Sign in to follow this  
ivan leslie

Melamine Cups

sure this will have been raised before but, how do you get melamine cups clean?? the tea/coffee stains are difficlut to get rid of and awful to look at. have tried washing up liquid and hard scrubbing but no luck. help please.

sure this will have been raised before but, how do you get melamine cups clean?? the tea/coffee stains are difficlut to get rid of and awful to look at. have tried washing up liquid and hard scrubbing but no luck. help please.

A dishwasher?

A dishwasher?

We use a WEAK solution of bleach and hot water.

Fill cups and let stand overnight.

Rinse thoroughly.

Job done.

HTH.

Regards.

Col.

PS. You can also use sterilising tablets.

Steradent !!

Fenwicks do a melamine cleaner/destainer.

As long as they're not Bailey cups you should be ok. ................ :blush::D:

Edited by olderbutnotwiser

As per BIGBILLY Steradent works wonders!

Bicarbonate of Soda????

Melfresh, sold at most caravan shops or Steradent, widely available.

We just use china mugs which are much nicer to drink out of and don't weigh significantly more than the melamine.

We just use china mugs which are much nicer to drink out of and don't weigh significantly more than the melamine.

Totally agree!! Tea tastes much better and stays hot a darn sight longer!!! Same solution for removing the tea stains from china as from melamine - steradent or a weak bleach solution.

For travelling we just stick a couple of sheets of kitchen roll in between the cups when we put them into the holder - haven't had any chips or breakages - yet!!

Guest rob_jax

Hi,

The stain from tea and coffee is caused by organic acids, like tannic acid from tea, and the easy way to redissolve these acids is to make a weak solution of washing soda in hot water.

Bleach will work, not because of the bleaching action, but because bleach is made alkaline at the factory to stop it decomposing - and it's the alkaline nature of washing soda that dissolves the acid. .. So yes, bleach will work, but it's not the best product to use.

And I agree with those who suggest using something other than melamine - our caravan "stuff" is made by the French Luminarc company, it's a robust Pyrex material, reasonably break pand drop roof, cheaper than melamine, and is much nicer to eat off or drink from. ..

Robert

Hi,

The stain from tea and coffee is caused by organic acids, like tannic acid from tea, and the easy way to redissolve these acids is to make a weak solution of washing soda in hot water.

Bleach will work, not because of the bleaching action, but because bleach is made alkaline at the factory to stop it decomposing - and it's the alkaline nature of washing soda that dissolves the acid. .. So yes, bleach will work, but it's not the best product to use.

And I agree with those who suggest using something other than melamine - our caravan "stuff" is made by the French Luminarc company, it's a robust Pyrex material, reasonably break pand drop roof, cheaper than melamine, and is much nicer to eat off or drink from. ..

Robert

Will have to look for some of this stuff when we go to France in June! Like the melamine cups my complaint about melamine plates is how quickly your food goes cold on them!!

A great tip passed on to me for cleaning the inside of a flask is to use broken up eggshells with a little water. The flask will be as new afterwards. Not tied this trick on melamine cups though !!

Regards

NRF

Guest rob_jax
Will have to look for some of this stuff when we go to France in June! Like the melamine cups my complaint about melamine plates is how quickly your food goes cold on them!!

If you shop at an Auchan, Leclerc, Champion, or whatever hypermarche - they will have several ranges of Luminarc or Arcopal or own label Pyrex crockery.

We have a set of plain white plates, bowls, cups, etc - Auchan own label - and they all cost less than Euro 1 each - and there are often complete sets on offer

If you shop at an Auchan, Leclerc, Champion, or whatever hypermarche - they will have several ranges of Luminarc or Arcopal or own label Pyrex crockery.

We have a set of plain white plates, bowls, cups, etc - Auchan own label - and they all cost less than Euro 1 each - and there are often complete sets on offer

Thanks, Rob, we often dive into the hypermarkets when in France!

Toothpaste works well and always to hand

We use china cups and plates more civilised

And make tea in a teapot with cosy on as well

I have melamine cups and i use Babys Sterilising solution. Pour a small amount into bottom of cup and fill with luke warm water. Leave for aprox 5 mins (stains will disappear) then pour used solution into next cup and so on. Also ideal to drop a dirty teaspoon into the cup and it will clean both at the same time. I use the Sterilising Solution also on my pottery cups in the house. Try it you'll be amazed. ..much better results than steradent tablets etc.

thanks all for the suggestions - reckon its a new set from French hypermarkets - as we are in spain now and will be making our way upto Bourdeau area in next few weeks, shouldn't be problem finding them. HWMBO is, though, getting set for those china ones!!!!

thanks again

I remember my mum rubbing with salt to get rid of tea stains -but I'm in the china camp, tea's just not the same otherwise.

thanks all for the suggestions - reckon its a new set from French hypermarkets - as we are in spain now and will be making our way upto Bourdeau area in next few weeks, shouldn't be problem finding them. HWMBO is, though, getting set for those china ones!!!!

thanks again

The Luminarc factory is at Arques near St Omer - not far from Chateau de Gandspette or Bien Assize, if you are stopping before catching the ferry.

Mike

I'm glad I saw this thread as our melamine is stained plus food and drink just doesn't taste the same! We were thinking of switching to china but weren't sure if this was a silly idea with a caravan.

If we go back to St Omer (lovely town) we will look this place up. Wonder if it could be mail ordered or bought on ebay as well?

Thanks, Rob, we often dive into the hypermarkets when in France!

http://www. choiceful. com/disprod. php?pId=10635&deptId=D3

They say they are expecteing more stock soon.

I got what sounds to be the same from here - it's as tough as old boots. Better deal if you are in France though. I got a great set of cutlery there for 5 euros - six settings as well, I couldn't believe it.

Edited by gforce

Toothpaste works well and always to hand

We use china cups and plates more civilised

And make tea in a teapot with cosy on as well

can we drop for tea please Rita???

Melamine plates are no good in the microwave, either! :(

can we drop for tea please Rita???

Welcome any time we have home made bics n cakes as well :D