What A Rip Off.

shiba

I have just rang our nearest caravan Dealer for a price on a side Jack, what a rip off £75 50. :o I know at one time we didnt get a spare wheel, we now get a wheel but no Jack, :blink: so we still have to pay out, I find this price outragious. anyone know where I might get one cheaper.

Shiba.

Have to agree getting a spare wheel without a jack seems all wrong. Especially as you really need the ALKO version to go with the chassis.

Unless I see one cheap on ebay or somewhere I will probably not bother.

With the ammount of mobile tyre fitters available I think it would be better to get a new tyre fitted straight away, especially as I would probably forget to get it done after I have parked the van back up at the storage compund.

Regards

Trevor

Shiba have you considered a Trolley Jack - www. tooled-up. com - Draper 2 ton £19. 95. Liddl have had them even as cheap as £10.

Use a piece of wood as a cushion between Jack/Chassis.

Scissor jacks are available under £10.

A Google search brought up many offers.

Mike :)

I'm with you Shiba, just seems another ploy by caravan manufacturers to attempt to extort even more money out of us. I did find though, when ploughing through the net, a universal caravan jack at £26. 90

http://www. leisurefayre. com/websiteb/bwebs. ../cavester02. htm

Dont know if it is suitable for the AlKo chassis but I assume "universal" suggests that it is?!

Regards

David, Callum and Connor (NRF)

Guest john1215

David,

be careful with the universal jack, if the image is anything to go by look at the "shoe" at the top it has a slot in it that looks like it is meant to engage in some sort of fitting, it may not work on the caravan chassis.

john1215

I have been fortunate while caravanning and have not had to change a tyre/wheel :rolleyes:, I do not own a specific caravan jack, could the van be raised using its corner steadies or is this not advisable? :unsure:

EGCC, it is not advisable to use the steadies as van jacks, and WILL invalidate any claim for subsequent damage. Th esteadies are precisely what their name suggests,,STEADIES to keep the van in a level plane whilst on site, and to stop it rocking about whilst not connected to the tow car. In all probability, using them as jacks will twist the winding rods making them useless, or rip the steady away from its fixing, or even collapse totally, leaving you with the van at ground level at the corner you used, and causing extensive damage to the van, which you woul dhave to pay for out of your own pocket.

EGCC, it is not advisable to use the steadies as van jacks, and WILL invalidate any claim for subsequent damage. Th esteadies are precisely what their name suggests,,STEADIES to keep the van in a level plane whilst on site, and to stop it rocking about whilst not connected to the tow car. In all probability, using them as jacks will twist the winding rods making them useless, or rip the steady away from its fixing, or even collapse totally, leaving you with the van at ground level at the corner you used, and causing extensive damage to the van, which you woul dhave to pay for out of your own pocket.

11424[/snapback]

Thanks for the advice i have a trolley jack with me in the car at all times, hopefully it will extend high enough to do the job. ;)

Thanks for the advice i have a trolley jack with me in the car at all times, hopefully it will extend high enough to do the job. ;)

11432[/snapback]

Hi egcc

There won't be a problem of a trolley jack lifting high enough,in fact the reverse is true. If you lose a wheel and are on the brake drum,few jacks will go low enough to fit under the axle reinforcement plate which is the only place to jack the van,unless of course you have the Al-ko kit. :)

Frank

A couple of years ago I bought a 2 ton rated scissors jack from Halfords. The only time the caravan had a puncture I could not get enough pressure on the jack handle to lift the van!!

I have since bought the proper Alko one and have had no trouble at all lifting the van.

I have just rang our nearest  caravan Dealer for a price on a side Jack, what a rip off £75 50. :o  I know at one time we didnt get a spare wheel, we now get a wheel but no Jack, :blink:  so we still have to pay out, I find this price outragious. anyone know  where I might get one cheaper.

Shiba.

11301[/snapback]

Have you considered a 2 ton air jack as used by the fire brigade ( Argos £19. 99 )

I have just rang our nearest  caravan Dealer for a price on a side Jack, what a rip off £75 50. :o  I know at one time we didnt get a spare wheel, we now get a wheel but no Jack, :blink:  so we still have to pay out, I find this price outragious. anyone know  where I might get one cheaper.

Shiba.

11301[/snapback]

Have you considered a 2 ton air jack as used by the fire brigade. Fits to exhaust.

( Argos £19. 99 )

I've thought of the air jack too but am concerned that the area is speads across, to lift the van, wont just be the axle but a large part of the floor too. I wonder whether you could end up pushing the floor up off its fixings or cause some other form of damage?

Regards

Is the air jack the one that inflates a ballon under the chassis thus lifting the side with a minimum of effort?

11675[/snapback]

Yes. they are on offer at the moment at www. argos. co. uk

Steve.

After breaking down a few times on motorway a couple of cars ago and feeling the wind blast the lorries give you as they pass would never use a scissor jack on the van as there is such a large area for the wind surge to push the van off the jack.

Use a trolley jack (heavy yes but MUCH safer IMHO) <_<

After breaking down a few times on motorway a couple of cars ago and feeling the wind blast the lorries give you as they pass would never use a scissor jack on the van as there is such a large area for the wind surge to push the van off the jack.

Use a trolley jack (heavy yes but MUCH safer IMHO) <_<

11689[/snapback]

There won't be a problem of a trolley jack lifting high enough,in fact the reverse is true. If you lose a wheel and are on the brake drum,few jacks will go low enough to fit under the axle reinforcement plate which is the only place to jack the van,unless of course you have the Al-ko kit.

Frank

It's difficult/impossible getting a trolley jack under the axle when the 'van is on its wheelrim. (Voice of experience - don't ask - sore point)

Mike

There won't be a problem of a trolley jack lifting high enough,in fact the reverse is true. If you lose a wheel and are on the brake drum,few jacks will go low enough to fit under the axle reinforcement plate which is the only place to jack the van,unless of course you have the Al-ko kit.

Frank

It's difficult/impossible getting a trolley jack under the axle when the 'van is on its wheelrim. (Voice of experience - don't ask - sore point)

Mike

11717[/snapback]

If the punctured tyre makes it too low to get the jack under the caravan, pull it forward until the wheel/tyre is on a piece of timber (levelling block?). There should then be sufficient room to get any jack into position.

Mlamont

If the punctured tyre makes it too low to get the jack under the caravan, pull it forward until the wheel/tyre is on a piece of timber (levelling block?). There should then be sufficient room to get any jack into position.

Mlamont

11764[/snapback]

The simplest of ideas eh. ..doh!! :unsure: