Annoying Stereo Typing

Pa1N

Hi all,

Dont you really find it annoying when you're having a conversation with someone about holidays, and you tell them "I've got a touring caravan". And the comments you get like "Oh you're getting old now", or they look at you as thought you're somekind of anarak. This really annoys me for a few reasons. These people dont actually stop and think about you reasons for having a caravan, and nine times out of ten these people have never even had a holiday in a caravan. Nor will these kind of people have the luxury of cheap getaways on tap.

I wouldnt mind the age comment, but I'm only 29 lol. Nor am i a "ANARAK". I'd class myself as normal ( some may not :)).

I think Caravaning is such a convenient, cheap and great way to holiday. How else can you have all you're "own" creature comforts, in youre very own space???.

Has anyone else come across this kind of stereo typing, because from my own experience it seems quite common place.

Anyways rant over :). Just Carnt wait to get away at the end of March!!!.

Pa1N :rolleyes:

Hi all,

Dont you really find it annoying when you're having a conversation with someone about holidays, and you tell them "I've got a touring caravan". And the comments you get like "Oh you're getting old now", or they look at you as thought you're somekind of anarak. This really annoys me for a few reasons. These people dont actually stop and think about you reasons for having a caravan, and nine times out of ten these people have never even had a holiday in a caravan. Nor will these kind of people have the luxury of cheap getaways on tap.

I wouldnt mind the age comment, but I'm only 29 lol. Nor am i a "ANARAK". I'd class myself as normal ( some may not :)).

I think Caravaning is such a convenient, cheap and great way to holiday. How else can you have all you're "own" creature comforts, in youre very own space???.

Has anyone else come across this kind of stereotyping, because from my own experience it seems quite commonplace.

Anyways rant over :). Just Carnt wait to get away at the end of March!!!.

Pa1N  :rolleyes:

11221[/snapback]

Welcome to the real world of ill-informed opinions. My wife and I have towed caravans since our early 20s so I guess were used to the "Clarkson comment" by now. Caravanning is one of those few pleasures left that are neither illegal, immoral nor fattening.

Happy holidays!

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Hi Pa1N

Yes I certainly know what you mean. The ones that annoy me are you are not going to slum it in an old caravan, probably never been in a caravan since the early Sprite Musketeer. You feel like saying come and have a look at my fully air conditioned, full wet centrally heated, pumped h & c water, shower, electric flush toilet, full oven etc etc slum. Then watch their face drop as they walk in the door. LOL

Pete

Volvo

I must say that most of the people that we have told have been positive about my wife and I taking up caravanning in our old age especially when you tell them that the modern van is more like a 5 star hotel on wheels with out the per night costs.

Just look on the bright side :D . The more like them, the more room for us :D .

I am dreading the possiblity that Clarkson will find out what he has been missing. Even a few days on a site with him as a neighbour fills me with dread :o

Roger :D

The critics of caravanning tend to be ill-informed and biggoted but the good thing is, we won't have to meet them on site. It's no good trying to justify anything to a bigot. It helps if we have a sense of humour of course and I'm grateful that most of the ribbing I receive is apparently good natured.

My experiences lead me to believe that some of the nicest people in life are caravanners, and likewise recreational campers, walkers and cyclists. Like most caravanners I'm happy to fit into more than one of these catagories. I'm happy with my hobby and generally like the people I meet.

Roll on Easter, can't wait to get away.

Gordon

Hello,

Don't let it get to you. ...they have probably never tried it !!

I had an MX5. ..loads of people say its a hairdressers car. ...get in take them for a blast round some bends then say that !!!

Now Girlfriend has an MX5 and I've the sensible 4x4 (people moan about 4x4's)

Lets face it enjoy what you have and don't give a monkey what others say.

One life. ..Live it !!!!

Scott

Welcome to the real world of ill-informed opinions. My wife and I have towed caravans since our early 20s so I guess were used to the "Clarkson comment" by now. Caravanning is one of those few pleasures left that are neither illegal, immoral nor fattening.

Happy holidays!

Gordon.

11223[/snapback]

[/quote

Hi Gordon

Now I feel that I have to take issue with one of your observations. .............

I cann't agree that caravanning is 'not fattening'.

Every time we go away we seem to eat and especially drink too much. There is nothing we can do about this, it just happens every time.

Just back from our first trip this year and off again in 3 weeks. Cann't wait.

Pete. :D:D

The stereotyping that I have come across is"Oh, so you will be one of those that holds me up on the road"....this from my dentist. As I had a mouthful of metalwork I was unable to put up much protest.

Not with my combination I don't. As I tow with a ratio of just under 80% at most and I don't believe in hanging about. I keep to the speed limits, usually, but its usually me being held up by something else.

Most of our "old" friends (our age) either looked at us in disbelief or thought it was something mildly amusing and not to be taken too seriously when we told them we had bought a caravan and were using it enthusiastically. Strangely enough, it is our younger and much younger friends who think it's great and wish they could borrow it.

Why do people who spend a fortune each year on a package deal to some little England away from home think they are having the better deal? I could certainly tell them different!

Fiona

Just a kid - I started camping with friends in the back garden (how sad) but we were young and had a laugh, we also got away from our parents :D . In my later years myself and the misses with friends enjoyed long tenting holidays during the summer, they were cheap but more importantly fun and simple too arrange, With the birth of our first son we bought a caravan for comfort and convenience. Years on the kids love it and have a big say in the vans we buy. Today people i know and do not own a caravan, understand what we do is fun and our sons friends always want too holiday with us. I guess there will always be some, who are critical of others - but who are they too criticise. :unsure: Each to their own I say B)

I work for very large organisation that own one of the largest HGV fleets in the country (Bright Red with yellow line) I 'came out' as a keen caravanner last Easter and even now I am held in utter contempt by a few. On reflection I am very pleased I did'nt mention my embarrasing itch at the same time. :P

My brother in law works in the garage of a large organisation and is considering buying a caravan just so he can join in the conversation on a Monday morning, all those he works with have either Tourers, Statics or Motorhomes and feels he is not part of the gang.

I also work for a large Lgv Company (Christian Salvesen) we have lots of 'vaner's at our depot, proberbly why I now am enjoying the lifestyle.

Mike

I have yet to receive my caravan (next month)

So as you may guess I am so excited about it and can't stop telling every one "I am getting a caravan".

Some of the looks I get even from family, "what you getting one of them for"

We are in our early 30s and have 3 kids and hopefully by the time they are adults they will have seen most of the uk and some of Europe how many people will be able to say that, only those with caravans I think.

sorry for shouting but

I AM GETTING A CARAVAN

And I cant wait.

Michelle

As I tow with a ratio of just under 80% at most and I don't believe in hanging about. I keep to the speed limits, usually, but its usually me being held up by something else.

11425[/snapback]

Nice to hear of someone towing within the 85% guideline.

Yossa

Hi there

weve had remarks like being gypsie's on holidays or old before our time

but when we have had friends see the caravan some have said, god you could live in this like a normal house, and i suppose we could because all the creature

comforts are in it :)

They're always laughing at me at work when i say im off in the caravan this weekend, but then they say "Hey oscar i couldn't borrow your van could I, I want to nip down to Devon for a weekend"

"NO GET YOUR OWN"

I had never camped as a child, and only started in my 30's, when the ankle biters came along.

After a few soggy seasons with our large family tent, we decided to bite the bullet and be one of the least unpopular groups of motorists on the road, by purchasing a caravan.

We don't care, our children have the freedom to play in lots of nice clean air, and see lots of wonderful things. All for a fraction of what it would cost in a hotel.

I love camping/caravanners, as they are mostly very friendly sociable types who want to chat and help (if required).

Never owned a caravan before, and our first trip out is to Severn Gorge in 4 weeks. Wish us luck!!!!!!!!!!!

Nissan X-trail 2. 2 DCi - 2005 Adria Altea 502 DK,2 well-behaved boys who I am immensely proud of!!

(Also a 1990 VW Golf Convertible, which definately does not tow anything!!!)

This post is not meant to intentionally offend anybody

Twenty years or so ago, I had the same thing with my diesel cars, I used to get, what do you see in them, why don't you get a proper car. :rolleyes:

Just hope they don't catch on as much with the caravans :D

Paul

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Archived