully loaded with no problems at all. This includes 4 trips to the French Med sitting nicely at 70mph on the Toll motorways.

Fitting a power module made it even easier with more overtaking grunt.

Weightwise, the car is tow rated for 2000kg, and its kerbweight gives and 85% towing ideal of about 1400kg, so you ans are well within guidelines.

The best thing though is the superb 140kg noseweight limit which is much better than any comparable small 4x4.

I tow with 100kg noseweight as this seems to give me the best stability.

Ignore the negative comments from Discovery owners, they have similar torque, much more weight to shift, and a bouncy, less stable suspension set-up. I have towed with a Td5 and it was far inferior, less stable, and slower. It is better off road though, so unless you want to climb Ben Nevis. .......

Thanks everyone,

Sounds like when I do change Vans I will be fine. ...nice to know !!! :)

Pete. ..cheers what goes around comes around <_<

Meld3, thanks for your input, I don't mind one bit people with other models having ago. .its all good fun. I chose the 3 door freelander as I can take the back off it and no other 4x4 offers this anyway. ..I just don't need anything as big as a Disco or equivalant. Good to hear you liked the freelanderm cheers !!

When I fit the power module and k&N I'm hoping it will feel different again :)

Thanks all

Scott

Hello,

thanks in advance

Scott

11557[/snapback]

Hi Scott, I have the 5 door TD4 and whilst it will tow 1800kg's it is illegal to tow at more than 100% of the towing vehicles weight, ie my TD4 weigh's 1525Kg's, so that is that is the maximum that I can tow. This 85% rule is nothing purely but a rule which people try and encourage to keep to, but is not legally binding, never has been. This 85% is just a figment of somebody's imagination, it does not exist anywhere else in the world except good old England.

Hi Scott, I have the 5 door TD4 and whilst it will tow 1800kg's it is illegal to tow at more than 100% of the towing vehicles weight, ie my TD4 weigh's 1525Kg's, so that is that is the maximum that I can tow. This 85% rule is nothing purely but a rule which people try and encourage to keep to, but is not legally binding, never has been. This 85% is just a figment of somebody's imagination, it does not exist anywhere else in the world except good old England.

11873[/snapback]

What law says you can't tow above 100% of the kerbweight of the car then ???

A Discovery (weighing 2300kg) can pull 4000kg as per the vehicle specification (such as a large horse box with 2 horses). Are you really trying to say this would be illegal ??

I don't think so !!!

You are right in that the 85% rule is purely a guide, but the 100% rule is also a guide peddled by the Caravan Club and NOT a LAW.

The only LAW in this area is that you must not exceed the vehicles rated towing limit and it is a serious as exceeding the MTPLM figure of your caravan chassis, which is the same as overloading a lorry.

Trouble is - 50% of the police think that 85% is a LAW, and the other 75% can't do maths to get to 85%....... :lol:

Just a couple of comments from fact sheets.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

towing regulations

------------------FACT SHEET--------------

February 2003

Requirements for Trailers

Requirements regarding trailers used on the road are given in the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, as amended (C&U) and the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989, as amended (RVLR). The following is a summary of the main requirements.

1 Weight

In the case of light trailers, that is less than 3500kg maximum laden weight, there is not any specified relationship in UK law between the weight of the towing vehicle and the weight of the trailer.

For M1 category vehicles (motor vehicles used for the carriage of passengers and comprising not more than eight seats in addition to the driver’s seat) the maximum permissible trailer weight is quoted by the vehicle manufacturer and if this is exceeded it is possible that the Courts or Insurance Companies may take the view that this constitutes a danger.

Police Forces use the manufacturer's recommended towing limit as their guide. Under no circumstances should the vehicle's gross train weight be exceeded. You should also refer to limitations on overall length, details can be found in this guide that deal with trailer dimensions.

:wub:

I feel that the two previous posts from Meld3 and TedNewman, whilst not incorrect, may give the wrong impression to inexperienced towers, as they do not give the full story. I would therefore like to add to their comments and quote references for further information.

1. 85% loading. This is the ratio of the actual towing weight to the towing veicle kerb weight and 85% is the maximum loading recommended as guidance for inexperienced towers. This is advocated by the Caravan Club, Camping & Caravanning Club, National Caravan Council and others.

2. 100% loading. Whilst it is not illegal to tow more than 100%, you need to have a B + E endorsement on driving licence to do so. If your licence was issued before 1 Jan 1997, this will be included but if it was after that you need to take a further driving test. This also applies where the combined mass is more than 3. 5 tonnes. You should note that some heavy 4 x 4's will come into that category when combined with even a modest trailer.

3. You should not in any case exceed any of the following

a. MPTLM(Max Permitted Total Laden Mass) of the trailer or caravan (shown on caravan plate)

b. Max towing weight of the towing vehicle given by the manufacturer

c. Max gross train weight (shown on vehicle plate)

References for further detail and guidance

http://www. dvla. gov. uk/drivers/dl_towing_t. ..0JANUARY%201997

http://www. caravanclub. co. uk/NR/rdonlyres/...Caravanning. pdf

http://www. ntta. co. uk/law/index. htm

Brian

I feel that the two previous posts from Meld3 and TedNewman, whilst not incorrect, Brian

11998[/snapback]

Indeed not incorrect as my post was merely a cut and paste of official UK government department literature ;)

Hi Scott, I have the 5 door TD4 and whilst it will tow 1800kg's it is illegal to tow at more than 100% of the towing vehicles weight. ..

11873[/snapback]

Hi all,

Just a small correction here (sorry Robin).

Whilst not advisable, it is actually perfectly legal to tow over 100% of the tow car weight. Take for example a Range Rover towing another Range Rover on a car trailer. The weight ratio exceeds 100% by the weight of the trailer. This is most definitely not recommended for the inexperienced driver but is not, in itself, illegal. You can however fall foul of such things as "construction and use regs" etc if you are not fully aware of both tow car and trailer limitations.

Is there a Police traffic officer reading this who would like to comment further?

Regards,

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Hi all,

Just a small correction here (sorry Robin).

Whilst not advisable, it is actually perfectly legal to tow over 100% of the tow car weight. Take for example a Range Rover towing another Range Rover on a car trailer. The weight ratio exceeds 100% by the weight of the trailer. This is most definitely not recommended for the inexperienced driver but is not, in itself, illegal. You can however fall foul of such things as "construction and use regs" etc if you are not fully aware of both tow car and trailer limitations.

Is there a Police traffic officer reading this who would like to comment further?

Regards,

Gordon.

12732[/snapback]

Apologies, I have been under a misunderstanding.

I can add a small amendment to BrianI's information. The 2nd European Directive on Driving Licences came into force on 1st January 1997 and allows anyone passing the driving test from that date to tow within certain limits. Brian explained the 100% rule with the combined masses being no more than 3500kg but you can actually tow up to 4250kg gross train weight if the trailer has a GVW of no more than 750kg. ( This being calculated as a towing vehicle with a mass not exceeding 3500kg and a trailer not exceeding 750kg).

Beware that the EU Commission are trying to introduce a 3rd Driving Licence Directive which will restrict anyone passing the driving test from a future date to being allowed to tow a trailer up to a max of 750kg only. This means that any future caravanners would have to take the B+E towing test to tow a caravan!

Beware that the EU Commission are trying to introduce a 3rd Driving Licence Directive which will restrict anyone passing the driving test from a future date to being allowed to tow a trailer up to a max of 750kg only. This means that any future caravanners would have to take the B+E towing test to tow a caravan!

12787[/snapback]

I know this will probably bring in the wrath of many. .. But. .. Not a bad idea, but maybe would be better if there were some form of government traing course for learning the skills of towing etc. without having the need of the B+E. Being the holder of a full UK CE license which includes basically everything but a bus, I had to take the training courses and test, which is NOT easy. Remember when towing anything you increase the risks of an accident substantially, so the test requires you to understand and be able to prove that you know/can tow a trailer under all conditions.

I used to drive artics for many years, and remember many caravan towers doing very stupid things, especially regarding weights.

The basic problem is total lack of training and too much confusion when it comes to towing anything. Experience counts, but who wants to learn the hard way?

Don't get me going on peoples reversing techniques!!!

Anyway, time to step down now. ..