How Do You Heat Your Awning ?

jEZMO

I was just wondering how everybody heats their awning during late winter, early spring and in the autumn. At the moment I only have a 2 bar 800watt heater (each bar being 400 watts). This will get a small area around the heater fairly warm but the other end of the awning is cold. How do others keep there awnings warm? Is there a heater that will warm the whole awning up?

HI JEZMO I DONT HAVE AN AWNING YET BUT WHEN I WAS AT A MEET IN OCTOBER SOME PEOPLE HAD THE HALLOGEN HEATERS IN THIER AWNINGS. YOU GET THEM IN POUNDSTREACHERS AT THE MOMENT FOR ONLY £15 FOR THE 1200 WWHICH HAS 3 HEAT SETTINGS AND ALSO SWIVELS TO DISTRIBUTE THE HEAT OR YOU CAN SET IT WITHOUT MOVING,THE ALSO HAVE A SMALLED ONE FOR £7 800W WITH 2 HEAT SETTING WHICH I HAVE JUST BOUGHT FOR MY LITTLE VAN. THESE HEATERS ARE VERY VERY LIGHT AND ALSO HAVE A SAFETY CUT OFF SWITCH IF ANYONE BUMPS INTO IT ETC.

HI JEZMO I DONT HAVE AN AWNING YET BUT WHEN I WAS AT A MEET IN OCTOBER SOME PEOPLE HAD THE HALLOGEN HEATERS IN THIER AWNINGS. YOU GET THEM IN POUNDSTREACHERS AT THE MOMENT FOR ONLY £15 FOR THE 1200 WWHICH HAS 3 HEAT SETTINGS AND ALSO SWIVELS TO DISTRIBUTE THE HEAT OR YOU CAN SET IT WITHOUT MOVING,THE ALSO HAVE A SMALLED ONE FOR £7 800W WITH 2 HEAT SETTING WHICH I HAVE JUST BOUGHT FOR MY LITTLE VAN. THESE HEATERS ARE VERY VERY LIGHT AND ALSO HAVE A SAFETY CUT OFF SWITCH IF ANYONE BUMPS INTO IT ETC.

9781[/snapback]

We have the Hallogen type. brill instant heat. and with two dogs. .if the heater gets pushed over there is an instant switch off. ...cost about 20 quid last year. ...well worth considering

Guest john1215

Lets hear it for the brandy solution.

Doesn't the external heat source cause excessive condensation though. I've never bothered with the a heater in the awning for that reason.

john1215

Hello folks I use a fan heater from argos but i can`t remember what the power rating is but it does the job

DAVY

Heating of awnings seems such a waste of energy as there is not much insulation to keep the heat in although it's not quite as bad as patio heaters. It's a shame that are creature comforts have reached this extreme! Although I have used a fan heater to take the chill off on cold autumn evenings so I'm just as guilty as the next person. :o

Hi we use a dimplex fan heater purchased from plumbcenter it has two heater settings 1000watts/2000watts we used it in our new awning last weekend (because we wanted to sit in it and try it out lol) and it was great kept us pretty warm, we use the same heater to warm the van and it always seems to have no trouble in heating the van out. :)

There have been several dicussion about this on the forum, a quick search will find them.

We originally purchased a low wattage halogen heater when we first tried out our new awning in November. It was OK, but the halogen heater only heats the person, not the air, so it was OK if you were next to it but the rest of the awning did not heat up. It also gives out plenty of light so you could not leave it on low overnight.

We also looked at an oil filled radiatior but decided it would be too heavy and bulky.

The best option is a fan heater, blows the warm air around the awning and can be easily moved if required. REmember a 2kw heater will use just over 8 amps so if possible use on the 1kw setting.

Regards

Trevor

"We sometimes have cereal or a fry up but never tried a warm awning for breakfast, must be expensive so how does it taste "

Ho, Ho - very droll . .. I suspect our awning would be a bit chewy, heated or cold !

Good article on awning heaters in Februarys Practical Caravan magazine :

http://www. practicalcaravan. co. uk/product/feb05. html

Cheers

Sarah

"We sometimes have cereal or a fry up but never tried a warm awning for breakfast, must be expensive so how does it taste "

Ho, Ho - very droll . .. I suspect our awning would be a bit chewy, heated or cold  !

Good article on awning heaters in Februarys Practical Caravan magazine :

http://www. practicalcaravan. co. uk/product/feb05. html

Cheers

Sarah

10266[/snapback]

Nice to see humour creeping back in. If you're after a halogen heater you can get a 1200w for £9. 99 from Superpound.

Mike