First Caravan

trimble

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's quite a big caravan - what are you planning to tow it with?

volkswagen Sharan 1. 9tdi

Not quite sure what year/model you have but if its the 115bhp version, then I dont think it would be powerful enough to pull a caravan of the weight proposed. Also just check that the MTPLM weight of the Carolina, 1759kg, does not exceed the kerb weight of your Sharan, which would not be recommended. Do you really need the six berth layout? If you say how many people/children you envisage taking you might get some realistic suggestions. Certainly Bailey are good caravans and good value for money. Maybe I would say that though because I have one!

Brian

Just another idea for you. We really needed a 6 berth but the car couldn't have towed that kind of weight so we have a 5 berth Bailey discovery and have a tent insert inside the awning for the older kids. Maybe you could manage with a smaller van and the tent? By the way, it was a dodgy static that got us into caravaning too, best thing we ever did!

Hi guys. Thanks for the replies.

We have 2 adults and 4 kids, so yes, we do need a 6 berth. He tapped my make and model in the computer and it is okay to pull the caravan. Just didn't want to get it and then people say "oohhh, I wouldn't have gone for that!"

Rob

Gonna pay for it at 4pm this afternoon unless you guys say otherwise

Hi guys. Thanks for the replies.

We have 2 adults and 4 kids, so yes, we do need a 6 berth. He tapped my make and model in the computer and it is okay to pull the caravan. Just didn't want to get it and then people say "oohhh, I wouldn't have gone for that!"

Rob

Gonna pay for it at 4pm this afternoon unless you guys say otherwise

Hiya, I bought my very first caravan a few weeks ago, and got the Bailey Senator 6 Louisiana. Everything seems ok, there are a few small niggles with it, but looking through the threads here everybody else seems to be in the same boat.

I knew before I bought my van that there were issues with the TV's being issued so told the dealer I wouldnt buy it unless the TV was made available. I still had issues!!!. If you want a Bailey Caravan I would strongly suggest you dont hand over a single penny until the TV is sat infront of you. If the TV isnt a major issue for you then buy the van, just hope that it arrives before you trade in the van in two or three years time.

As long as its not too windy I find the van tows very well, watch that noseweight though!! Even though the top of the range Bailey vans at 8meters are the lowest in terms of weight, with 6 people and all the luggage and bedding for 6 people, I would want plenty of torque and Bhp to shift it!!!

well no turning back now. They offered me an extended warranty. Is it adviseable to take it?

Thanks

Rob

Maybe not. It depends how much it costs or are they giving it to you free? Remember the standard Bailey warranty you get is a 6 year body shell guarantee and a 3 year warranty on other parts.

http://www. bailey-caravans. co. uk/senator/warranty. htm

To my mind the main worry is the body shell as other items are relatively simple to repair or replace.

Brian

Maybe not. It depends how much it costs or are they giving it to you free? Remember the standard Bailey warranty you get is a 6 year body shell guarantee and a 3 year warranty on other parts.

http://www. bailey-caravans. co. uk/senator/warranty. htm

To my mind the main worry is the body shell as other items are relatively simple to repair or replace.

Brian

£299 for 4th 5th and 6th year. I can't belive I'm gonna part with £17,000. CAN SOMEONE TELL ME I'VE DONE THE RIGHT THING PLEASE

Edited by trimble

volkswagen Sharan 1. 9tdi

Hi Trimble,

If you look through the posts I have placed on the forum you'll read about the common faults of the S6 Carolina. As far as a caravan goes for 3+ young children you'll be hard pushed to find a better designed caravan! Just remember it is the "Ford" of the caravan world and not the Mercedes!

I'm not convinced that the Sharan is capable of towing the Carolina. I own a VW Caravelle - 2. 5 V5 185hp D, which when loaded with 3 kids, all the associated kit and the caravan at MAUM (Aviation Term - Max all up Mass) it just about feels right and is still working fairly hard. It returns 21-23mpg. The Caravelle just about holds the caravan level once connected - and thats with commerical running gear (springs, etc).

I guess you'll have 4 kids, 2 adults, 4 bikes!! - awning, food, TV, Wii, BBQ, bedding, Dog!, clothes etc etc etc, whilst the weight ratio figures might just match up, the 1. 9 engine IS going to struggle with such an outfit - the caravan is chuffing heavy! I admit that I haven't seen anyone towing with a Galaxy/ Sharan as most have the KIA 4x4 thingy or similar.

If you want anymore info about the S6 PM me and I'll be happy to tell you how we have faired with ours.

Good luck with your purchase. .

Stamjamaar

£299 for 4th 5th and 6th year. I can't belive I'm gonna part with £17,000. CAN SOMEONE TELL ME I'VE DONE THE RIGHT THING PLEASE

I would love to say you have done the right thing, until I read you paid £17k, since I bought mine brand new and from a main dealer a few weeks ago and I didnt pay a penny over £15k im not sure you haggled hard enough if at all? Oh and as I was new to caravanning I got the water bottles battery mirrors etc etc etc thrown in for free.

Hiya, I bought my very first caravan a few weeks ago, and got the Bailey Senator 6 Louisiana. Everything seems ok, there are a few small niggles with it, but looking through the threads here everybody else seems to be in the same boat.

I knew before I bought my van that there were issues with the TV's being issued so told the dealer I wouldnt buy it unless the TV was made available. I still had issues!!!. If you want a Bailey Caravan I would strongly suggest you dont hand over a single penny until the TV is sat infront of you. If the TV isnt a major issue for you then buy the van, just hope that it arrives before you trade in the van in two or three years time.

As long as its not too windy I find the van tows very well, watch that noseweight though!! Even though the top of the range Bailey vans at 8meters are the lowest in terms of weight, with 6 people and all the luggage and bedding for 6 people, I would want plenty of torque and Bhp to shift it!!!

Hi Trimble,

If you look through the posts I have placed on the forum you'll read about the common faults of the S6 Carolina. As far as a caravan goes for 3+ young children you'll be hard pushed to find a better designed caravan! Just remember it is the "Ford" of the caravan world and not the Mercedes!

I'm not convinced that the Sharan is capable of towing the Carolina. I own a VW Caravelle - 2. 5 V5 185hp D, which when loaded with 3 kids, all the associated kit and the caravan at MAUM (Aviation Term - Max all up Mass) it just about feels right and is still working fairly hard. It returns 21-23mpg. The Caravelle just about holds the caravan level once connected - and thats with commerical running gear (springs, etc).

I guess you'll have 4 kids, 2 adults, 4 bikes!! - awning, food, TV, Wii, BBQ, bedding, Dog!, clothes etc etc etc, whilst the weight ratio figures might just match up, the 1. 9 engine IS going to struggle with such an outfit - the caravan is chuffing heavy! I admit that I haven't seen anyone towing with a Galaxy/ Sharan as most have the KIA 4x4 thingy or similar.

If you want anymore info about the S6 PM me and I'll be happy to tell you how we have faired with ours.

Good luck with your purchase. .

Stamjamaar

Chuffing heavy!! :D thats the term I was looking for in my post. Anyway couldnt agree more with a big family you seem to take more and more things and the weight just adds up, I would not want to tow with less than a couple of hundred bhp and a lot of torque

REALLY ANNOYED NOW! The computer said YES to the Sharan fully loaded car capacity and the caravan full capacity. Blazers Caravans used a program called HPI to cross reference the car with the van.

When transporting my stuff, would it help if I load it towards the back of the van to keep the nose up? or am I talking out of my ~~~~

Rob

Edited by trimble

please reply someone, I'm beginning to panic

Rob

Hi Trimble,

There will ALWAYS be someone who has had a better deal than you - its called sods law. Caravan dealers tend to "look after" frequently returning customers, Twin axle may be on his 3-4 caravan from the same dealer! (am I right TA?)

However, 17K is excessive, I paid between 15-16 for mine, and that was off spec as one of the very first, you might want to talk to Blazers again bearing in mind it would still be cheaper to run away and loose your deposit and find a more reasonable dealer for a lesser price! I've had a look at the Sharan on the Tow Match site, it shows a 92-95 % ratio which for a first time caravaner is a little alarming!

If I were you, personally if I couldn't afford to change the car, I would go for a single axle Pageant 7 with the Carolina rear end (triple bunk), they are just as good, if not the same spec as the Senator minus a TV! It is only a matter of time before the S7 gets a revamp anyway!

I wish I had read your post before 4pm!

Loading the rear of the caravan will not really work as what you will then do is make the caravan conditionally (aviation term again) unstable. A caravan needs a nose weight in order to control the center of gravity in order to stop the "swing momentum" developing, by moving the C of G aft you increase the risk, although I suppose the S7 does have ATC - however its a deterent and not to be relied upon.

Ring your dealer tomorrow - ask him if the HPI check he gave you was to an "recommended" 85% match, if not he should have warned you if he is worth his salt as a dealer particulary as you are new to caravaning. My Dealer Berkshire Caravans made it very clear for someone who has never towed to remain at 85% or below.

If he didn't use this as a bartering tool to either change the price or change the van! I would not tow with this match, however it is possible - however. ...................

PM me and I'll send you the exact price I paid to give you some ammunition.

Regards

Stamjamaar

When transporting my stuff, would it help if I load it towards the back of the van to keep the nose up?

Rob

DEFINITELY NOT!

You should have the noseweight as high as possible without exceeding the limit on your car or the limit on the caravan (100kg). Normally your car limit is the lowest of the two so this is normally the limiting factor.

You can check the noseweight by measuring on level ground by using a noseweight gauge or bathroom scales. The height of the nose when taking the measurement should be the same as when on the towball of your car.

Brian

If this is an 09 registered van, vans are registered as they leave the factory, then a few quid off list price may be OK, but only maybe.

If its an 08 registered van, then thats way too much money, unless you are getting a full starter pack and an awning.

Regarding the towing advice given.

MTPLM 1759kg, maximum towing weight of a Sharan 2000kg. So you are legal.

However, 85% of the kerbweight is 1639 kg, so you are going to be over that.

I don't think its the right van for you, but its your call.

Regards

David