Caravan Wiring

rod

hi do you rewire a caravan like a house every so many years as mine is 20 years old and not to sure if it needs doing :D

My concern over any advice you receive is this. ...............

Was the van wired properly to start with. Are they original factory fitted electrics or has someone done a 'DIY' job by putting 240V lights etc. in.

I have seen older caravans that originally had no hook up facility where someone has just run what amounts to a series of extension leads around the van connecting all lights/sockets etc to a cable which connects to the hook up post.

There has been no consideration for fuses/trips etc. and it is an accident waiting to happen.

My advice would be to take it to a dealer for a quick look. Most reputable dealers will give you a condition survey for a few pounds which should include the electrics.

What price should we put on the safety of our families?.................A few pounds is nothing, surely!

My concern over any advice you receive is this. ...............

Was the van wired properly to start with. Are they original factory fitted electrics or has someone done a 'DIY' job by putting 240V lights etc. in.

I have seen older caravans that originally had no hook up facility where someone has just run what amounts to a series of extension leads around the van connecting all lights/sockets etc to a cable which connects to the hook up post.

There has been no consideration for fuses/trips etc. and it is an accident waiting to happen.

My advice would be to take it to a dealer for a quick look. Most reputable dealers will give you a condition survey for a few pounds which should include the electrics.

What price should we put on the safety of our families?.................A few pounds is nothing, surely!

700[/snapback]

Karls correct instating about fuse and rccd protection the other area over looked is the critical part of earth bonding the various exposed metals Ie van chassis and alloy body, stainless steel sink tops etc

Have the van electrialy inspected and test to" 16 Edition electrical installation complete with the cerificate. . for touring and motor homes ( Leisure use ) Schedule of items inspected and tested sections 712/714

Reagrds Dave

Bear in mind the new electrical regulations that came into force 1 Jan 2005. Not sure if they apply to caravans. In a nutshell, you may replace switches etc but rewiring, new items etc must be fited by registered electricians in much the same way as gas/CORGI registered.

hi all,

Your right about the new regs from 01/01/05, they do apply to caravans and motor caravans, they basically mean you are only allowed to change socket fronts and switches in areas of low risk(i. e not in bathrooms,pool areas etc).

You are prohibited from installing extra sockets or light fittings on existing curcuits, and also from installing new circuits.

Don't knowhow they are going to "police" it yet, but there is talk of getting insurance companies involved which would basically mean no certificate - no insurance and could mean you would need to have an inspection each year.

Ray

hi all,

Your right about the new regs from 01/01/05, they do apply to caravans and motor caravans, they basically mean you are only allowed to change socket fronts and switches in areas of low risk(i. e not in bathrooms,pool areas etc).

You are prohibited from installing extra sockets or light fittings on existing curcuits, and also from installing new circuits.

Don't knowhow they are going to "police" it yet, but there  is talk of getting insurance companies involved which would basically mean no certificate - no insurance and could mean you would need to have an inspection each year.

Ray

3767[/snapback]

Hi Ray

The electrical regs seam to be becoming a mirror of the gas corgi regs. Its in the proposal / panning stage that in 2006/7 the domestic home will require A test certificate cost about £250 - 300. Insurance companys will require the "Test certificate" before issue of insurance. The test cert will be issued for 1 - 10 years dependent on the electrical test results ( computerised ) The electrican will have to be accredeted. From this it looks like the insurance company will enforce the "policing " along side the local buildings inspecters

Part "P" regs:- alterations/ new installations 2005 must be carried out by an electrican regestered and approved ( accredited ) by the local council

Non accedited electrical work / home diy with have to be inspected by the local building inspectors. at a COST to the home owner or non accredited electrican.

This is my understanding of the new part "P" regs , as im back ground is as engineer in the industrial buliding maintainance please feel fee to correct / educate me on this issue

Land lords (property rental )will be the first to have to comply

As there is a shortage of electricans will people be able to compily and if so at what caost ??

Dave

Archived