Jeep Cherokee

Marc Ranger 500

Hi,

We are looking at getting a 2. 8 diesel Jeep Cherokee as our main car (i. e. sell mine and my wifes cars and using the Jeep for everything from towing the caravan to using it for work).

A few questions for you Cherokee owners.

1, How/can you attach an ALKO stabiliser to the Jeep with the spare wheel in place?

2, Does the cruise control work at any speed (i. e. will it work in a 30MPH zone)?

3, Whats the max noseweight on a Cherokee?

4, Are they good at towing?

5, Are they a good drive when solo?

Cheers in advance.

Marc.

P. S. We were thinking of getting a Nissan X-Trail but decided to go for the Jeep. ... is this a good idea.

Marc.

P. S. We were thinking of getting a Nissan X-Trail but decided to go for the Jeep. ... is this a good idea.

9792[/snapback]

Depends on your priorities - if economy is important to you then it is a bad idea to go for the jeep.

Hi Marc, I have a 2. 5 cherokee ltd manual, On a long run It returns about 28 mpg towing the cruise control dosn't work below 40 mph, tows our Abbey with ease, I think the nose weight limit is around 100kg, solo drives very well, the wife loves it,we don't have any problem with the Alko hitch, All I can say about the 2. 8 is a Friend of mine has one, an auto box he says he's lucky to get 15mpg when towing. George

Hi,

Thanks to Metz for answering each question in turn here. I understand that you're looking at the diesel engine option Marc but I'd like to add a few facts for your consideration. As you can see from the foot of my posts we run a Grand Cherokee 4. 7ltr. "Ouch" I hear you say, "must be expensive and damaging the environment". In its standard set-up this is probably true, but we have had ours professionally converted to run on LPG. Now the emissions are incredibly low when compared to both petrol and diesel engines. So low I'm told, that when driving in a city centre, the exhaust fumes are cleaner than the air around that is being drawn into the engine! I'll take that with a pinch of salt, but what I do know is that the fuel cost per mile, is slightly less than our other car with a 999cc petrol engine. Now that's seriously cheap motoring, and as a bonus for a one off payment of £10 to register the vehicle for the year, I can make as many trips as I like into the centre of London without being liable for the congestion charge. I'm not advocating use of a 4x4 in towns, that's not what they're designed for despite the number you see on the school run. No, we chose this vehicle primarily for its kerbweight that allows the towing of a large twin axle caravan. Couple this with its "get out of a muddy field" ability, as we use the caravan almost exclusively for rallying, and I think the Jeep is a good all round choice for the caravanner.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Hi,

As you can see from the foot of my posts we run a Grand Cherokee 4. 7ltr. "Ouch" I hear you say, "must be expensive and damaging the environment". In its standard set-up this is probably true, but we have had ours professionally converted to run on LPG. Now the emissions are incredibly low when compared to both petrol and diesel engines. So low I'm told, that when driving in a city centre, the exhaust fumes are cleaner than the air around that is being drawn into the engine! I'll take that with a pinch of salt, but what I do know is that the fuel cost per mile, is slightly less than our other car with a 999cc petrol engine. Now that's seriously cheap motoring, and as a bonus for a one off payment of £10 to register the vehicle for the year, I can make as many trips as I like into the centre of London without being liable for the congestion charge. ........I think the Jeep is a good all round choice for the caravanner.

Gordon.

9963[/snapback]

Hi Gordon

I would agree with everything that you have said here especially the fact that you need a heavy vehicle to tow a big caravan.

However when you are talking about economy and comparing the cost of running your Jeep with your 999cc car, you have forgotten to include one important factor in the equation. That is the initial cost of the LPG system which must be about £1000 ish I should imagine. When you add in that cost, how does economy compare with the 999 cc car?

:) We have a Cherokee CRD 2. 5. .....great tow car.

As for fuel consumption, its better then the Picasso 1. 8lx petrol we had before. ;)

Small 4x4 with the power of the big guys and voted best 4x4 2005.

Only thing I can fault them on is. .the electric mirrors.

The motor in them is not powerful enough to fold them back when parking on a narrow road etc. ......works for the first 20 or so times then gives up.

I'm onto my second set :rolleyes: .

Another good towing 4x4 is the KIA Sorento.

I have chatted to many owners of them on sites and they seem very pleased. :)

Some dealers WILL fit a towbar on a Jeep and let you test drive with your caravan and The KIA dealer told me he would do that for us, before we bought the Jeep.

ATB, Lee :)

Thankyou for all your replies.

Lee, I have been seriously thinking about getting a KIA Sorento as your post suggests especially seeing that it has all the toys that I am used to having (i. e. Cruise control that works at any speed and Climate control).

We do love the idea of the Jeep Cherokee but I like the extras that the KIA gives you.

I am going to test drive them both (and I think I will ask about test driving them with the caravan on) so that I can make a decision.

Cheers

Marc

Hi Gordon

I would agree with everything that you have said here especially the fact that you need a heavy vehicle to tow a big caravan.

However when you are talking about economy and comparing the cost of running your Jeep with your 999cc car, you have forgotten to include one important factor in the equation. That is the initial cost of the LPG system which must be about £1000 ish I should imagine. When you add in that cost, how does economy compare with the 999 cc car?

9989[/snapback]

The figures are surprisingly favourable. The cost of the conversion was £2,800:00 (well it is a V8 engine) but reduce that by £800 with a “powershift” grant from the government for converting to a cleaner fuel. The balance of £2,000 was covered as shown.

Petrol cost 89p/ltr

LPG cost 27p/ltr (bulk purchase on contract)

Saving per litre 89p – 27p = 62p

Fuel saving at approx 15mpg = 15/4. 5= 3. 3333mpl or 62p/3. 3333 = 18. 6pence/mile

£2,000/18. 6p = 10,753miles to recover the cost. In my case this was approximately 7 months of driving. I drive around 18 – 19,000 miles a year so I’m currently saving £3K to £3. 5K a year on fuel.

Comparing current forecourt prices of 42p/ltr for LPG and 90p for petrol the payback time today would be approx 14,300miles or 9 months.

And you cannot take an LPG powered car on "le shuttle"

9994[/snapback]

I see that as a loss of my revenue for Le Shuttle, but no great inconvenience to me since the total journey time to France from Dover is very similar whether one travels over or under the sea. I do however use the tunnel for day trips using a petrol car.

Regards,

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

you can`t replace just one (worn) tyre you have to replace them all or it wears out the diff. ....just thought it was nonsence?

10161[/snapback]

That's a new one on me but it sounds like a tyre salesmans dream! Certainly on the Grand Cherokee with permanent 4x4 drive, the tyres do wear more rapidly than on 4x4’s that have the option of 2x4 drive.

regards,

Gordon.

That's a new one on me but it sounds like a tyre salesmans dream! Certainly on the Grand Cherokee with permanent 4x4 drive, the tyres do wear more rapidly than on 4x4’s that have the option of 2x4 drive.

regards,

Gordon.

10492[/snapback]

Gordon,

I had no idea that Grand Cherokees where permanant 4x4. ......How many sets of tyres have you had on yours. ?

Gordon,

I had no idea that Grand Cherokees where permanant 4x4. ......How many sets of tyres have you had on yours. ?

10496[/snapback]

Hi,

A set lasts about 40,000 miles but they all wear at a very even rate, so barring punctures you will need to budget for a full set when replacement time comes. The smaller Cherokees were part-time 4x4, but I'm not certain if this is still the case with the current models.

I had two sets of tyres with our previous Grand Cherokee, trading it in just before the third set was needed. The Current one has just had it's second set fitted.

Hope that helps. ...

Gordon.

:) Thanks Gordon, we have a Cherokee but are thinking of buying the Grand Cherokee next. ....all these things like tyres etc have to be taken into account.

I was at Jeep on Saturday, I am not sure on another point with the Grand Cherokee. .they are all automatic gearboxes.

I have driven a Lexus Auto and was not very keen. ....my Cherokee is manual.

How does the automatic tow Gordon? :)

Certainly all those with the 4. 7L V8 and 4. 0L straight 6 Petrol engines are all autos. I believe that the 2. 7L CRD Sport is supplied with a manual box though. Take a look arouund the Jeep website at http://www. chryslerjeep. co. uk/ for the latest details.

http://media. chrysler. co. uk/ is also worthy of a visit.

Best Regards,

Gordon.

I've got a 2. 7 CRD Grand Cherokee and it tows very well, the cruise control works from about 15mph, I get about 30 mpg solo and about 25 towing, it does about 70 mph at 2500 rpm and red lines at just over 4000 rpm. A set of tyres lasted about 45K and the wear was even - I was quoted between £95 & £200 plus fitting a tyre. I've recently been having problems with the auto box (a Mercedes design and build apparently), it used or lost most of the gearbox oil, still waiting to hear if Chrysler are going to replace the box under warranty - it has 51K on the clock. The mirrors lose their setting (part of the front seat memory set up) and I've had them replaced, a common fault. Servicing cost are high just cost me £510 for a 48K service, 8 litres of engine oil at over £10 + vat per litre :angry:

As it happens I have the latest GC Sport brochure and all GC' are permanent 4x4 automatics, 5 speed on the diesel, 4 speed on the 4. 0 ltr petrol.

And, yes it is true that if the tyre wear is such that the differences in the wheel diameters is greater than 2mm all tyres will need to be replaced (see my comments on the thread about the Volvo XC70) otherwise expensive damage can be caused to the viscous couplings and/or gearbox - it happened to me :( - as did having to have 4 new tyres to fix an unrepairable puncture - a nail in the tyre wall.

Other than that it's great but not as good as the beamer X5 4. 8 with every toy known to man fitted, driven by a guy that called on me recently - now that's a car :P

Phil

Thanks phil, all worth a think.

I may buy the BMW X5 4. 8, thing is Sarah. .the better half. .does not that keen on becoming a lady of the night after her day job, to pay for it. :rolleyes:

Kids down the mine then :D

Thanks, Lee

10774[/snapback]

Yes the beamer is a lovely piece of kit and I can still hear the throb of the engine - music to the ears but with a close to £60K starting price and the satnav coming in at £2. 5K you'll need to get to work on a few more kids and hope they're daughters to join their mum in the evening job, there's not much money in the mines these days :rolleyes:

Cheers

Phil

Is it true that you can`t replce just one (worn) tyre you have to replace them all or it wears out the diff, sold a few of them in the past and just thought it was nonsence?

10161[/snapback]

regards,

Gordon.

10492[/snapback]

So for once I was right, can sleep better at night knowing that all the lies I told about the said vehicle (when tryna slot one into a punter)at least one of them was true lol

Is it true that you can`t replce just one (worn) tyre you have to replace them all or it wears out the diff, sold a few of them in the past and just thought it was nonsence?

10161[/snapback]

Hi Guys,

I've posted on this subject a couple of times now but at the risk of becoming a bore here goes again.

A few years ago I had a Volvo V70XC Cross Country AWD on lease as a company car from Volvo and at the time I was working on a project for Kwik Fit in Edinburgh. Anyway, I had to have the front tyres replaced due to normal wear, only to later receive a phone call from my local branch of KF where the fronts had been changed to say that Volvo had contacted them to say that I needed the rears replaced as the difference in tread depth was greater than 2mm. At the time of the call I was in KF's Head Office so spoke to one of my contacts (he wasn't a tyre salesman) who dug out a service bulletin which confirmed this. I remember a while previous to this a report on Watchdog of selectable 4x4's ie some of the earlier Grand Cherokees, Discos and the like complaining of cars dropping our of 4 wheel drive to 2 wheel drive and of gearboxes being damaged. This service bulletin cited all of these problems as possible effects of not keeping the tread depths within 2mm. The V70XC although being a permanent all wheel drive under normal conditions is biased towards being a front wheel drive with most (80% ish) of the power being directed there with subsequant heavier tyre wear on the front then the rears. Just before I returned the car with 99K miles on the clock I had to have both viscous couplings (a major part of the drive train) replaced and this was put down to the difference in tyre wear. The car in question was an R plate and they may well have improved the drive train since then. On one occasion I did have all 4 tyres replaced because of an unrepairable puncture on one of them - as any company car driver will tell you what leasing company will willingly do that.

My experience of my first set of tyres on my current Grand Cherokee is that the tyre wear is very even, the handbook recommends that the wheels are rotated at each service but I don't think this happens in reality and I got about 45K out of them.

I promise to shut up about this now but as far as I'm concerned it isn't a myth and I keep a very close check on my tyre tread depth. Dealers seem to be unaware of the problem or else they choose to ignore it but as you say the tyre salemen will have a keen interest in it.

Phil

I remember a while previous to this a report on Watchdog of selectable 4x4's ie some of the earlier Grand Cherokees, Discos and the like

10875[/snapback]

AFAIK Disco's are not selectable 4wd, the last truly selecatble 4wd land rover was the series 3 & (a very few) early 110's.

:D  See you like the point philb is making, oldeng :blink:

You are pressing quote i think instead of reply. :)

Try again mate.

10927[/snapback]

Thanks Brett family.

We have been towing with a 2. 5 TD Grand Cherokee for the past 6 years and have had no probs to date .

The last set of tyres lasted 35k, solo it will return 30mpg and towing about 18/20mpg

The max nose weight on my Grand is 120kg and I load my Delta 520/2 to 100kg and it tows well.

I collected the van from the dealers this am (round trip of 95 mls) in high winds and it was ok.

Regards

Oldeng :D