Rover 620i + Sterling 520nt

youngjimmy22

I have seen a Sterling 520nt 4 berth for sale and I am not sure whether it is ok for my car regarding weights.

I have been told that the mgw of the caravan is 1200kg (most caravans aren't spot on 1200kg I have found) and the user payload is 211kg.

The kerb weight of my car is 1245kg with nothing in it including me so if I sit in it to drive it which I intend to be that kerb weight will up to 1310kg plus by the time I have put the 2 wheel clamps in the car and hitch lock and my tool box that lives in the car that weighs at least 13kg the kerb weight in theory would go up. Also I wouldn't ever get close to 211kg of stuff I would have thought.

I am not 100% sure about what I have been told by the owner of the caravan. Any one else got a Sterling 520nt and can tell me the weights?

Love to hear your thoughts

James

Hi Jimmy,

If your quoted kerbweight of 1245kgs is definitely empty,then to convert to current accepted kerbweight including driver,90%tank of fuel and 7kgs of luggage,brings the kerbweight up to about 1350kgs.

According to the link below if the Sterling 520nt is a 1999 it's MTPLM is 1230kgs including a user payload of 250kgs. This would give aratio of 91%.To reduce this to 85% you need to reduce the user payload by 80kgs.

It looks possible to put the extra in the car,but dont exceed the max gross weight of the car. What is the cars towing limit as advised by Rover?

http://www. eclipse. co. uk/samwise/frameset. htm

Frank

Hi Jimmy,

The axle limit applies to max gross weight,so at 1820 kgs,the max axle weight allowed in your case is 910kgs on each axle adding up to 1820kgs.

The manufacturers towing limit is usually the 12% hill restart weight so the van is too heavy for your car. The plated MTPLM of your van must not exceec 1200kgs. Even if you reduce the user payload the plated weight is still higher than your cars towing limit,and this is taken as the legal limit. :(

http://www. ntta. co. uk/law/preparing/preparing. htm

Frank

I think you'll find that the quoted figure (910kg) on the back axle includes the car, the car's load and the noseweight of the caravan, not just the load you put into the car.

The caravan will be on the maximum of my car as the cars max o a hill is 1200kg and the caravans mgw is 1200 i am on the max. Not a good situation I am guessing.

This is all down to if the mgw of the caravan is 1200kg of course. I cant find any web site that will tell me what it actualy is.

The caravan weights should be on a plate or label on the caravan. Trouble is with manufacturers websites is that they only give the weights for current models.

Note that the stability weight guidance of 85% is based on caravan actual weight against car kerbweight. Putting extra weight in the car, such as toolboxes, does not change the kerbweight of the car. Kerbweight is kerbweight although as Frank says you may use the EU definition which may give you a better ratio.

Brian