Best Tow Car What Rubbish

Trevor

Hi All,

I know every one thinks they have got the best tow car in the world BUT towing is not the only thing 99% of us use our cars for.

As far as I can see as long as the car does a good job in all areas needed i. e no of seats req, size of boot and yes using it for towing your second home this is what should make a good all round car. at the end of the day how much time does the caravan actually spend on the back of the car.

Trevor.

Edited by BrianI

Trevor

You may well have a point. However it will depend on the type of caravanning you do and how much. If I did not tow, something like a Fiesta would probably be fine for us although a bit on the lowside (hip). But in a year 40/50% of our annual milage, the vast majority in Europe, is taken up by towing the van. If all I did was to visit sites within a 100 miles of where I live I would go along with your view. We only have to look after ourselves which makes it easier. If you have children that go with you its a different ballgame as far as transport.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

But my 7 seater 4 x 4 suits all my families needs with a frail disabled father and a Great Dane dog.

Adding the advantage of it's towing capacity is the icing on the cake <_<

We all are different that what makes us human :rolleyes: horses for courses as they say :huh:

Guess I'm lucky. ..

New Freelander as my Towcar, MX5 as Fun car, Fiesta as shoping and 'town' parking car and finaly my mountain bike ;) .

Horses for course but at the moment I wouldn't swap my 4x4 in fact I'm already thinking what I will change it for !!!

Good job we are not all the same :D

Scott

We are a family of four and have a omega saloon auto which we use for both business and pleasure, 1. it is a very comfortable ride with all gadgets on board. 2. the back seats recline for those dreaded flat packs and other things the wife buys from b&q, 3. the 2. 5 is a very reliable engine if looked after and should run forever if serviced when needed. 4. Its a good towcar. 5. We like its appearance and was not expensive to buy.

Each to their own, individuality's a great thing. :)

Hi Trevor,

I think that you have a valid point, it's just as important that the towing vehicle is a good all rounder. Having said that, we use our Mondeo mainly for towing, we use our Corsa for the majority of the time.

Yossa

How many of the new magic tow cars these days have a proper spare and not a doughnut spare? I astounded that reputable caravan magazines can award top marks to tow cars that do not have a proper full size spare!

Without the full size spare in the event of a puncture the tow car is virtually useless as a tow car and crippled as a normal car. My won car came with the imitation spare or space saver which I quickly changed to a full size spare when I started towing.

In addition, I carry a can of puncture sealant and a small compressor as I got stuck once and swore it would not happen again if I could help it! Puncture on a Saturday and unable to get a replacement tyre until the following Tuesday. Good job I was not towing at the time, but it was a long, slow painful drive back to the West Midlands from Wales on a Sunday.

im with you on this trevor. we drive a great big off roader 4x4(BAN EM)car. thing is its a better all rounder than any car ive every owned.

its got a 3. 1ltr diesel, which does 25 to 30mpg thats towing round town whatever. seats 7. easier to get in to better vision. .....blah blah blah. thing is about these 4x4s is who cares. ....we can do a lot more with these so called monsters than the person with the 2 seater sports car. lets see you tow a van with that, or do a family shop for 5. ....i am going on a bit. ...........sorry

ps i also own a saab 900(very old)now the wife wants to ban that. ;)