Clothes Airers

Being new to caravanning, about to start our 1st full season, we need to buy a clothes airer, but which type is best, the type that fits through the window frame of the caravan, or the 'stand alone' type.

Thanks. ...Paul

Being new to caravanning, about to start our 1st full season, we need to buy a clothes airer, but which type is best, the type that fits through the window frame of the caravan, or the 'stand alone' type.

Thanks. ...Paul

9495[/snapback]

I have both - but prefer to use the stand alone one - you can get more clothes on it - and it gives you more room to open towels out so they dry better - the hang on the window type is very small - and your clothes spend most of their time banging against the side of the van !! Plus of course if you want to go out you cant close the window and secure your van !!

Margaret

Margaret

I don't do technical !!!

Just me and my showdogs!!

We have a Fiamma cycle carrier fitted to the rear of our 'van and and find that works well for drying clothes / towels etc on!

Cheers,

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Guest john1215

I'm with Maragaret on this one, the standalone types offer much more space and you can get some pretty large ones which are not too heavy if you shop around.

john1215

I have a "hang out the window" airer - and I must admit, it is a pest not to be able to close the window when you go out (we move it to the front of the van and hang it off the grab handles). However, I have been reluctant to "upgrade" to a standalone airer, because I can't think where to stow it out of sight in the caravan.

So my question, as a supplemental, is where do you put your standalone clothes airer when it is not in use ??? ;)

Many Thanks

Sarah

I have just bought a stand alone airer from Kleeneze, it comes in bits and I made a bag to hold it, so I can store it under a bunk when not in use, would suggest that you use the metal hook type tent pegs to anchor it down with so it does not take off in the wind if you use it outside, it is plastic but seems fairly robust, will let you know how I get on with it. You get a free sock airer with it, I have found that you can dry knickers on this if you use the pegs. ..... depends how many pairs of knickers you wash, I have a platic bucket which we fill with warm water and detergent at night, put in the knickers and socks, and leave them overnight, in the morning just, give them a quick rub through with clean water and hey presto, wring them out and hang up to dry. We do have an airer which fits on the window as well, if we want to go out I hang towels over the shower room door or over the table in the front of the van, by the time you get back they should be ok, in the winter in our old van I used to hang them over the wardrobe door, the residual heat from the fire dried them, NEVER leave them draped over the door with the heat on!!!! very dangerous, you could come back and find no van, just a burnt out shell!!!

Guest john1215

I notice several posts from members reporting that they couldn't close their windows when the airer was hooked over the frame. You can close them to the venitlation stage, the rubber surround allows for that. We store our under the fixed bed now as there is room for a football team under there. Inour old van, we put it in a bin liner and stored it under the van while on site.

john1215