Lunar Delta 520/2

oldeng

I collected my Lunar Delta 520/2 this am from the dealer, it went back to the Lunar factory on Nov 6th last year for a list of problems.

One of them was damp ingression, does anybody have the definitive on what reading you should get from a damp meter on a van that does not have a damp problem? :(

All of them appeared to have been sorted but only time will tell, but it is good to have it back in the drive as we felt naked without it.

Regards

Vic ;)

Ideally you should get a green light (0%) but given the seasons of the year things will vary slightly , condensation and moisture in the air can confuse a person who isnt familiar with regular damp checks. also cheap protimeters can give false results as well, so i would recommend testing every 10-12 weeks during the wettest months, if things start getting over 12-16% and rising a problem is likley to be occuring. Steve

Ideally  you should get a green light (0%)  but given the seasons of the year things will vary slightly , condensation and moisture in the air can confuse a person who isnt familiar with regular damp checks. also cheap protimeters can give false results as well, so i would recommend  testing every 10-12 weeks  during the wettest months, if things start getting over 12-16% and rising  a problem is likley to be occuring. Steve

10967[/snapback]

Thanks Steve, I have a cheap meter, Rawlplug unit that just produces a noise and the amount of noise is difficult to relate to the amount of damp, could you recommend one?

Regards

Vic :(

Hi Oldeng, glad you have got your van back and really hope that everything has finally been sorted out. Ours is back with the dealer for its first service and to sort out a few of the problems we are still having - microwave lose, cooker door, fridge door wont shut, etc etc. We also think there is some dampness under the front window but the dealer seems to think it is just condensation!

Initially they said it would be with them for a week, now they are saying it will be around two weeks, so hopefully we will be 'back on the road' with a fully functioning caravan by early march 2005.

You mentioned about having new window stays in one of your posts. We had problems with the catch on the rear bathroom window. It would not open because it was too long and was sticking behind the window stays. Lunar themselves fixed this problem when they replaced the carpet which was damaged by the leaking water tank - they cut the end of it off!!!! :blink:

So hopefully, this time we might get something proper done to the van. All at a nice cost of around £150 for a service!

Also, we had dampness in a few areas on our first Lunar and the dealer told us that anything up to 25% would be classed as condensation! When the stain began to show on the back wall, he finally agreed it was dampness! We found it by using a PlasPlug Damp meter. It might not be that accurate but at least it gives an indication that something may need further investigation!

Guest mr_sheens

after working on damp caravan for 13yrs i know anything upto 26% is normal. unofficially manufacturers have reduced the amount of fixed ventilation with the introduction of heki and remi rooflights. this obviously increases the possibility of condensation. this then pushes the thresh hold of ingress. 28% would indicate resealing. wallboard only needs removing, if and when it is affected.

the natural moitsure content of timber can be upto 20%. in this respect i disagree with tradetech.

these views are also being discussed with the manufacturers and the approved workshop scheme

the only damp metre recognised within the caravan trade is the protimeter mini. this does retail for about £180. its not cheap, but its the best for the job. again if used by the untrained person it can be confusing. the sonic version has now been ruled out because of condensation giving inaccurate readings

OK, views may vary but i always think prevention is better than cure. i am time served in the industry as well(17yrs).(production and dealership)

26% on a protimeter would indicate a problem in my professional opinion and i would recommend an investigation.(as this is indicated as red on my protimeter)

with regards to wall board and the manufacture of 3mm ply especially the central American and Malaysian branded woods during production the majority of this is kiln dried to avoid warping with this in mind i cant see how it would hold a 20% moisture content. . :huh:

i think what the important thing here is how damp can be eradicated (will it ever), no two caravans are the same, and with the present trend of caravaning and customer demand production at factory level may prove difficult for certain manufacturer's this in turn becomes a quantity and quality issue???

dampness will only come from a punctured ally panel, badly sealed molding, or ill fitting rubber seals (i. e over sized window rubber or perished seal ).

with all that in mind detection in the early stages may only need a reseal and wallboards don't always need replacing.

prevention is better than cure , if not cure the disease not the symptom

Steve ;)

Guest mr_sheens

TRADETECH.

you have contradicted yourself. earlier you said 12-16% is a problem and then later you said 26%. im confused, would you like to explain?

if things start getting over 12-16% and rising  a problem is likley to be occuring. Steve

10967[/snapback]

26% on a protimeter would indicate a problem in my professional opinion and i would recommend an investigation.(as this is indicated as red on my protimeter)

I dont see a contradiction there 12 - 16% - Problem LIKELY TO BE occuring

26% - A problem

no contradiction that I can see

Guest mr_sheens

the point im making is that 12-16% is NOT a problem. customers need to know exactly what IS a problem because there is so much bull given by some dealerships.

i have approached the NCC and they are still sat with their fingers up their behinds as to who, when and why the guidlines where set. and again they sit on the fence and say they are guidlines.

if you are professional you should be able to say whether a caravan has damp or not, not the usual bring it back in 3mths and we`ll have another look. i dont suppose any one would except that from a builder or mechanic. .."im not sure, can i look at it again in 3mths", but this is what a lot of dealers say.

the more customers know the better, to stop the un-scrupulous dealers ripping people off.

I dont see a contradiction there 12 - 16% - Problem LIKELY TO BE occuring

26% - A problem

no contradiction that I can see

11697[/snapback]

Thank you , enough said i do things my way, Mr sheens you do things your way, i dont fob customers off just give them the plain uncomplicated facts and peace off mind thats because they pay my wages . if a repair is necessary it will be done accordingly with out any bull. Steve <_<