Lunar Zenith 4

ricpop

I got the 5 just had new toilet door (warped) and a few other minor snags seen to at first service.

Well satisfied with van

Yes my toilet doors the same must be indemic. Ive also got a Xantia which seems to pull the van with no problems except a tendancy to 'pogo stick' which I thought may be because there was not enough nose weight.

Anyone out there got one of these, had mine for about a year now.   No obvious problems except the Truma heater which has been the subject of much debate.

10414[/snapback]

Hi ripcop whats been the probs with the heater, anything i can help you with. Steve ;)

Hi ripcop whats been the probs with the heater, anything i can help you with. Steve ;)

10603[/snapback]

Thanks tradetech, Ive come to the conclusion that the thermostat sensor fitted by Lunar is far too close to the Heater itself and the exit hole for the warm air ducting. It probably needs the controls/thermostat moving or another remote sensor placing somewhere else.

Yes my toilet doors the same must be indemic.   Ive also got a Xantia which seems to pull the van with no problems except a tendancy to 'pogo stick' which I thought may be because there was not enough nose weight.

10473[/snapback]

Toilet door can be replaced under warrenty. But do report it to your dealer

Guest mr_sheens
Thanks tradetech, Ive come to the conclusion that the thermostat sensor fitted by Lunar is far too close to the Heater itself and the exit hole for the warm air ducting. It probably needs the controls/thermostat moving or another remote sensor placing somewhere else.

10661[/snapback]

All you need to do is have a remote sensor fitted, which over-rides the wall stat. these can be fitted inside the caravan in a cold spot, this way the heater tends to run for longer on mains.

Guest mr_sheens

when running a truma ultra heat on 240v it will get the front of the fire hot even with the fan running. remember it is a fire which radiates heat and has roughly 2KW. it is normal to get hot.

• 2 months later...

I have just bought a 2003 Zenith 4 and took it out for it's first outing last weekend.

Very pleased overall, just a couple of things cropped up.

The good old Truma heater decided not to work on the 2nd night, so I am assuming it is a similar problem with the location of the heat sensor that has been well documented on these boards. Does anyone know where I can get a remote sensor and how much are they ?

The toilet door is warped. Not sure what to do about this as the dealer says it is not covered under warranty and I suspect a new door from lunar will be quite pricey.

The final problem I have is difficulty in closing the the outside door to the van from the inside. It seems to be a bit hit and miss on whether I can get it to close properly without leaving a 5mm gap at the top. I can get it to close ok from the outside provided a give it a hefty shove. I suspect that this door might be slightly out of shape as well. Has anyone else had this problem ?

I have just bought a 2003 Zenith 4 and took it out for it's first outing last weekend.

Very pleased overall, just a couple of things cropped up.

The good old Truma heater decided not to work on the 2nd night, so I am assuming it is a similar problem with the location of the heat sensor that has been well documented on these boards. Does anyone know where I can get a remote sensor and how much are they ?

The toilet door is warped. Not sure what to do about this as the dealer says it is not covered under warranty and I suspect a new door from lunar will be quite pricey.

The final problem I have is difficulty in closing the the outside door to the van from the inside. It seems to be a bit hit and miss on whether I can get it to close properly without leaving a 5mm gap at the top. I can get it to close ok from the outside provided a give it a hefty shove. I suspect that this door might be slightly out of shape as well. Has anyone else had this problem ?

My 2003 Lunar Zenith 4 has exactly the same problems as yours + the thermostat on the Ultrastore works when it feels like it and if youve got an alko spare wheel carrier the van is too low to the ground to allow the wheel to be pulled out (see other threads). Having said that it is a nice van and providing mine doesnt leak I will be happy with it. We've learnt to live with the problems as Lunar won't honour the guarantee to second owners and I can't afford to pay for continuing repairs. Oh and watch ouit for the tap if your ultraheat has the same problem as mine, the boiling hot water will melt the plastic joint on the tap and it will leak at a cost of 8. 90p per tap. Good luck - this is caravanning, you're not on your own.

Regards toilet door

If dealer won't replace under warrenty it might help to put same closure as used on 2005 Lunars

fastening top, middle and bottom of door

• 1 month later...
Anyone out there got one of these, had mine for about a year now.   No obvious problems except the Truma heater which has been the subject of much debate.

10414[/snapback]

I purchased one new last Sept and whilst it has not given me any real issues (build quality wise) my wife did find the toilet a bit too cramped for her liking and there was insufficient space allocated for food preperation.

We are dumping the van back on the dealer for £8K and getting a Quaser EB in replacement which she said is better designed in those areas (and has a fixed bed!)

We have had our Zenith 4 from new in 2002. We reqlly like it. Yes the build quality isn't as good as more expensive vans but the spec and weight for a family van is excellent for the price we paid. We have towed it with a Xantia petrol with no problems and now with a C5 diesel - don't even notice it's there!!!

We have not noticed any problems with the heater but we do tend to start it with gas and switch to electric after about 5 mins. :D

We have had our Zenith 4 from new in 2002. We reqlly like it. Yes the build quality isn't as good as more expensive vans but the spec and weight for a family van is excellent for the price we paid. We have towed it with a Xantia petrol with no problems and now with a C5 diesel - don't even notice it's there!!!

We have not noticed any problems with the heater but we do tend to start it with gas and switch to electric after about 5 mins. :D

28191[/snapback]

Thanks for that, I really like my caravan too and little problems like the water heater are easilly overcome. It says on the web site for Lunar that the awning size is 875cm - can you tell me if this is correct? I was thionking of buying a Dorema awning and 875 is borderline between one size and another. Incidently if I bought another Caravan I would proberly buy a Lunar _ I really like the Clubman 470 and the price is fantastic compared to other manufacturers.