Concept Kel Dependant On Brillo Pads ?

I had added this in the posts on alarms but thought it best to move it to a new position.

I notice in the information for the Concept Kel that stabilisers using fibre

pads prevent the alarm working unless both 12N and 12S are in place due to

loss of earth. This is a pity as for us it looked the best alarm.

They have a workaround of using a brillo pad placed in the top of the

stabiliser. This worries me as if these are not stainless steel how well

will they last for? I would have thought as they disintegrate fragments

would not do the pads used much good, or the towing ball? Indeed it was a

little mind blowing that a sophisticated alarm, on most modern caravans has

stabilisers, one of its main lines of defence dependant on a brillo pad!

They do say if the 12S is fitted all is well as earth is made through that.

But do those stealing a van carefully fully connect up the van they are

stealing? I would have thought they might use the 12N so as not attract

attention but both?

What have those who have one of the Concept Kel alarms fitted found, have

you fond a better way of keeping the alarm fully function?

Hi John

I have a concept kel fitted to our van. I was aware of the brillo pad issue before I purchased the alarm.

It only becomes a problem if you leave your van somewhere without having the 'alarmed' leg wound down and your caravan is not hitched up to your car and you have set the alarm. In this scenario someone could steal your van without setting the alarm off provided that they only connected the 12N plug.

I cann't think off hand why anyone would leave their van like that other than someone who did not have a 12S socket.

If your van is hitched up to your car with the alarmed leg wound up and the 12N and 12S sockets in place then the alarm will go off as soon as someone disconnects the 12N and 12S sockets.

The alarm will also go off if they steal your car as well. (Every time they brake.)

I believe that the Concept Kel is used by a range of manufacturers.

Pete.

Thanks. Do you know if the wiring to the leg has anti tamper sensing as in a domestic system? Its that which concerns me as it didn’t' look like it did to me. If its wire were cut the alarm wouldn't work if only the 12N were used until some one entered the van

Thanks. Do you know if the wiring to the leg has anti tamper sensing as in a domestic system? Its that which concerns me as it didn’t' look like it did to me. If its wire were cut the alarm wouldn't work if only the 12N were used until some one entered the van

9678[/snapback]

Hi John

Pretty certain that the wiring to the leg does not have an anti tamper device. (Not got the manual to hand to check.)

That said if I was going to disable the leg sensor I would just remove the magnet from the end of the leg thread. I assume that the alarm is triggered when the leg is raised (by rotation) and the magnet passes over the alarm switch. By removing the magnet this won't happen. (I hope this makes sense.)

You could disable any make of leg alarm by this method, not just the concept kel.

Pete

Hi John

Pretty certain that the wiring to the leg does not have an anti tamper device. (Not got the manual to hand to check.)

That said if I was going to disable the leg sensor I would just remove the magnet from the end of the leg thread. I assume that the alarm is triggered when the leg is raised (by rotation) and the magnet passes over the alarm switch. By removing the magnet this won't happen. (I hope this makes sense.)

You could disable any make of leg alarm by this method, not just the concept kel.

Pete

9766[/snapback]

The Concept Kel has a resistor across the reed relay that is operated by the leg maganet. Cutting the cable feeding that contact would be detected by the alarm.

Fitting more than one magnet to to the steady would make it harder to bypass the alarm. With more magnets, there is more chance the reed relay would be operated when the leg is down. More magnets would make it easier to operate the reed relay as they are removed.

If you fitted contacts to all the legs, that could be another way of foxing a potential thief!

Yours

Dave

PS I have Concept Kel alarm - and am very happy with it. I am nothting to do with the company.