Installing Lighting

kjb

Embarking on thin ice, maybe, but the regulations that the Govt have brought in, MUST mean more money for them to waste on other things like wars in Iraq, ,,,or, they are trying to tell fully qualified tradesmen in this country that the IEE and JIB quals are just not good enough, and that we NEED to allow more immigrants into the country, which the Govt will fund to get the relevant quals, and be able to do the jobs of those who feel it totally wrong to have to pay out to reaffirm their quals.

It is an affront to the good and proud workmen who take great care in their work to be told that they now need to prove, not once by passing the exams they have already done, but twice, AND have to pay a high price to prove what they have already done.

I agree with Arc Systems, that the "bodger" needs to be routed out, but this legislation does nothing to stop these people, as CORGI has not stopped rogue gas fitters.

11739[/snapback]

Hi to all the above, I agree to all the comments regards the new regs and qualified Sparks and engineers

I am a quailfied Sparks and graduated to a post of Elec & mech engineer. 36 years service

In my opinion

(1)the part p is a miiror image of the Corgi / acop regs .

(2) If I wanted to work as a electrican in the domestic field i would have to regester with the Local council, or pay the buildings inspector to inspect and pass all work completed .

(3) the changes to the gas regs and electrical I think stem from the ease that the public can purchase products that used to be TRADE only ie gas fires / boilers, electrical consumer units etc. , Even Trade suppliers we sell materials to A punter, DIY shops Ie B&Q stock a large ranges of gas / elec items combined with the information provided by TV and books all encourge the DIYer to have a go !!

Regards policing ( Info from the grapevine ) New proposed regs that are expected to be introduced in 2006/7 are that homes will have to be inspected and tested with a certificat issued for between 1 - 10 years. In order to obtain house insurance you would need to provide a "Test certificate " estmated price £250 -300

? can you get a corgi tradesman when needed

? where will they find all the electricans need

? will the pubic abided By Part P, Are they Aware ?

? have you seen it broad cast to the public.

I wellcome comments and to be corrected regarding the above opinions

Dave

Carabiker, I agree with all you say, places like B&Q and trade suppliers will, and do sell to the public, without asking, or ascertaining whether or not the items will be installed by qualified persons, and there is a wealth of literature available to assist anyone wanting to install just about anything.

As for the points you raise,

? can you get a corgi tradesman when needed --- the answer is NO you cannot get a tradesman when you NEED him, mostly its a case of waiting at best a day, at worst weeks.

? where will they find all the electricans need --- I guess the Govt are encouraging young people to go into these trades, with cash incentives probably, but it will take time to get enough of each trade trained and experienced enough to work alone.

will the pubic abided By Part P, Are they Aware ? - I would say the average member of the public have no idea about the changes, and I also guess that most small builders dont either. Will they abide by the rules,I doubt it.

? have you seen it broad cast to the public.- in a word. NO. there has been no mention of any such changes that I know of available to the public, there is no mention or any warnings on any of the shelves in places like B&Q etc, so the public remain in total oblivion of rule changes.

Part P of the building regulations as issued by John Prescott -all 44 pages. If its part of the Building regulations I don't see how it can be applied to caravans, but nevertheless it would be good practice to follow the guidlines.

http://www. odpm. gov. uk/stellent/groups/odp. ..breg_029960. pdf

Brian

11561[/snapback]

Hi

Part P may not apply to caravans, but IEE 16edition does apply, how long before this

oversight read Amendment part P regs for caravan ( an other oversights )

Just like the IEE 16th edition regs, 130 amendments in the first 9 months

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Fporgive me for posting in such terms outside the Basement, but since I have a B. Sc. Degree in Electrical Engineering, am a Chartered Engineer and a member of the IEE (and further have worked in the industry for 21 years, including 5000V live working and 3-phase systems) I consider Part P complete and utter B0110cks.

I have read the new guidance in detail and it is the product of a bunch of mouth-breathing, @nal-retentive bureaucrats with no knowledge of the real world of electrical engineering. There are many highly competent engineers out there who will be put to a great deal of unjustified trouble and expense by this ill-considered piece of legislation.

Having said this, I will not comment further on this issue.

JAF.

PS if anyone doubts my qualifications, send me a personal message and I will happily fax you copies of my qualifications certificates.

11559[/snapback]

i will second that but, with prescott involved what would you expect!

Archived