Sign in to follow this  
penglais

Alko Wheel Lock

This topic has been raised on here and many other sites and -- although I generally support security products

-- I am afraid that this one reaches zero in my estimation. . BUT

Attention Paul Jones

Marketing Manager

AL-KO Kober Limited

For a start from what you have indicated you need another separate product -- a jack -- to raise the caravan so as to rotate the wheel to align the lock.

To be secure - I feel that you should be able to lock and immobilise the vehicle at what ever location. .. and having to jack the caravan up to raise the wheels from the ground is not always a practical or desirable situation. .

Have you thought of jacking the van on a motorway service station. .. a public area car park - and worst of all a wet grass Caravan Field on any sort of slope. .

Have you thought of how you can remove the lock in any form of emergency

--- first find the jack and then raise the wheels !!!

--- wowo I hope it isn't raining - soft ground - dark - or anything else!!!!

---Also make sure that your car is hooked up !!

Even then -- when you have the key in the barrel -- can you ensure that it turns to unlock -- first time - without exception. .

The last time I tried -- on a sunny day on my block concrete drive using the correct ALKO jack -and axle stands to be sure - it took 20 mins -- and most of that was trying to get the barrel to turn in the lock. ..

And this is only to remove the security device. . !!!

Sorry -- a very good idea - but in my opinion not practical -- mine now acts as a very expensive shelf stop at the end of a shelf in my garage. .

Maurice

This topic has been raised on here and many other sites and -- although I generally support security products

-- I am afraid that this one reaches zero in my estimation. .

I have an Alko wheel lock on a single axle.

I also have a van mover, which was fitted this year.

However before the mover was fitted I had to jack up the van once to align the wheel lock but apart from that it always fits easily.

The van mover makes the job very easy and takes a couple of minutes when arrival on site, and the lock is fitted.

I never have any trouble getting the barrel to turn in the lock, is your 'O' ring dry and clean? This stops the barrel rotating.

I think the Alko wheel lock is an excellent piece of kit and in my 20+years of caravanning it is the best wheel lock I have ever used.

Brian

I have an Alko wheel lock on a single axle.

I also have a van mover, which was fitted this year.

However before the mover was fitted I had to jack up the van once to align the wheel lock but apart from that it always fits easily.

The van mover makes the job very easy and takes a couple of minutes when arrival on site, and the lock is fitted.

I never have any trouble getting the barrel to turn in the lock, is your 'O' ring dry and clean? This stops the barrel rotating.

I think the Alko wheel lock is an excellent piece of kit and in my 20+years of caravanning it is the best wheel lock I have ever used.

Brian

so we have to fit a mover -- or use the jack -- is that what you ar saying???

Yes the 'O' ring is dry and clean -- would not have it any other way !! still dont help though. ..

I've been reading the pro's and cons on this topic for 2 weeks now, I've got a twin axle, 2 locks and a kojack jack.

This weekend came the crunch, My first attempt to fit the locks (on a grassy slope).

As per recomendations, I left the car hitched, chocked the opposite wheels and went for it. Couldn't believe it! 10 minutes start to finish, jacked up, put the locks on and jacked back down again.

Removing was a doddle. 2-3 minutes without the need to jack.

If you have a jack it's easy! If not and you have a twin axle then forget it!

:D

Just put my van into storage for a couple of weeks before our next outing.

Took 30seconds to get the Alko wheel lock off and 1minute to get it on when the van was positioned in the storage pitch.

Van mover worth its weight in gold but I still reckon the Alko wheel lock is one of the best pieces of kit I have used in 20+years of caravanning.

Brian

Took 30seconds to get the Alko wheel lock off and 1minute to get it on when the van was positioned in the storage pitch.

Van mover worth its weight in gold but I still reckon the Alko wheel lock is one of the best pieces of kit I have used in 20+years of caravanning.

Brian

when they work and in position they are great -- my one was NEVER in position -- so hence the jack -- and also the barrel would never come out. ..

Good ones are obviously good -- Bad ones are a Pain !!

Maurice

Alko is the best wheel lock I have ever owned. My wife tells me when the wheel is lined up and I fit it. When I have had to use the jack it only takes a couple of minutes. I have a large peice of wood to stand the jack on when on grass and never have a problem.

Further to my comments earlier about a receiver fitted on both sides I approached Alko(Thanks for your help Paul) to see if I could have a receiver fitted to the offside while my axle was with Alko for repair

I was quoted a price by Alko via my dealer of £117 to fit the receiver which I OK'd

The next day I was informed that the parts were not available so that idea was shelved

Ironically when the axle was returned the existing receiver was damaged so that it was pressed hard against the brake drum.

The carrier was blamed

It delayed the van repair for almost a week while a new receiver was obtained and I had just given up and asked the dealer to put the van together without it and I was about to purchase an alternatinve clamp when the receiver arrived

North Staffs Caravans and Swift can not be faulted in the service and supply of parts and Alko did a superb job on the axle .

this is about the only time my motor mover is any good lining up the wheels to fit the lock

Brian

I echo your comments, The Alko is the easiest lock I have had,but I have a single axle with motor mover dont know if it would be as easy on a twin!! I also have a nemessis wheel lock and this is a pain to fit, you have to be laid on ground nearly to get all the bits together ( for sale by the way £40 pick up only).

For a start from what you have indicated you need another separate product -- a jack -- to raise the caravan so as to rotate the wheel to align the lock.

Don't you have a jack already?

I echo your comments, The Alko is the easiest lock I have had,but I have a single axle with motor mover dont know if it would be as easy on a twin!! I also have a nemessis wheel lock and this is a pain to fit, you have to be laid on ground nearly to get all the bits together ( for sale by the way £40 pick up only).

When they work they are good locks, but wait till the barrel is siezed you have spent an hour trying to get it off, the kids are in the car screaming or you need to set off to catch a ferry, and you cant get the lock to turn even a mm in the barrel then you do see more of a negative side to the lock.

Don't you have a jack already?

Most certainly -- but imagine -- if you can -- a motorway service station -- locking the van and securing the wheels --- wowowo wait a min --we have to JACK up the van to align the wheel to set the lock. .

OR -- you are wanting to get away -- possibly in an emergency --with your van -- you are on a campsite -- it is grass -suddenly you cant move - why because the van wheel is locked and the only way you can move it is by freely rotating it when it is of the ground by jacking up the van. ..

don't say it don't happen -- it does . .they do. .

In my opinion if you have to use ANYTHING else -- albeit a mover or a jack - to secure or un lock the van -- there is something wrong. ..

all these people who say -- wow I can do it with a mover

or

No problems I just jack the van up. .

NO way Hosea

When they work they are good locks, but wait till the barrel is siezed you have spent an hour trying to get it off, the kids are in the car screaming or you need to set off to catch a ferry, and you cant get the lock to turn even a mm in the barrel then you do see more of a negative side to the lock.

<_<

Puzzled, how does the barrel get seized? What causes this? Is it debris in the key chamber? How do you get the key to turn?

Brian

Most certainly -- but imagine -- if you can -- a motorway service station -- locking the van and securing the wheels --- wowowo wait a min --we have to JACK up the van to align the wheel to set the lock. .

Easy, I lock the van to the car with an alko hitch lock. And before you say that a thief can get past a hitch lock, they can just as easily & quickly get past the average wheel lock.

OR -- you are wanting to get away -- possibly in an emergency --with your van -- you are on a campsite -- it is grass -suddenly you cant move - why because the van wheel is locked and the only way you can move it is by freely rotating it when it is of the ground by jacking up the van. ..

I'm not suggesting that the wheel lock is the answer for everyone but it's not by any means impossible to put it on & take off without using a jack. I've done it many times & it takes 2 minutes, probably faster than most.

Puzzled, how does the barrel get seized? What causes this? Is it debris in the key chamber? How do you get the key to turn?

I get over it by giving a little squirt of WD40 in the keyhole

I think they have modified it now so there is a rough serrated edge that you can put your thumb? on to stop it spinning --

But it sometimes just wont turn or engage for no apparent reason. .

Ive found that when you have put the key in, you must remember to push it in against the spring as you turn the key. ..whilst holding the now serated edge of barrel. ..

But it sometimes just wont turn or engage for no apparent reason. .

I think possibly that the engineering of the barrel is too good. The tolerance is so fine that dust getting blown in or dirt washed in with rain is all it takes to jamb it. As I said earlier, just a squirt of WD40 clears it.

I like the Alko lock as it weighs less than others and you get a good discount on insurance

I have used one (2) for 3 years and you have to get into the routine of putting it on before everything else when setting up otherwise its a jacking job

Its made much easier with a motor mover but I have seen people doing it by shouting etc

I find it MUCH easier to use than the 3 piece Milenco but nothing is perfect

The one on the Bailey was much more user friendly than the one on the Ace as there were more spokes in the wheel and hence more frequent spaces to line up

As to the barrel jamming its not happened yet on the Alko but it did happen on one wheel clamp on site at Blackpool

I sawed through a threaded part of one of the 3 legs in less than 5 minutes using a junior hacksaw and with no comments from passers by :rolleyes:

I recently had a wheel come off the caravan and am convinced that an attempt was made to remove the Alko lock by loosening the wheel bolts as the wheel came off after only 12 miles and the bolts had been checked the night before with a torque wrench as is the norm before each trip

My routine now involves checking bolts prior to setting off rather than the night/day before B)

Edited by Watson(JohnG)

I think possibly that the engineering of the barrel is too good. The tolerance is so fine that dust getting blown in or dirt washed in with rain is all it takes to jamb it. As I said earlier, just a squirt of WD40 clears it.

Hi All

I had problems with both the lock barrels after a few phone calls I got hold of a tech guy at

Lowe and Fletcher

http://www. lowe-and-fletcher. com/,

Moorcroft Drive, Wednesbury, West Midlands,

WS10 7DE, England.

Tel: +44-121-505-0400

Fax: +44-121-505-0420

sales@lowe-and-fletcher. co. uk

Tech guy was Dave Wright

Lowe and Fletcher manufacture the lock kit ( total contents of the sealed plastic box )

After the chat

Result was

I used medium pressure trigger spray filled with a product like WD40 flushed out both locks

Then used an air line to dry out the WD40 product

Placed the locks upright and fill then with "sewing machine oil " operated the locks several times, then drain off the surplus oil

This was carried out in April 2008 and NO problems to date

Regards

Dave

We've got the Bulldog Max. Much easier to fit and remove and a lot cheaper too! The fixing bolt allows you up to 1" leeway either side, depending on the distance between wheel spokes. As I understand it, the Alko doesn't allow much leeway at all. Oh, and insurers still allow discount for the Bulldog.

The bulldog max we have been told is easier to fit (and 1in lee way) more we have been told and yes cheaper it is the same principle. We are picking up a new van at the weekend and will be purchasing a Bulldog dog max, so I will let you know if we have any problems.

Christine

Christine a couple of points to remember I believe all new vans with alko receiver need a special key to remove the cover on the receiver in the wheel,once I had registered mine with Alko they sent me the key for my receiver cover, And I have also heard the bulldog receiver type clamp is easy to cut off as the lock bit sticks out, also my Alko one takes about a minute to put on and even less to take off. .....neil

The Bulldog now includes a removal tool

http://www. bulldogsecure. com/bulldog. shopf. ..D931430-377-570

http://www. bulldogsecure. com/shopdata/files/227-1030. pdf

Edited by Watson(JohnG)