Brits Abroad

Hi

We've had similar problems in the past and Keycamp and statics do play a big part in it but that's not to condem people that use them. I have myself in the past. Look at it logically.

If you are someone that wants to let their kids run wild while they get drunk which are you going to do.-

A - Go out buy a caravan tourer (or tent), sort out all required accessories, pack, insure plan journey etc etc.

B - Walk into a travel shop, point to a page on a brochure say "Ugg tha' one !" and pay some cash.

That doesn't mean caravaners or campers are super heroes, it just means that certain groups of society aren't likely to do it.

The second issue is large groups, if you are a couple (ie 2 adults) with 2 kids. You are less capable of making as much of a noise / nuisance becasue there is only so much 4 peoply can do. You are also out on limb if you annoy anyone. If you are in a large group then you can make more noise and feel safer doing it, I might complain to 2 adults making a nuisance but not so likely to complain to 6 or 8.

So if you do go off abroad with your large group of noisy drunken freinds are they all going to take their tents / vans etc. NO, so you rent a tent or static instead.

So the answer is simple, avoid larger sites, avoid non club sites on bank holidays, avoid sites with pools, statics etc.

OR !!!!! if you want the pools etc, consider the nature of the beast that you are trying to avoid. Let's face it they aren't the brightest of things are they? , they know where Calais is, and have a vague idea about Paris. Also the coast is eas for them to find because it's always next to all that blue stuff on the map. After that their geography starts to get a bit misty. If you need to stay near Calais stop at a 2 or 3 star small municiple site, they'll never find you !!!!!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

David,

You are probably right about how busy the sites have become and how difficult it will be to get a pitch in future. It was our first experience, for many years, of staying near Calais/Dunquerque and we had failed to realise the impact of the relatively cheap, short ferry crossing/Eurotunnel on sites around the ports during English holiday periods. For us, it's not the home by lunchtime that drives our return by a morning crossing but the need for 2 full days to tow home with a CL night en route.

I was sorry to hear that you have had to cancel your planned late summer trip to France as I was looking forward to reading about your travels which always give such good, detailed recommendations for sites. I really admire the time that you and others such as Keith (M) give to providing details of your touring holidays as they are great for ideas in planning future trips and both your experiences of sites have matched my own if I have stayed there. Our books are out currently for planning a CL trip around Northumbria and North Yorks for Sep where the beer will probably be better but the wine, food, ambience and weather will not match France - we just have not the time due to other commitments to make the distance worthwhile.

Got to say that after a couple of weeks in the deep south of france an overnight at Bien Assise is always a bit of a hey ho, back to blighty kind of feeling, but to be honest we tend to dump the van and then go wandering, cap gris nes is always a pleasant spot - my son would quite like to go and just stand near the tunnel train tracks and watch eurostars!

"Scars are souvenirs you never loose"

2010 Swift Charisma Freestyle 550 + 2007 Nissan Pathfinder Aventura.

David,

You are probably right about how busy the sites have become and how difficult it will be to get a pitch in future. It was our first experience, for many years, of staying near Calais/Dunquerque and we had failed to realise the impact of the relatively cheap, short ferry crossing/Eurotunnel on sites around the ports during English holiday periods. For us, it's not the home by lunchtime that drives our return by a morning crossing but the need for 2 full days to tow home with a CL night en route.

I was sorry to hear that you have had to cancel your planned late summer trip to France as I was looking forward to reading about your travels which always give such good, detailed recommendations for sites. I really admire the time that you and others such as Keith (M) give to providing details of your touring holidays as they are great for ideas in planning future trips and both your experiences of sites have matched my own if I have stayed there. Our books are out currently for planning a CL trip around Northumbria and North Yorks for Sep where the beer will probably be better but the wine, food, ambience and weather will not match France - we just have not the time due to other commitments to make the distance worthwhile.

Thanks for the commiserations, we should have been tucked up at the new Bearstead Caravan Club Site tonight and off on Eurotunnel tomorrow! Not to be, unfortunately, but hopefully will be able to get away in the UK later, perhaps October. As you can imagine I would rather be starting the South of France Diary tonight!

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Niro HEV  for home.

Caravan Travels

we stayed at Bien assise on Friday night (30/08) 3 units all together in the very top field. No probs. Loads of space.

The site seemed very full though. Queues out the door for both the take-away and bar food. Standing room only in the pool and the waterslide was a 3 minute wait !

I also found food and drink to be the dearest we paid in 2 weeks !

It was my first time there, probably my last. Give me the aire at La Baie De Somme anyday. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed at La Bien Assise on our way home about 8 years ago, unfortunatley we had a very similar experience as in the original post, with yobs in the keycamp statics area drinking to excess, fighting, swearing, throwing the furniture into & out of the static, along with abusing anyone in hearing distance, needles to say we've never been back!.

This was in august & the kids were very young at the time, I did complain to the keycamp rep, but in all honesty, I didn't expect a young girl to go & deal with it (she was only about 18 years old) it's a shame as these bone heads spoil it for everyone.

• 1 month later...
Give me the aire at La Baie De Somme anyday. :lol:

You are a brave man staying overnight in an aire.

We have used Bien Assisse on at least 4 or 5 occassions for stopovers and always in peak times and have never had any issues.

Always had a nice pitch, the staff have always been great and its a nice relaxing night before an early morning ferry home!!!!

Maybe we have just been lucky!

I'm so sorry to hear of your experience, but please don't let this deter you from visiting La Bien Assise campsite again in the future. It's a site I've stayed at many times over the years and I have to say I am shocked to hear your comments. It's certainly a busy site, with lots of folks staying only one night en route to/from the ferries, but there are quiet corners of the site that are quite delightful, even in high season.

I would suggest that a general letter of complaint to Eurocamp, Keycamp etc. would be in order, suggesting that their on site reps were perhaps not doing their duty effectively. Emphasise that the disruption was from a small number of "their" holidaymakers, and not from the independent caravanners. Also copy this to the owners of La Bien Assise, but don't forget to express the concerns you had for your own safety.

Regards,

Gordon.

Can I reciprocate Gordon's views. Off peak Bien Assise is a super site. We have been many times. True it is busy because it is an ideal overninght stop for the ferry. We have stayed for one night and also for several. I usually now ask to go on the newer bit at the top end if I am staying a few days. Certainly I have never experienced what you did, so correspondence to the site and the "rentatent" companies seem to be in order

DavidC
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe Premium pulling 2013 Coachman Pastiche
1996 Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign LWB (For Sale) 1970 Jaguar E Type Coupe 1967 Morris Oxford Farina & 1973 MGB roadster

I have commented on this site several times as previously we used to go there on our returning to the UK -- we must have been 10 -12 times - over the corresponding number of years - but not now -- there used to be an "old guy" who ran the place -- don't know if he was the owner or not -- but he was always in the office --

But then I think they had a management change - and sadly he was no more. .

- and at about this time opened up the back field -- and also started having "green tents" and mobile homes [that aren't mobile] - and huts - this attracted a certain sort of people

-- as reported in the first posting. . and it got worse over the years. .

Enough was enough -- for us when we were parked next to a group "green tents" full of "yoofs" who spent the night drinking and vomiting and urinating around the green tent. . That was enough. .

Sorry it WAS a nice site -- but sadly no more. ..

Go miles now to avoid it. . I am NOT surprised to read the first post and you have my total sympathy.

Maurice

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold ?) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

I have commented on this site several times as previously we used to go there on our returning to the UK -- we must have been 10 -12 times - over the corresponding number of years - but not now -- there used to be an "old guy" who ran the place -- don't know if he was the owner or not -- but he was always in the office --

Oh you mean Mr Grumpy, its much better since he left.

But then I think they had a management change - and sadly he was no more. .

He was getting on a bit so he might have retired

- and at about this time opened up the back field -- and also started having "green tents" and mobile homes [that aren't mobile] - and huts - this attracted a certain sort of people

-- as reported in the first posting. . and it got worse over the years. .

We first went to Bien Assise in 1992 and the tents were there then, can't recall them causing a problem

Sorry it WAS a nice site -- but sadly no more. ..

Can't agree with that, stayed there several times in the last 5 years and not experienced any problems. OK it can sometime feel like a bit of a transit camp but that is the nature of the beast. In terms of quality its is certainly on a par with many other sites I have stayed on in France. Maurice, perhaps the difference is that you always stay there during the peak season where as I and many others use it out of high season.

Go miles now to avoid it. . I am NOT surprised to read the first post and you have my total sympathy.

Are you going to share you current favourite?

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Niro HEV  for home.

Caravan Travels

David -- I agree that we stay there during the High season but that is what having kids you have to do --- you say it changes during the rest of the season of the year -- OK I can accept that as well -- but we go on holiday when we are able --

Your Mr Grumpy - :angry: - was our Mr Jolly - :lol: - always had a good word and remembered us each year -- so peoples perception of people can be different -- but he did keep the site "calm"

Just reading my diaries I think they opened the back field in 2002 as we were parked there right at the top near to the fence and there were no other vans there -- it was very new - we were one of the first in there --I dont think it was open before that

- the following year [2003] on August 11th there was a fire in the field next to it and all the vans had to be moved to another part of the site -- by orders of the Pompiers and Gendarms. We were parked near to the gate and the shower block, but the site and all the vans were covered in smoke. .and ash. .

The tents were there but very few and certainly not as many as there are now + huts and statics. .

It is basically a holiday camp now for the Booze Run crowd. .

So we don't do it. . after all we are on holiday for the French experience. . and can do with out feeling like a bit of a transit camp as you rightly put it

Maurice

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold ?) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

We were there in high season, it was a bit manic. And there were a lot of 'booze cruise' types. It is a nice site, and I would use it again, but not in high season.

Ian

Regards
Ian

• 3 months later...

OK, well up to about 20 minutes ago I was looking to book this site, but you've convinced me otherwise.

Can anyone provide any recomendations for the Nord pas de Calais or Picardie region? It will be our first time out of the UK, with a dog and daughter, neither of whom really like travelling in the car. We were therefore looking for something within a couple of hours drive of the tunnel, or less. We have looked at a couple of other 'super sites' but the one we fancied at St Valery is booked (and probably falls into the same category as La Bien Assise) and others with 'facililities' have Kareoke fun, and that's enough to put me right off.

We have a Bailey Pageant, with Spacelite awning, we'd like something with a reasonable amount of space, some french atmosphere and some basic amenities (shop, maybe boule, etc). Not fussed for a bar, restaurant, pool, etc. Not desperate to tour aound, looking for one, maybe two sites.

We're not tied to school holidays, but due to dogs vaccinations can't travel before August, so we've booked 3rd - 12th (peak madness).

Anone heard of (or tried) Le Vivier aux Carpes near St Quentin? (I may have to take my rods).

Or Les Parc des Cygnes at Amiens?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks,

Jeff

OK, well up to about 20 minutes ago I was looking to book this site, but you've convinced me otherwise.
Municipal at Arques (St. Omer). Very French. Very cheap. Hedged emplacements for tourers. Permanently installed tourers on part of site but very well kept. Small bar and that's it. +....fishing in lake next door or canal nearby. Link Camping Arques

Hi Jeff

I have stayed a Le Vivier aux Carpes but it was 5 years ago. It is/was a nice little site ideal for us on our way south from Ijmudgen. Some of the pitches can be a bit tight getting on but are spacious enough if towards the smaller scale of some French pitches. The facilities have have always been clean when we have been there but there was no shop although a great little bakers van came in the morning. There is a small playpark for kids and if you fancy a bit of memorial visiting there are plenty nearby. ♦ They do have a lot of fishing on site with a good few people sitting around. (better watch your dog for the ducks though).

The attached photo is from a pitch at the site to let you try and see the size.

post-17713-1234109985.jpg

Archived