Passat 1.8s 20v Estate

mary ross

We've just bought a 1999 Lunar Clubman 2-475CK witha Motor Mover fitted. We have a 1999 Passat 1. 8S, 20V. We've been given several figures for kerbweight, but generally it's about 1360kg. The Caravan has an unladen weight of 920kg, + motor mover, and a total permitted weight of 1300kg. That's a massive payload, which I doubt we'll ever reach. We'll probably end up with a weight of around 1150kg. Does anyone else tow with this car? any other comments?

(My husband towed for about 12 years, but we've been away from caravanning for four years,a nd are just returning.)

This forum looks like an excellent idea - no one has any vested interests in any particular products etc! :rolleyes:

Guest john1215

It is a personal preference but I would always recommend towing with a diesel engine vehicle - why, because I like diesels but I'm told by the more technically minded memebers that the diesels have more torque and grunt, more power low down in the revs which is what counts. I have a diesel because I love 'em, I know very little about torque and grunt or Nms.

john1215

I am about to tow for the first time with a Passat 1. 8T estate this weekend. I will let you know how it fairs. Solo its a great car and I have no worries that it will not be the same with a van on the back

Forgot to mention - car weight VW seem to use the weight as the vehicle comes off the production line i. e with no fluids or extras. I think they changed this in 2003 to the more accepted standard. My 2002 model in the manual weighed 1350kg but I took it to the local weigh bridge and with an empty tank no accessories and no driver it weighed 1420kg which helps when working to the 85% guideline.

My limiting factor is the Maximum towing weight which seems very low on most passats. Mine for example is only 1300kg

Forgot to mention - car weight VW seem to use the weight as the vehicle comes off the production line i. e with no fluids or extras.   I think they changed this in 2003 to the more accepted standard.   My 2002 model in the manual weighed 1350kg but I took it to the local weigh bridge and with an empty tank no accessories and no driver it weighed 1420kg which helps when working to the 85% guideline.

My limiting factor is the Maximum towing weight which seems very low on most passats.   Mine for example is only 1300kg

10433[/snapback]

The weight issue relates to all VAG products. This was flagged by the CC,when conducting their Towcar of the Year tests in 2002. The weight differences in the 2 standards of configuration are up to 200kgs depending on model.

The diesels have a a higher towing limit, for instance the PD130 is 1600kgs. :)

Frank

I am about to tow for the first time with a Passat 1. 8T estate this weekend.   I will let you know how it fairs.   Solo its a great car and I have no worries that it will not be the same with a van on the back

10417[/snapback]

We have usually used diesels in the past, but we've just decided to go back to towing, and haven't had the car long, so we're hoping it will be ok. Is the 1. 8T a Turbo model? :huh:

Mary Ross

Towed for the first time today with my Passat 1. 8T. No problem at all even given the strong winds estimate my van weighted 1200kg. I had seen a few posts that concerned me over the ability of the petrol Passat to tow but my experience today leaves me happy.

We used to tow a Lunar Arianne 6 berth. They are much lighter some some makes and we towed with a Passat Estate 1. 9TDI. I am sure the 20V petrol is more than capable of pulling your van and you will have no problems at all. We have now switched to a Bailey Provence with is a much heavier van weighing in at 1205kg unladen. We have therefore upgraded the car to a Passat Estate 1. 9TDI PD 115. Which can tow up to 1600kg. This gives us plenty of scope for carrying weight and with the diesel we have the torque factor which is extremely good in the PD 115 and will be hopefully just right to pull the heavier van.

I have Passat 1. 8 SE 20V saloon and tow an Abbey GTS Vogue 216. While the 1. 8 has many qualities, a tow car is not one of them. It is right on the 85% limit (for my van) and has no acceleration when overtaking, my heart sinks when I see even a moderate gradient looming. I’ve read members reports with regard to the diesel and they seem to like it a whole lot better, so if the weight ratio is right, go for the diesel. The estate sounds good, as I’ve found that the boot, although big, by saloon standards just doesn’t take all the junk (necessary equipment) on top of a 2nd fridge (for the G & Ts) and the awning (if you don’t what to put it up). My only excuse is that I bought the car before I considered going back to caravanning. Check out http://www. whattowcar. com/ for car/caravan tow characteristics, I got it from a member on the old site so thanks go to her/him. :rolleyes: