Toyote Avensis /bailey Ranger 470/4

mark/jayne

After a wait of only2 months we pick our new van the Bailey Ranger 470/4 from couplands of louth.

we have a toyote avensis 1. 8cc 51 plate with a max towing of 1300kg the bailey recommend the mtplm of 1192 kg giving me just over 100kgto play with.

i would like to take 2 adult bikes 1 child either on tow bar with bike carrier or spread the weight and may be put 1 in caravan weight about 40kg for 3 bikes, also got a small microwave weight about 11 kg.

Can you please advise me is the awning taken into account in weights in payload allowance for essential habitation.

at my estimate my total weight would be about 1250kg am i sailing a bit close for wind for safety or would i be ok, been towing about 15yrs and go all over the uk

thanks all happyand safe journeys for 2005

mark /jayne north lincs

Hi Mark,

According to the Bailey website the MTPLM of your caravan is 1192kgs. The delivered weight is 972kgs,75kgs for essential habitation items,123kgs user payload and 22kgs for extras.

The 1192kgs is the manufacturers maximum allowed design weight of the caravan. The fact that it is 108kgs below the cars towing limit does not mean that you can increase the weight of the van up to the cars towing limit.

The bikes cannot be carried on a towbar mounted carrier as this would use up most of the cars hitch load limit,all of which is required for the caravan noseweight. Various discussions on this forum have concluded that, in the majority of cases biles are best carried on the cars roof.

The microwave is part of the 123kgs user or 75kgs essential allowance.

Exactly which model Avensis do you have. The towing ratio looks to be about 93% which is a little high relative to the recommended 85% but is acceptable. You are within the cars towing limit so the outfit is legal. You can reduce the ratio by placing heavy items such as the awning in the car,and not using the total user payload,although this may be difficult as the quoted user allowance is not very high.

In any case you must not exceed the gross train weight which is shown on the cars VIN plate.

See this site for safe towing:

http://www. ntta. co. uk/law/preparing/preparing. htm

More details on the car would be useful,whether 4dr,5dr etc,to determine the actual kerbweight and towing ratio. :)

Frank

Hi Mark,

According to the Bailey website the MTPLM of your caravan is 1192kgs. The delivered weight is 972kgs,75kgs for essential habitation items,123kgs user payload and 22kgs for extras.

The 1192kgs is the manufacturers maximum allowed design weight of the caravan. The fact that it is 108kgs below the cars towing limit does not mean that you can increase the weight of the van up to the cars towing limit.

The bikes cannot be carried on a towbar mounted carrier as this would use up most of the cars hitch load limit,all of which is required for the caravan noseweight. Various discussions on this forum have concluded that, in the majority of cases biles are best carried on the cars roof.

The microwave is part of the 123kgs user or 75kgs essential allowance.

Exactly which model Avensis do you have. The towing ratio looks to be about 93% which is a little high relative to the recommended 85% but is acceptable. You are within the cars towing limit so the outfit is legal. You can reduce the ratio by placing heavy items such as the awning in the car,and not using the total user payload,although this may be difficult as the quoted user allowance is not very high.

In any case you must not exceed the gross train weight which is shown on the cars VIN plate.

See this site for safe towing:

http://www. ntta. co. uk/law/preparing/preparing. htm

More details on the car would be useful,whether 4dr,5dr etc,to determine the actual kerbweight and towing ratio. :)

Frank

9590[/snapback]

Thanks frank that as been most helpful butive still got some concern we got the car last year it was fine for our small van no probs at all but with getting the new van am a bit worried even though all the dealers checked my car against the bailey all said it would be ok the car is a 5 door 1. 8cc vvt-1 hand book says 1300kg money a bit tight at mo or i would get a heavier car

Hi Mark,

When you get your van,and you have it fitted out with all essentail habitation equipment,preferably weighing kit before installing it,gas bottles,spare wheel etc,and you have access to a weighbridge you could weigh the car and van seperately.

There are 2 methods of quoting kerbweight for the car,the old UK method which is the bare car with only spare wheel etc and the current Euro spec. which is the car with 90% tank of fuel,driver and 7kgs of luggage.

If Toyota work on the first method you can increase the kerbweight and reduce the towing ratio by adding 100kgs to conform to the latest Euro spec.

The outfit is not an ideal combination and you would be much better off with a diesel,but I am sure that it is better than some I have seen. :)

If you need any supplementary rear springs try Grayston,about £70

http://www. springassisters. co. uk/index. htm

Frank

Hi Mark,

Just adding to what Frank has already said.

I have a 2001 Avensis 5 Door D4-D Diesel. I have checked the handbook and my log book and the figures are as follows.

Gross vehicle weight (i. e. car loaded to its maximum)= 1830 kg

Towing capacity = 1300 kg

This gives a gross train weight of 3130 Kg (1830 kg + 1300 Kg)

Mass in service in my log book is 1490 kg

(this is the kerbweight of the car including driver)

85% of 1490 kg = 1266 kg

I have weighed the car at a weighbridge and it actually weighs 1550 kg with nothing on board except a tank of fuel and myself (I weigh approx 100kg).

From what I can establish the figures for the 1. 8 vvti 5 Door are as follows:

Gross vehicle weight (toyota handbook) = 1760 kg

Towing capacity (toyota handbook) = 1300 kg

This gives a gross train weight of 3060 kg

Mass in service is 1380 kg. I have taken the 1305 Kg figure from the cuddles website and added 75 kg for driver etc. The cuddles website figure was accurate for my car so I assume the same applies for the 1. 8 vvti.

85% of 1380 kg = 1173 Kg

1173 kg is quite close to your mtplm figure of 1192 kg so it looks like your weight ratio is ok.

I think the 1. 8 vvti puts out about 127bhp so I think it should be powerful enough.

Hope the figures help!!