Satellite Tv For Caravans

Guest Karl

Woah!

Please don't fall into the trap that I did with satellite TV.

I was convinced I had to have it and went out without knowing what I was doing.

I spent a fortune on a portable satellite dish, satellite finder etc. and didn't need any of it! It cost me almost £200.

Then I found this site. .........

Satellite TV for caravans

I soon found that if I had just put my sky box in the van (with card of course) I only needed to go to a boot sale and buy a normal grey dish (the type that are on houses) for about a fiver.

Mounted on a small pole and clamped to the A frame (where the jockey wheel goes) it will do the job you need.

A satellite finder is not necessary. I've never been able to use it. Just point the dish to SSE and move a millimetre at a time till it locks on to a signal.

David Sullivans site is wonderful and explains Satellite TV for caravans in great detail for novices like me.

Don't spend any money till you've had a good look at it. ..please.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've also fallen into the trap of buying an extra sky box thinking I could leave it in the van and just take the card from the house. ........nope!

You can't have a card registered to two boxes so you will need another sky subscription if you are going to have a 'complete' system in the van.

I still think that buying a dish from a boot sale and using the sky box (and subscription) from the house is the best option.

I've also fallen into the trap of buying an extra sky box thinking I could leave it in the van and just take the card from the house. ........nope!

You can't have a card registered to two boxes so you will need another sky subscription if you are going to have a 'complete' system in the van.

727[/snapback]

Cheers I didn't know that I was going to buy a new box to leave in the van. Problem is I've Sky+ so I'll need a dish with a multi end thingy!

Wildkat

PS Sky+ worth every penny (first time I've used Sky and value in the same sentence) :o

Cheers I didn't know that I was going to buy a new box to leave in the van. Problem is I've Sky+ so I'll need a dish with a multi end thingy!

Wildkat

PS Sky+ worth every penny (first time I've used Sky and value in the same sentence) :o

744[/snapback]

I have a second box which I take with me - works a treat - and for an extra £10 per month on my sky bill its well worth every penny

Margaret

Margaret

I don't do technical !!!

Just me and my showdogs!!

Yes. ................you can have a 'second' sky subscriptioon for the van @ £10. 00 per month but don't forget there's a minimum period of 12 months subscription for that i. e. £120 per year. If you get enough use out of the van it's worth it. ...............but don't forget you are SUPPOSED to leave the phone line connected to it during the first twelve months. ......................erm!!!!

Really. .....transferring the box from home each time we go away is no big deal.

Wildkat. .........

Maybe a normal dish can be used with a Sky+ box? maybe you just lose the Sky+ facility?

I'm sure the website I mentioned would tell you.

Yes. ................you can have a 'second' sky subscriptioon for the van @ £10. 00 per month but don't forget there's a minimum period of 12 months subscription for that i. e. £120 per year. If you get enough use out of the van it's worth it. ...............but don't forget you are SUPPOSED to leave the phone line connected to it during the first twelve months. ......................erm!!!!

Really. .....transferring the box from home each time we go away is no big deal.

775[/snapback]

Yes it is a lot for a year - but I am away in my van for the most part of the year and I think it is well worth the extra expense . .......

Margaret

Margaret

I don't do technical !!!

Just me and my showdogs!!

We have a spare sky box in our van and take our card from home. Its true you dont get all the channels that you do at home - if you subscribe to the £33+ packages. However we only have the £19. 50 package and get ALL the same channels. You do not need to have a second card or a second subscription.

You can if you really want to get sky to activate your card into another sky box for whislt you are away and then reactivate it against your home box for when you are back - obviously only really worth it if you are away for a long time.

We also have in our van a French decoder box that we bought down in spain one year, which is great if you cannot pick up sky.

Remember that the further south you go, the bigger the dish you will need to pick up a good signal and not have any degradation esp at night!

We have a spare box too that we took for the first time last time we went away. Everything worked for the first couple of days and then we lost the movies and of all things E4! It wasn't a problem but if we're going away for longer I think we'll take the main box from home so we can get the movies.

We also have a Sky+ box and I really had to restrain myself from organising Sky+ for the van. I'll be taking all the other home comforts like iron and ironing board next (not)!!! :P

Fiona

I am known in some circles as a bit of a gadget man. ...............

We went on a Rally to Lickhill last year and in the awning we had. ........

2nd TV for kids

X Box games console

Karaoke machine

Seperate DVD player with surround sound

Sky TV

I hasten to add that the 'noisy' stuff was especially requested by other club members for a barbecue we had planned.

The boys have asked me to look into satellite broadband so that they can play x box 'live' games.

I think I shall draw the line there!

Freeview boxes are OK I suppose but nowhere near the 'right' selection of channels that you would get with Sky.

I like the sport and films so I've felt that the channel selection is hardly worth having.

I've also heard that a freeview box 'on the move' is harder to set up than a satellite dish but I have no experience of this.

Woah!

Please don't fall into the trap that I did with satellite TV.

I was convinced I had to have it and went out without knowing what I was doing.

I spent a fortune on a portable satellite dish, satellite finder etc. and didn't need any of it! It cost me almost £200.

Then I found this site. .........

Satellite TV for caravans

I soon found that if I had just put my sky box in the van (with card of course) I only needed to go to a boot sale and buy a normal grey dish (the type that are on houses) for about a fiver.

Mounted on a small pole and clamped to the A frame (where the jockey wheel goes) it will do the job you need.

A satellite finder is not necessary. I've never been able to use it. Just point the dish to SSE and move a millimetre at a time till it locks on to a signal.

David Sullivans site is wonderful and explains Satellite TV for caravans in great detail for novices like me.

Don't spend any money till you've had a good look at it. ..please.

704[/snapback]

B) Hi.

Very interesting, one of the most informative articles I have read in a long time, well done for finding it.

T. B)B)B)

727[/snapback]

Thanks for that info Karl. My friend has just given me a spare sky box to put in the van. Didn't know that my card wouldn't work in it.

Guest john1215
I am known in some circles as a bit of a gadget man. ...............

We went on a Rally to Lickhill last year and in the awning we had. ........

2nd TV for kids

X Box games console

Karaoke machine

Seperate DVD player with surround sound

Sky TV

I hasten to add that the 'noisy' stuff was especially requested by other club members for a barbecue we had planned.

The boys have asked me to look into satellite broadband so that they can play x box 'live' games.

I think I shall draw the line there!

1021[/snapback]

I know that I'll get someone's back up saying this but why on earth do you feel the need to cart all that stuff around on a rally, can't your kids manage just for a weekend or a week even without sky TV and computer games?

john1215

Each to their own John. ...................

Smarts. .............it will work in a fashion (I think) but you will not get all channels you would get in your 'registered' box.

Check the web site I quoted (or my own) for exact info.

Freeview boxes should be easy to set up using the on-screen menu but only AFTER the aerial has been correctly aligned. The set-up will need to be carried out from scratch at each site.

Align the aerial for best reception, using analogue channels 1-4 (BBC1,BBC2,ITV1,Ch4), before setting up the Freeview box.

Indoor aerials or the Status omni-directional external aerial only work well in good signal areas. In medium or poor signal areas an external directional aerial and amplifier is needed. Digital, ie Freeview, reception needs a better quality signal than analogue.

Smarts. .............it will work in  a fashion (I think) but you will not get all channels you would get in your 'registered' box.

Check the web site I quoted (or my own) for exact info.

1262[/snapback]

Cheers Karl, I just checked out your website. Even went into your chat room, the lights were on but nobody in. :rolleyes:

I know that I'll get someone's back up saying this but why on earth do you feel the need to cart all that stuff around on a rally, can't your kids manage just for a weekend or a week even without sky TV and computer games?

john1215

1211[/snapback]

It's because you live in Sheffield John that you don't understand, Apart from beating Wigan in the challenge cup a few years ago it's unlikely the Eagles will be on Sky sports again for some time

Guest john1215
It's because you live in Sheffield John that you don't understand, Apart from beating Wigan in the challenge cup a few years ago it's unlikely the Eagles will be on Sky sports again for some time

1649[/snapback]

Lucky for me then that Sheffield is the area where I live not the place, I actually live nearer Worksop than Sheffield if the truth be known. What I don't follow with your reply is the Eagles bit, what do Eagles have to do with Sheffield, not that I'm bothered but a bit of clarification will stop my sleepless nights.

john1215

If you really want to be technical about it and have a nice set up for Sky in your van, then I suggest obtaining a satellite wall plate and fitting it into your battery box so that you can access the back of it from inside your van. You then take a short lead from the back of this wall plate to a second wall plate which is perhaps mounted near your existing aerial outlet and connect up the two wall plates. Then a short flylead with f connectors to your satellite recevier. Then when on site you run the satellite cable into the battery box next to your electric cable. Nice and neat

For the techcos you could then take the outgoing analog signal from the satellite receiver box and combine it where the status or any outside aerial aerial feeds into the booster splitter box (if your van has more than one aerial point) and you can have satellite throughout your van. With a satellite connection you only have to tune the telly in once and you will always have a perfect picture and |I can highly recommend Sullivan's site. :D

What I don't follow with your reply is the Eagles bit, what do Eagles have to do with Sheffield

1875[/snapback]

I understand now John

Sheffield Eagles RL team playing at Don Valley, having worked in the Sheffield area for a number of years I can see your reason for distancing your self.

Wildkat

"I can highly recommend Sullivan's site"

Makes good reading and sounds so easy.

Guest john1215
I understand now John

Sheffield Eagles RL team playing at Don Valley, having worked in the Sheffield area for a number of years I can see your reason for distancing your self.

Wildkat

"I can highly recommend Sullivan's site"

Makes good reading and sounds so easy.

1896[/snapback]

That's the point, I don't have to distance myself - Okay, I'll put it in plain terms, I live NEAR Sheffield 14 miles south to be exact. I work in Sheffield, that is my only connection, please feel free to have a go at this Sheffield Eagles team, it means nothing to me.

My actual roots are in Barnsley, which is also a nice place to come from.

john1215