Sign in to follow this  
Alexander Knight

Tap Removal

Before I start breaking stuff, I need some guidance on fitting a new tap to my Elddis Typhoon. The current one is a Whale Elite, and has a crack in the base. To access under it I'll need to get the sink out, or I can get to it from via the outer upper fridge grill (if a heat shield can be removed).

The sink is held in by a rubber seal, and the only visable screw is in the plug hole. The heat shield at the back of the fidge seems to get clipped together, though it's not clear if it can be removed from the outside.

As the current tap has split I'm keen to look at fitting a metal one instead of the plastic one.

So. . How does the sink come out, and or how do the heat grills come out. And are these Whale taps prone to cracks, and are metal ones better? Any help on this would be great.

Many thanks.

Recent versions of Whale taps are more tolerant of freezing conditions which easily cracked earlier versions. Always make sure that water system is drained down and all taps left open - mixers should be open in mid-temperature position.

Hi,

The last time I needed to remove a sink it was held in by brackets underneath which, luckily, had a cupboard below so that I had free access. Have you thought of asking your local service centre how the sink is removed?

Regards,

Ian.

Had the same problem with a cracked base of a tap -- and it happened on holiday too !! Tried all things to fix -- super glue - duct tape - in the end gave up it needed replacing -- every time you put the pump on it leaked. . so we had to make sure that the pump was of -- and then when the pump was on -- for the washroom etc we wrapped a tea towel around the base of the tap. .

The removal and replacement of the tap is easy -- the hard part -- as you have sussed out is the sink. .

Undo the waste connections and get them out of the way --

the sink is held in ( mine was ) by small clips on the underside and fixed with "normal screws" the hard ones are at the back. I think there are four.

It was a mater of laying on your back in the cupboard and moaning!!

Lift the sink out and the rubber seal will come with it -- this is a tad shorter than the diameter of the sink !!! and when you put it back you have to remember this or it will leave a gap. .

Once the sink is out -- you will see how to do the taps. . undo the pipes -- then the retaining nut under the work top. .

Reverse all procedures for putting back. .

Including moaning and trying to get the rubber seal to realign -- I put my joint of the seal at the back under the tap. . eventually it went back. .

Best of luck.

Maurice

Thanks for all the advise.

The sink is over the fridge. So if I need to get under it to remove clips, I'll also have to work out how to get the fridge out. Not too sure that's an easy job either.

The vans now back in storage, I'm looking to get an much advise as possible before fixing or getting it fixed in the next week or two. Any one with further advise please feel free to post more info.

Best Regards, A. K.

OK go outside and look at the fridge vents --- big white plastic things -- they come off -- out side. . you may be able to remove them and get to the underside of the sink. ..

It seems odd that the sink is directly over the fridge though --

Have a look and see. ..

Maurice

Hi,

I've not got the van at my house, so can't get to it right now. The fridge vents look like a good point to access the tap, though there's a heat sheild built around the top one (to direct out the warm air), and it's right over where the tap is. I've looked at un clipping it, though I'm not sure it can be done from outside. Again as I didn't want to break stuff I held off pulling it about too much.

The caravan is an Elddis Typhoon GTX 1998.

Regards, A. K.

hi can you please tell me how you did the tap as i have the same problem thank you   alan