Alko Stabiliser

Hodkys

Hello Folks,

I picked up our Bailey Pageant Provence from storage on Friday. It had not been towed for approx 7/8. Whilst towing, and especially at low speeeds, it made a tremendous creaking noise from the towbar.

I suspect it has something to do with the ALKO 2004 stabiliser. My towbar is detachable and so was clean and dry. Is this noise usual after such a lay-off, or do I need to do something with the stabiliser itself.

Any help is much appreciated,

Thanks

The Hodkys

One problem causing creaking is the plated coating on a new towball which should be removed by fine emery paper. If your towball is old, the noise should disappear after time as the pads bed in.

Brian

Thanks Brian,

The towball is new, but had the coating removed by the dealer when we collected the caravan. It didnt creak when we dropped it off at storage, though it was taken to its spot by the guy at the storage.

Could it be his towball that caused the problem, do I need to clean the pads and how?

THanks,

The Hodkys

I had a similar problem and it was down to a slightly dirty towball. Although it may look clean t could have small specks on it that are rubbing o the stabiliser pads or it could be specks on the pads. I normally start with a quick rub over the towball with emery paper, this normally does the trick, if not a quick gentle rub of the pads with emery paper will remove any specks of dust. I have had to clean my towall twice in three years on both occasions problem solved.

Thanks for that,

I know my Towball may have very small rust specks on it sowill give it a clean. However, whats difference between fine sandpaper and emery cloth? Also, How do I get at the pads to rub them down? Do I remove them (if so how?)

Cheers,

The Hodkys

If there is any chace the pads have been contaminated with grease, use brake cleaner (available from any good motor factor outlet or Halfords) to clean the pads, apply liberally and let dry thoroughly.

If the storage place moved the van with a grease covered towball it may have contaminated the friction pads, use some emery paper to clean them as well.

10088[/snapback]

If the storage place moved the van they shouldn't be using the stabiliser. Surely you only apply the stabiliser when out on the road. I was told to lift up the arm of the stabiliser when manouvering the van, and particularly when reversing.

I thought the noise from stabilisers was a caravanning noise. I have a leef type stabiliser and mine squeecks at low speeds and so does my Dads. I find it quiet useful to be honest as I know it hasn't fallen off the caravan bracket (the Alko hitch types wont have that problem) but it is reasuring to know that it is still working if it squeeks and to be honest how often do you go at slow speeds? Ok going along lanes to a CL or the roads to your house but most of the towing I find is along motorways where it doesn't squeek.

y advise is if it aint broke dont mend it. Does it still feel as if the stabiliser is doing it's job? If it is what is a little squeeking around slow corners?

Archived