Volvo Xc 70 Td

tommytruck

Guest Hobbybod

Tommy-T,

I've not towed with one, but I did have a test drive in one (Volvo Freedom Drive event) with the geartronic Auto box and the 4WD system.

I was not overly impressed;

It seemed very sluggish and unresponsive, in going along country, windy, roads. It was forever changing down the box to make sensibly paced progress. Once up to speed then the roadholding etc. appeared very good.

The impression I got was that the 4WD system and/or the geartronic box dulled/sapped the performance of the diesel engine. [only 163bhp in a pretty heavy car, XC90 (which I didn't bother with) would be even worse].

So I then had a drive in a V70, same engine, with a manual box. This was much more responsive and lively, and was much more the performance level I had been expecting. It was quite happy pootling along in 5th gear at 30mph!! Something my Skoda doesn't like.

If you confine your towing to mainly A roads and motorways then the XC70 would be fine I'm sure, but for more general use and towing along ordinary, 'country' roads etc. I'd find it too sluggish and unresponsive and heaven knows what the fuel consumption would be.

Volvo do a non-Geartronic autobox but I didn't have a drive in a car using that. However, subsequently, I have seen similar criticsm of the Geartronic box in the press, somewhere, so I'd certainly go for an extended test drive before you choose.

I do not have an XC 70 however I drive and tow with a S80 D5 sutomatic and we town a twin axle Lunar Lexon behind it. I have n o problem with hills etc and have enough power to accelerate and overtake trucks when necessary. I was under the impression that an XC 70 would be very similar. The D engine is excellent. If you want more information I suggest you visit the folowing forums; http://www. volvospy. com/frameset. php?bn=volvospy_newv70c70 and http://www. volvoclub. org. uk/forums. htm and ask as many questions as you like. There are many people who will be able to give you an opinion of the vehicle.

I drive with a D5 engined V70 and am more than impressed with it. I would like an XC70 but a manual one as I've heard not very nice things about the geartronic. (it "learns" how you drive so gets confused for a few miles if you take the van off or put it on).

Tommy-T,

I've not towed with one, but I did have a test drive in one (Volvo Freedom Drive event) with the geartronic Auto box and the 4WD system.

I was not overly impressed; 

It seemed very sluggish and unresponsive, in going along country, windy, roads. It was forever changing down the box to make sensibly paced progress. Once up to speed then the roadholding etc. appeared very good.

The impression I got was that the 4WD system and/or the geartronic box dulled/sapped the performance of the diesel engine. [only 163bhp in a pretty heavy car, XC90 (which I didn't bother with) would be even worse].

So I then had a drive in a V70, same engine, with a manual box.   This was much more responsive and lively, and was much more the performance level I had been expecting. It was quite happy pootling along in 5th gear at 30mph!! Something my Skoda doesn't like.  

If you confine your towing to mainly A roads and motorways then the XC70 would be fine I'm sure, but  for more general use and towing along ordinary, 'country' roads etc. I'd find it too sluggish and unresponsive and heaven knows what the fuel consumption would be.

Volvo do a non-Geartronic autobox but I didn't have a drive in a car using that.   However, subsequently, I have seen similar criticsm of the Geartronic box in the press, somewhere, so I'd certainly go for an extended test drive before you choose.

10468[/snapback]

B) Hi Hobbybod, & Thanks everyone for the reply's.

Apparently Volvo are no longer offering the XC70 D5 with the Geartronic box for the very reason you say, However my wife has had a drive of a manual version, and is very much taken, she is no longer happy with her Picasso diesel, Me, I'm not so sure, I am not a Volvo person. I have just bought a C-Max 2. 0 Tdci, and am very happy with this as a towcar, but we are a two car family, and I am being pressured into letting the wife have the Ford while I get the Volvo, as I said I am not so sure. The caravan weight is not a problem for the Ford, so I think she (The wife) is going to have to do some serious arm bending, or something ????

Anyway thanks again for the reply's.

T. B)B)B)

Go for the either Volvo V70 or XC70 D5 manual. You will not be sorry and will have the economy of a normal saloon when not towing. The automatic takes awhile for it to recognise that it is not towing a caravan any more.

Volvos and Fords are the same company anyway. ..........

Personally, until the D5 is upgraded to 185 horses (rumour) I'd got for the V70 (as I have) as I like the performance and fuel economy that the 4wd XC would sap. Also prefer gears rather than auto.

I had one of the early V70XC - R plate - automatic with a 195 bhp 2. 5 petrol engine and I used to get about 32 to the gallon on a run but averaged about 26 overall. Don't know what it would do towing as I didn't have anything to tow. I was quite impressed with it, nice to drive and clocked up about 99K in 3 years but started to have problems towards the end. It has viscous couplings to give the all wheel drive and these started to give trouble and at nearly a £1K each to replace can be expensive, I had both of them go in the space of a couple of weeks. The problem is caused by having the diameters of the road wheels + tyres being different by more than 2mm, I once had a nail in the wall of a tyre and ended up with 4 new tyres as the puncture couldn't be repaired, fortunately it was a company car so I didn't have the bill to pay. Another problem is the transverse cross coupler, because the engine is transverse there is another coupler to transfer the drive to fore & aft and this can also suffer as a result of the tyre diameters.

My personal view is that Volvo is surviving on a reputation that is wearing a bit thin now.

Phil