Pulling 1000kg Over Gravel !

Caravan Dan

I enjoy every aspect of caravanning except the pain and frustration in dragging my caravan across the gravel base of the storage to a spot where I can hitch up and drive out safely between the other caravans. Not easy. ......"Get a Mover" I hear you cry! If I had £800+ to spare I would have one tomorrow.

Are there any alternatives, eg DIY jobs etc that I could consider? Surely there is something out there I can make or bolt on to my jockey wheel to wind and give me some movement over 20-50 feet. This would make life much easier and easier and lower the blood pressure during hitching !

Hi Dan

have you considered a winch that you can somehow attach to the car to pull the van or can you not get the car in front of the van to give it a straight pull?

If you can try www. winchwarehouse. co. uk they got then there that will pull up to 2500lbs (about 1130kg) for about £85

I used one when we lived in a house with a steep drive, its slow but effective.

Cheers

Oscar

"Can you not get the car in front of the van to give it a straight pull?

Exactly right Oscar, the caravans are tightly packed and manouevering round 2 very tight corners hitched up is nothing short of impossible. It's some contraption I can bolt on to the jockey wheel and winch to move the caravan forward I am trying to visualise then hitch up where it's safe to do so. I thought there would be something out there but maybe not ???

I enjoy every aspect of caravanning except the pain and frustration in dragging my caravan across the gravel base of the storage to a spot where I can hitch up and drive out safely between the other caravans. Not easy. ......"Get a Mover" I hear you cry! If I had £800+ to spare I would have one tomorrow.

Are there any alternatives, eg DIY jobs etc that I could consider? Surely there is something out there I can make or bolt on to my jockey wheel to wind and give me some movement over 20-50 feet. This would make life much easier and easier and lower the blood pressure during hitching !

9979[/snapback]

Hi, The best and only solution to your problem is to find alternative storage. But to quote an infamous phrase, "seek and ye shall find". I was unhappy with a particular storage site for other reasons but if you search hard enough you will find another storage site, believe me.

No matter how much you spend on possible solutions it will not really solve your frustrations 100%. Save your dosh and move to a more suitable site, Rob.

"Can you not get the car in front of the van to give it a straight pull?

Exactly right Oscar, the caravans are tightly packed and manouevering round 2 very tight corners hitched up is nothing short of impossible. It's some contraption I can bolt on to the jockey wheel and winch to move the caravan forward I am trying to visualise then hitch up where it's safe to do so. I thought there would be something out there but maybe not ???

9987[/snapback]

Hi Dan,

I have seen an Alko winch fitted to a foreign caravan (LMC I think). It was built in to the A frame and was operated by the corner steady handle. You attached the end of the cable to the car's towball then wind in the cable from the winch on the caravan.

From what I remember you couldn't see the winch - it was hidden beneath the caravan's fairing - just a hole on the side where you shoved the winding handle - very neat and simple idea!

I've found a price list on the Alko website, but no pictures! I think it might be this one or similar - different sizes etc.

WINCHES

244893 Type 351 Winch - with load reverse brake £51. 49 £60. 50

http://www. al-ko. co. uk/mailorder/pdf/al-koaccpric2003. pdf

Having a mover fitted need not be as expensive as you first think. We have just had a s/h but reconditioned Carver unit fitted by a local independant service engineer Romford Caravans see http://romfordcaravans. tripod. com. Cost far far less than the figures you are quoting fully fitted. Worth a call to him or another like him in your own area there are some bargains out there (provided of course you deal with known and trusted people, often friends and fellow caravanners can assist here with info)

Well worth hunting them out and seeing what they have at any given time.

PS not associated with Romford Caravans in any way except as a very very satisfied customer.

I know they are expensive but a motor mover seems like a sound answer and could be used in other circumstances as well as your storage site. Powrtouch also do good reconditioned units with a 3yr warranty. As far as finance is concerned how about sticking it on an interest free credit card then moving it to another interest free card when the first interest free period runs out. That way you can pay back manageable monthly amounts, without interest, over a period of time.

Regards

David, Callum and Connor (NRF)

Ive been told that a pneumatic jockey wheel makes manouvering over gravel a lot easier when your manhandling the van. So Ive just ordered one 28 quid from towsure. I would love a caravan mover but close on a thousand quid seems an awful lot of money for a couple of elecrtric motors.

Ive been told that a pneumatic jockey wheel makes manouvering over gravel a lot easier when your manhandling the van.   So Ive just ordered one 28 quid from towsure.   I would love a caravan mover but close on a thousand quid seems an awful lot of money for a couple of elecrtric motors.

10013[/snapback]

A pneumatic jockey wheel sounds like a good start or mayb'e a new wife built like Martin Johnson! Ok. .........point taken, I'll get a pneumatic jockey wheel.

Pnematic jockey is certainly a help, but gravel aint the ideal surface to manhandle across . . a powered jockey would do the job, but I wouldnt recommend the handcranked version . . (too much like being in the gym) . . a hitch mover would be better but you still have to have somewhere secure to leave it when away . .

like the others say . . ideally a mover (save your ciggie money . . I see someone is advertising a twin axle Carver mover for 750 ish on the forum) or another storage

weve gone 'ski-ing' and are getting a Powrtouch

Hi

We had a problem with the texture of our site on the front of our house. We get round it by using 4 sheets of hardboard that we use to make a path in front of the jockey wheel. The jockey wheel moves smoothly over this and with 4 you can keep pulling the back one round to the front to keep extending the path as you move the van over. These only cost a couple of pounds each at B & Q.

How about talking to the site owner and the other caravan owners and see if you could all put some money in as I am guessing everyone else has the same problem.

If you did all club together how about buying the cheapest patio slabs around and laying a path of slabs between the gravel for the jockey wheel to run on? That way it would benefit everyone and it is sharing the cost and the owner of the site may even pay for it if he / she sees your problem.

Where my caravan is stored it used to be on grass and if it even thought about raining no car could get in the grass to even get to the caravan let alone pull it out and the farmer had to get the caravans in and out. Safe in a way as thieves needed a tractor to remove the caravan but a pain in most ways. Now the farmer has laid LOADS of hardcore down for us.

It is worth a try

Good luck

I can only agree with Robin, Try and find another site, why should you have to go to extra expense when your current site owner is being that greedy and packing the vans in.

Easier said than done I know. :(

Archived