New Land Rover Discovery

Marc Ranger 500

Hi,

After looking at buying various different 4x4s I still keep coming back to the New Land Rover Discovery.

I have read some reviews of it and they state that the Disco has a floaty feel when towing with it.

Can anyone who owns one (or has towed with one) confirm this. .. and let me know what 'floaty' is.

My Seat Toledo suffers from much pitch and roll when towing but I put this down to the soft suspension. ... is that what you would descibe 'floaty' as.

I don't want to spend over £30k on a vehicle that is no better when towing than my £10k Toledo.

Any advise would be most appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Marc

Hi,

After looking at buying various different 4x4s I still keep coming back to the New Land Rover Discovery.

I have read some reviews of it and they state that the Disco has a floaty feel when towing with it.

Can anyone who owns one (or has towed with one) confirm this. .. and let me know what 'floaty' is.

My Seat Toledo suffers from much pitch and roll when towing but I put this down to the soft suspension. ... is that what you would descibe 'floaty' as.

I don't want to spend over £30k on a vehicle that is no better when towing than my £10k Toledo.

Any advise would be most appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Marc

10919[/snapback]

Mark,

I have considered one of these soon. My dealer was prepared to loan me a demonstrator with a tow bar to let me tow with it. If yours is not, I would respectfully suggest that you ask why!

As yet I have not seen one towing but love them to bits. My only reservation is the rear view whc=ich, in my opinion, does absolutely nothing for the car - bring back the rea hug spare wheel (I'm sure someone will bring out a kit for this!).

Martin W

Discovery D3 HSE + Coachman VIP 575/4 2016

www.pennplanning.co.uk

I read an article that said the Land Rover Disco was "floaty" towing but that was in Practical Caravan who have a "close" relationship with Mitsubishi (of Shogun fame!)

I'd be more worried about the reliability issues that have caused problems with previous Discos (cue the plague of replies saying they've towed 200,000 miles without a problem. ..)

Marc have you tried the new Toyota Landcruiser Colorado 3. 0 D-4D Diesel. Arrange a good long test drive [min. 5-10 miles]. In my opinion far better and more reliable than any other 4x4.

Mike

I read an article that said the Land Rover Disco was "floaty" towing but that was in Practical Caravan who have a "close" relationship with Mitsubishi (of Shogun fame!)

I'd be more worried about the reliability issues that have caused problems with previous Discos (cue the plague of replies saying they've towed 200,000 miles without a problem. ..)

10930[/snapback]

I have a Shogun - and I have to say there is no 'floaty' towing with it - it tows beautifully - on the other hand I have friends who have discos and have had real problems towing. I am a firm vote for the Shogun - this is my second one and I wouldnt consider a Disco for towing my caravan.

Margaret

Margaret

I don't do technical !!!

Just me and my showdogs!!

Like Margaret, we had Shoguns for 5years, great towcars, but after returning to caravanning after a short spell with a motorhome, we have had Frontera's, which we have been pleased with, and I just love them. :D

Shiba. :blink:

I have a Shogun - and I have to say there is no 'floaty' towing with it - it tows beautifully - on the other hand I have friends who have discos and have had real problems towing.   I am a firm vote for the Shogun - this is my second one and I wouldnt consider a Disco for towing my caravan.

Margaret

11103[/snapback]

Margaret,

We've towed with our Disco for 4 years and never had a problem. Tows as steady as a rock - in fact last time we towed my parents Swift Corniche we noticed lots of other outfits encountering problems with stability and ours was fantastic. I towed our new Bailey Carolina home from the dealership on Saturday January 8th in all that heavy wind and I was very impressed with the way that tows. I think lots of people encounter problems by not maintaining their vehicles and incorrectly loading their vans - if the nose weight is wrong that will cause instability or if the rear suspension is past its best it could cause a floating sensation.

My neighbour has a V6 Shogun (and a Jag XK convertible, and an X type oh and an Austin Healey 3000!) and so far mine has been infinitely more reliable and hangs on to its tyres twice as long.

The Shogun is a fine car no doubt about it but I know what I'd rather be in if the going got tough. ..

Simon.

Thank you all for your replies.

I was hoping for someone that owns or has towed with the new Discovery to be able to tell me what they think of them.

I have heard that the original Disco is a great tow car but the new one has air suspension that worries me when towing (would it be bouncey??)

Cheers

Marc

I was hoping for someone that owns or has towed with the new Discovery to be able to tell me what they think of them.

I have heard that the original Disco is a great tow car but the new one has air suspension that worries me when towing (would it be bouncey??)

Cheers

Marc

11285[/snapback]

Mark,

As I said in my earlier post, I haven't towed with the new one but my current one has rear air suspension with no problems.

I really advise you ask you local dealer for a test drive in a vehicle fitted with a tow bar - and tell him/her you are going to tow with it!!!

Martin W

www.pennplanning.co.uk

Cheers

Marc

11285[/snapback]

Most lorries on the road these days are fitted with air suspension if that is anything to go by

Thank you for all your replies.

I put down my deposit today on the Discovery 3  :D

I just have to wait until mid March before I can pick it up :(

It should be a bit better at towing my Ranger 500 than my Seat Toledo  ;) . ...... well I hope so anyway  :)

Cheers again.

Marc

11413[/snapback]

Marc,

You didn't have to tell us that now did you?

New Discovery - pah!

Seriously, please let us know what you think when you get it - only be gentle on us!

Martin W (Wonky)

www.pennplanning.co.uk

Marc,

You didn't have to tell us that now did you?

New Discovery - pah!

Seriously, please let us know what you think when you get it - only be gentle on us!

Martin W (Wonky)

11454[/snapback]

Martin,

I am sorry but I had to tell every one. ..... I can't wait :D

From the test drive and what I have read of it, I can tell you that it is fantactic (albeit very big. .. over 2m wide :o )

Some of the guys at the dealers reckon that the new Disco is actually better than the Range Rover at the moment (due to newer technology), but I couldn't comment myself (never been in a Range Rover let alone drive one).

I will report back after I have the vehicle although I won't be towing with it until mid April time (need the V5 to get a new number plate for the caravan).

Cheers

Marc

Marc, Nice new motor! can't the Dealer make you up a extra rear no. plate as part of the pdi as they have to make plates up for the car without a v5 anyway?

Enjoy anyway,

Mike

Congratulations Marc. In Aus, Disco3 models were awarded 1st and 2nd by one 4WD magazine and 1st and 3rd by another in their 4WD Of The Year awards (and the vehicle hasn't even been released yet!) This is a country where the capable but primitive Toyota and Nissan big 4WDs have been the automatic choice for decades.

Stephen.