Hot Clutches

Frank.A

The smell of burning clutch plates seems to becoming more common with different makes of vehicle,expecially when manoeuvring with a caravan at low speed,in particular when reversing on to a pitch.

I have towed with several makes of car and never had any clutch smell until buying the Passat. So why should a modern sophisticated vehicle suffer from something that my older cars did not.

Could it be down to the dreaded electronics,in particular the Traction Control system(sometimes called the ASR system).This works in the opposite sense to ABS so that if the system senses increase in wheel speed with no vehicle speed increase,it puts the brake on that wheel in an attempt to maintain traction.

So when we are reversing on to a pitch is the poor old clutch having to work against the weight of the van and the cars brakes.

The next time that I am manoeuvring the van I will switch of the Traction Control to check the effect. Although some systems cannot be fully turned off.

I remember reading about someone with a Mercedes SLK and a steeply sloping drive. When the drive was icy,the car would not move at all and he had to go to work by bus. :lol:

Any thoughts on the subject?

Frank

Guest john1215

Frank,

I haven't noticed any burning smell during the last year at all though I think your theory about the traction control ASP, ESP or whatever it is called makes good sense.

john1215

The smell of burning clutch plates seems to becoming more common with different makes of vehicle,expecially when manoeuvring with a caravan at low speed,in particular when reversing on to a pitch.

I have towed with several makes of car and never had any clutch smell until buying the Passat. So why should a modern sophisticated vehicle suffer from something that my older cars did not.

Could it be down to the dreaded electronics,in particular the  Traction Control system(sometimes called the ASR system).This works in the opposite sense to ABS so that if the system senses increase in wheel speed with no vehicle speed increase,it puts the brake on that wheel in an attempt to maintain traction.

So when we are reversing on to a pitch is the poor old clutch having to work against the weight of the van and the cars brakes.

The next time that I am manoeuvring the van I will switch of the Traction Control to check the effect. Although some systems cannot be fully turned off.

I remember reading about someone with a Mercedes SLK and a steeply sloping drive. When the drive was icy,the car would not move at all and he had to go to work by bus. :lol:

Any thoughts on the subject?

Frank

9814[/snapback]

I'm no expert but may have something to do with the materials used nowdays for the friction surfaces (non asbestos).

Martin W

Discovery D3 HSE + Coachman VIP 575/4 2016

www.pennplanning.co.uk

I'm no expert but may have something to do with the materials used nowdays for the friction surfaces (non asbestos).

Martin W

9828[/snapback]

Hi Martin,

I owned Saabs for 20years and never had any clutch problems. Saab were pioneers in asbestos free brakes and clutches,but yes, it could still have a bearing on the issue. :unsure:

Frank

I thinks its that the manufacturers make everything as cheaply as possible - the clutch will be fine for "normal" driving but as soon as you do something over the " normal" it struggles . a clutch thats more substantial would dissipate the heat better . ...its a sad downside of "progress"

I 've had the same problem in several cars in recent years - golf, primera, octavia

marc