What Do You Drive Survey?

TrickyT

Have had a quick look at the results fromt he first 100 replies on the survey. Here are the results

So in reality we would have the following outfit

A privately owned 2000cc to 2999cc Diesel Vauxhall towing a 4 berth Bailey with end bathroom

1. Who manufacturs your tow car?

1 Vauxhall – 13. 1%

2 Ford 10. 1%

3= Landrover 9. 1%

3= Nissan 9. 1%

2. Towcar Model

Data need to be looked at.

3. Engine Size

1 2000cc to 2999cc 64%

2 Below 1999cc 27%

3 Above 3000cc 8%

4. Fuel type

1 Diesel 82%

2 Petrol 17%

3 Gas 1%

5. Company Car?

1 No 94. 8%

2 Yes 5. 2%

6. Caravan Manufacturer

1 Bailey 27. 6%

2 Swift 11. 2%

3 Elddis 9. 2%

7. Caravan Model

Data needs to be looked at

8. Number of berths

1 4 48. 5%

2 2 21. 2%

3 5 19. 2%

9. Fixed bed?

1 No 82. 3%

2 Yes 17. 7%

10. End bathroom?

1 Yes 50. 5

2 No 49. 5

Thanks for all the work you put into this TrickyT - very interesting!!

Do you think you ought to do a press release for Practical Caravan Magazine? :D

I was quite surprised at the large percentage of diesel cars.

How scary. I drive a privately owned Vauxhall Frontera, 2500cc Diesel, and tow an end bathroom Ace.

OH NO, i've become Mr Average!!!!!............lol.

Guest john1215

The figure for those who have a fixed bed is low, could this be due to the rest not having tried one. I was a sceptic, tried one and will never go back to a make up bed.

john1215

• 1 month later...

Great poll.

But I think that you have gone astray with the car manufacture figures as it only adds upto 41. 4%, what about the remaining 58. 6%? Mitsubishi's?! :rolleyes:

mmmm,

we got a swift challenger 470 se 2 berth, we tow with an audi a4 i. 9 tdi, now, we seem to be having problems with the van swaying when we tow, . .we have checkedweights, unloaded the thing, stopped at various and numerous locations to check if alls well inside, to no avail,...then some one said maybe the cars not heavy enough, i think they may be right, . .it tows the vans weight ok, but it dont seem to have the weight there if i have done my homework ok, i read that these audi,s are a light car anyway, can anyone else please add any more info on this, ? my other half is now seriously thinking of getting a 4x4, prob just to stop me panicking and watching the van in the mirrors for the duraton of a journey

mmmm,

we got a swift challenger  470 se 2 berth, we tow with an audi a4 i. 9 tdi,

it dont seem to have the weight there if i have done my homework ok, i read that these audi,s are a light car anyway,

19190[/snapback]

You've answered your own question. The max. weight of your van is 1270Kgs and the kerb weight of your car is a similar weight. Nothing really wrong with that, just so long as you are aware of it. My outfit of a few years ago consisted of a similar weight ratio. The car had more than sufficient power to pull the van, but did not give a relaxing tow.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

mmmm,

we got a swift challenger  470 se 2 berth, we tow with an audi a4 i. 9 tdi, now, we seem to be having problems with the van swaying when we tow, . .we have checkedweights, unloaded the thing, stopped at various and numerous locations to check if alls well inside, to no avail,...then some one said maybe the cars not heavy enough, i think they may be right, . .it tows the vans weight ok, but it dont seem to have the weight there if i have done my homework ok, i read that these audi,s are a light car anyway, can anyone else please add any more info on this, ? my other half is now seriously thinking of getting  a 4x4, prob just to stop me panicking and watching the van in the mirrors for the duraton of a journey

19190[/snapback]

Do you use a stabiliser?

Guest Lenny

I don't care what badge is on my towcar, or what prefix the registration plate is, as long as my van doesn't sway when towing.

And it doesn't. I dont think you can beat towing somewhere with no issues of snaking. My outfit is wonderfully stable, and i quite enjoy the challenge of towing as much as i do being away on a jaunt!!!

SAAB 9. 5 and Jaguar XJ6. ....definitely in the minority in both cases

Petrol, 4. 2

Swift Challenger 490SE

4 berth

Fixed Bed

Beautiful combinations, go anywhere, but have to watch rough ground with the Jag.

seems as tho you all have sussed this towing thing, . ..and yes we got a stabiliser etc etc, its just the car we think, anyway coming back from our last hol, we had a brilliant journey, no wobbling at all, then when we were getting the van ready to go back to its storage, we found out we had not emptied the water out of it, oops, another lesson learned, . ..its a steep learning curve this, . so we need more weight, as the extra water on board proved, we also only took one gas bottle with us, i spose when these weights are calculated they allow for 2 gas bottles, hence more weight to add, we will get it right one day, . ...still think we should change the flippin car

Bailey

4 Berth

End Bathroom

Diesel

2. 4 Litre

Not average but PERFECT

Volvo V70

I am very suprised that you caravan towed better with all the water in Wendy as if your car isnt heavy enough I would suggest moving all the heavy stuff ie awning, spare wheel, wheel clamps etc into your car just behind the front seats as you ned to make the car heavier and caravan lighter.

I would have thought that with the water in it would make it worse due to it being a heavy and b with it sloshing around it would make it a bit more unstable and add alot of nose weight.

Look into the nose weight. This may sound daft but it may not be heavy enough. When I picked my caravan up it started to snake at 40mph and then I put all the wheel clamps I had luckily in my car into the front of the caravan and it towed home like a dream.

I find around 75kg is best for my car. A bit naughty I know but I keep the boot empty to allow for the extra weight. Not highly recomended but has anyone tried to get a caravan to 50kg? Even with the front totaly empty and all heavy items over the axle? And as I proved above more nose weight helped my van as totaly empty the nose weight was 55kg to start with. On a loosing battle there and that is the same with all 4 vans I have towed.

A police man did stop me once and check everything including the nose weight as I look young and he allowed it as the car was still level and not back touching the ground and jockey wheel nearly touching ground. How anyone drives like that I have no idea. Steering must be nearly non existent

SAAB 9. 5  and  Jaguar XJ6. ....definitely in the minority in both cases

Petrol, 4. 2

Swift Challenger 490SE

4 berth

Fixed Bed

Beautiful combinations, go anywhere, but have to watch rough ground with the Jag.

19266[/snapback]

I thought the 490 was a double dinette 5 berth - or have you chucked out the bunk and use the rear as a fixed bed. If so, do you have a matress?

Mike

I thought the 490  was a double dinette 5 berth - or have you chucked out the bunk and use the rear as a fixed bed.   If so, do you have a matress?

Mike

21919[/snapback]

:D Quite right Mike, 490/5SE is a 5 berth double dinette. We've thrown out the rear single bunk and keep the rear dinette permanently made up with a mattress. Lovely comfortable, lots of room, wouldn't change it. We've considered a new fixed bed but decided to keep our faithful 490. Prefer the all in one wash room and lots of galley (or do people call them kitchens now) space.