Towing With A Rover 400

paulmcconnon

You really need to find out the MTPLM of the van and the kerbweight of the car. An 85% car:van ratio is said to be the best, up to 100% if you are an experienced tower*

I know someone who tows a 2 berth with a 620 & is very happy with it, not sure how related the 620 & 420 are in terms of engine, chassis etc.

*Assuming you do not exceed the max tow for the car

Hi Paul and welcome to the forum.

The kerb weight of a Rover 420D is 1240Kg and therefore the recommended towing weight for an inexperienced tower is 85% of that which is 1054Kg. I do not know which year and exact model your caravan is, but no doubt you can look on the rating plate. I suspect it may well be over the limit.

Brian

Hi Paul and welcome to the forum.

The kerb weight of a Rover 420D is 1240Kg and therefore the recommended towing weight for an inexperienced tower is 85% of that which is 1054Kg. I do not know which year and exact model your caravan is, but no doubt you can look on the rating plate. I suspect it may well be over the limit.

Brian

10956[/snapback]

Plus the Rover 400 has a MAXIMUM towing limit of just 1000kg, and a quite low noseweight limit of 50kg.

I can almost guarantee your 5-birth van exceeds these figures - sorry!