Cashel Loch Lomond Forest Holiday Site

tobybot

Were going up to Ardgarten this August and have been told its about 30ish miles north of Glasgow, and that its in a good position for the trossachs and loch Lomand also the scenery around that area im told is fantastic.

Cant be any help on TV reception though

Oscar

Hi Sue,

The last time we were at Cashel was in the seventies. Fabulous site on the banks of Loch Lomond. Beautiful countryside not that far from Glasgow. I am afraid that it was too early for mobiles and we did not have a TV. We were there for the sailing and exploring the surroundings. Watch out for the midges in the evenings. :)

Frank

Were going up to Ardgarten this August and have been told its about 30ish miles north of Glasgow, and that its in a good position for the trossachs and loch Lomand also the scenery around that area im told is fantastic.

Cant be any help on TV reception though

Oscar

10997[/snapback]

Oscar we stayed at the C&CC Site at Ardgarten last September - superb spotless facilities. CC site is off the same approach road. Both sites are on the shores of Loch Long - beautiful setting.

Hope the sun shines for you.

Mike B)

Oscar we stayed at the C&CC Site at Ardgarten last September - superb spotless facilities. CC site is off the same approach road. Both sites are on the shores of Loch Long - beautiful setting.

Hope the sun shines for you.

Mike B)

11098[/snapback]

Cheers Mike, Really looking forward to it, :rolleyes:

On your journey up did you have any probs getting through Glasgow ?

Oscar

Hi Sue,

Stayed at Ardgarten CC site 18 months ago. Its 38miles from Glasgow. TV is not brilliant, but I think phone worked OK. Good views looking down Loch Long. Unfortunately CC site is now closed, but there is a Forestry Commision site and a C & C site next door which are both OK. Travelling through Glasgow I tend to go straight through on the A82 rather than use the motorway over Erskine, which is longer and tolled.

Brian

Hi Sue,

Stayed at Ardgarten CC site 18 months ago. Its 38miles from Glasgow. TV is not brilliant, but I think phone worked OK. Good views looking down Loch Long. Unfortunately CC site is now closed, but there is a Forestry Commision site and a C & C site next door which are both OK.   Travelling through Glasgow I tend to go straight through on the A82 rather than use the motorway over Erskine, which is longer and tolled.

Brian

11373[/snapback]

Hi Brian, i did wonder about the A82 as its more direct, the M8 seems to go from one side of the clyde to the other and back again over the Erskin bridge.

Depending on what time of day i get there i might use this route.

Thanks

Oscar

Cheers Mike, Really looking forward to it, :rolleyes:

On your journey up did you have any probs getting through Glasgow ?

Oscar

11364[/snapback]

Oscar we stayed on the M8 then M898 Erskine Bridge. We had 2 friends hitching a ride with us from Cornwall - dropped them off at Glasgow Airport to pick up their Hire Car [they went B & B]. It is so much easier towing on the Motorways and it was the route recommended by the AA [for Caravans]. We had no delays or holdups in September, return route was the same so our friends could return their Hire Car.

I can tell you a good CL near Penrith should you require [as we did] an Overnight stop.

Mike

Thanks Mike, Penrith sounds a good place to stop thats about half way for us, if you could let me know of a CL around there I would be grateful

Cheers

Oscar

12162[/snapback]

Site listed in CC Sites Directory 05/06 Page296 - last entry

It is a working farm [they also do B & B] short gravel drive into flat grass area with Electric hook-up and water - you read the meter and pay for useage next morning - ours was 40p - site fee last Sept was £5 - Toilet/shower on site.

There is a 'good food' Pub at Stainton.

Mrs M R Taylor Tymparon Hall, Newbiggin. Penrith CA11 0HS

Tel: 017684-83236

Website - www. tymparon. freeserve. co. uk

Email - margaret@tymparon. freeserve. co. uk

Mike

I'm fairly local to Glasgow but I wouldn't use the A82. It's a complete nightmare depending on the time if day etc as it's a main thoroughfair with lots of traffic lights, buses etc.

I always go M74, (M73), M8, M898 and over the Erskine Bridge. It is slightly longer but quicker and a straight road. The bridge toll is 60p (free if you are a Blue Badge holder).

• 3 years later...

Erskine Bridge is now completely toll free. Both directions. Nothing. Zip. Whooppee. This would be the recommended route (from a native). Stuff the A82 through Glasgow especially towing.

Edited to state. UNLESS IT'S WINDY. The bridge is exposed.

Edited by seeyoujimmy

My first ever night in a caravan was at Cashel. We'd bought it on a previous trip to BIL in Glasgow and he'd towed it to Cashel for us for the Easter holidays. I'd never been in a caravan before and didn't know what I was letting myself in for but when I woke up to the sight of Loch lomond through the window I was hooked. OH had never towed so his first experience of towing was from Cashel to Leicestershire. I think it took us about 8 hours. ..but that was a long time ago.