Cruise Control

Guest john1215

Guest john1215

I once had cruise control on a Hillman automatic that I used to own, once set there was a noticable surge and then a lull in the engine as it accelerated to 3 mph above the set speed then allowed the speed to drop to 3 pmh below the set speed. Is it the same now or is CC much more refined now.

john1215

How many years ago was that?

The electronics must have had valves in them !!

I had an E class Merc auto up until 12 months ago with cruise control. very smooth the only surge came after braking and then letting the cruise control return you to the preset speed.

I did find that the auto kept changing gear when towing and using cruise control. The slightest hill and down a couple of gears.

Pete.

Hi John,

I've had several cars recently with CC including the current one and I can only say "how did we do without it". I use mine whenever I can even in 30mph zone, it definitely helps avoid speeding tickets. Checking mine against a gps it keeps the speed steady within 1mph, a real boon to towing, with no surges as you describe. Obviously it creeps up a bit when going down hill but still keeps it close to the set speed.

Phil

Along with Motor movers I think cruise control has to be one of the best "caravanning" accessories available.

I try to use it as much as possible. Anyone who has driven through France on the autoroutes will empathise. My car's is smooth and allows me to concentrate more on driving than worrying about the speed limit and creeping too far over it. Mine has been set to about 70 mph for several hundred miles at a stretch and didn't vary noticeably - just a deepening of the engine note when going up hill and an easing off when cresting it.

Ive had cruise control for many years - on Honda Accords, SEAT Toledo TDI and now on the Passat Sport Estate TDI - wouldnt be without it, in fact, had a problem finding a Passat with cruise control as for me, it is a must have.

No problems at all with surging and like PhilB I use mine in 30 mph areas as well as other speed restricted roads.

Ive had cruise control for many years - on Honda Accords, SEAT Toledo TDI and now on the Passat Sport Estate TDI - wouldnt be without it, in fact, had a problem finding a Passat with cruise control as for me, it is a must have.

No problems at all with surging and like PhilB I use mine in 30 mph areas as well as other speed restricted roads.

9532[/snapback]

I have also had cruise control for years with no surge problems - although I have to say I rarely use it when towing - I too think its a must have item on my vehicles.

Margaret

Margaret

I don't do technical !!!

Just me and my showdogs!!

Mine maintains the set speed under most conditions and never varies more than the thickness of the speedo needle, even when towing. I use it to avoid safety cameras as I know it will be OK. Its amazing how many people slow down well below the designated speed at safety cameras.

The only exceptions are

1. On a very steep uphill the speed will drop if the engine is unable to maintain set speed (does not happen often)

2. On a steep downhill the speed may increase as cruise control does not operate the brakes (not on mine anyway)

Operation of either clutch, brake or disengage switch will immediately cut out cruise control.

There is no speed overshoot when using the resume switch

Brian

I have to say that modern cruise control is brilliant - had it on my Jags and now on the Peugeot 406 HDi. On long continental drives, especially in France where the roads are so empty, it enables me to stay within the law and keeps my stress levels down :rolleyes:

To anyone without cruise control fitted as standard, I would recomend getting an aftermarket unit fitted. It makes long distance towing virtually effortless. If a cruise is fitted to a diesel, I would suggest switching it off on hills, otherwise the pedal is 'floored' with very heavy fuel consumption.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Mine maintains the set speed under most conditions and never varies more than the thickness of the speedo needle, even when towing. I use it to avoid safety cameras as I know it will be OK. Its amazing how many people slow down well below the designated speed at safety cameras.

The only exceptions are

1. On a very steep uphill the speed will drop if the engine is unable to maintain set speed (does not happen often)

2. On a steep downhill the speed may increase as cruise control does not operate the brakes (not on mine anyway)

Operation of either clutch, brake or disengage switch will immediately cut out cruise control.

There is no speed overshoot when using the resume switch

Brian

9538[/snapback]

I totally agree with you Brian.

Now if you had a an automatic box on your Volvo, you would find that on long hill climbs or descents it would drop a gear and maintain a constant speed as our 960 did. Ho-Humm!

We've had CC on a couple of Jeep Grand Cherokees too. The earlier one was forever hunting gears to keep up speed, and would always drop a gear when I pressed resume. On the current one this fault has been addressed and a more gentle acceleration is achieved when resuming.

The one thing I dislike about the Chrysler system is that it won't engage below 40mph whereas the Volvo was usable from 28mph. This means that the Jeep's CC cannot be used on the increasingly annoying 30mph limited sections of country road where a slightly higher limit would be perfectly acceptable (but that's whole new topic :angry: Grrr).

Cheers,

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

I love it. ...

and I'm sure it helps your fuel also as your not changing speed. Makes a long journey very relaxing and also in speed restrictions your not tempted to go from 50mph say to 58 and 'flash' a ticket !

Just wasn't an option on my new car unless I got an Automatic which I didn't want

OOh well

Cheers

Scott

Guest john1215

I know I'll probably get informed how CC works when I collect the new car but, do you drive at the speed you want to maintain then press the set button. If you have to brake I gather that the CC disengages. Do you have to "reset" it or just press the control and it goes back to it's last setting?

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far, I'm getting excited and there is still 3 weeks to go!!

john1215

To anyone without cruise control fitted as standard, I would recomend getting an aftermarket unit fitted.     It makes long distance towing virtually effortless.     If a cruise is fitted to a diesel, I would suggest switching it off on hills, otherwise the pedal is 'floored' with very heavy fuel consumption.

9597[/snapback]

Any reccomendations for a reasonably priced aftermarket set up?

I asked about it for my wifes Picasso, and a company advertising in a lot of the magazines wanted £600 fitted, which seemed a lot. I'd heard of people retro fitting the standard citroen system and being charged about £200, but I'm led to beleive citroen won't fit it anymore.

I know I'll probably get informed how CC works when I collect the new car but, do you drive at the speed you want to maintain then press the set button. If you have to brake I gather that the CC disengages. Do you have to "reset" it or just press the control and it goes back to it's last setting?

john1215

Hi,

On the Volvo there are two 2way toggle switches on the left side of the steering wheel. The inner on is ON/OFF and RESUME, the outer one is + or -.

After starting engine you need to switch the cruise on as it defaults to off when ignition off. The word CRUISE appears in the instrument panel. Drive off and press the + button at any speed. Holding the + button down will ramp the speed up to your desired setting. Likewise holding the - button will ramp the speed down. Thus you can set the speed very accurately.

If you brake, it disengages, simply then press RESUME and it will go back to the previous set speed.

Switching the unit off looses all memory settings.

It will not operate below about 20mph

Brian

Hi all. for those of you with a vw group car it's possible to buy the bits you need and fit it yourself. this web site might be a good read, http://homepage. ntlworld. com/dgace/cruise_control. htm

Found on a Skoda forum, not done it myself!!

Mike

Edited to make weblink "clickable"

Brian

Edited by BrianI

John,

Most cruise control systems work similar but not the same, usually a stalk and or steering wheel mounted.

Pressing the brake, clutch if manual or accelerater will disengage the cruise (or pressing the cancel or equivalent on the stalk). You can speed up using the crusie buttons and slow down. You can also 'resume' to a set speed if you had set one.

My dad reckons his Merc 320CDi has the easiest system, I thought my BMW one was simple. Have to say my brothers Lexus is200 is a bit fiddly and the small volvo estate before that V40 ? was also weired.

However as its your own car you soon get use to it, its great. Problem is if your like me and jump in a car with out it you go to use it and theres no stalk or buttons. .....

even worse my new car a Freelander is wasn't an option on the manual :o(

Good luck with your new car

PS if you have not had it before choose an empty road to try it out just so you get use to it

Cheers

Scott

I drive a omega 2. 6, to be honest the cruise control works a treat and very simple to operate - but with my car being a automatic and using cruise control, i think i may become too relaxed, whats next auto pilot :o

I fitted cruise to my Vectra. As it has no throttle cable, all I had to do was buy a new indicator stalk (with the buttons on) and add a switch to the clutch pedal. Total cost was under £60 and took under 10 minutes to fit as all the wires and connectors were there. No reprogramming of the ECU was required. It's absolutley brill, except for one thing to be aware of:

As the car is manual, you need to watch out when towing uphill, or into a head wind, and check that you're not at full throttle in too high a gear with the engine labouring. If I suspect this, I press the accellerator pedal to feel what the engine has in reserve and change gear accordingly. (With this car, accellerating does not turn cruise off, and the car will return to cruise speed as soon as the accellerator is released providing the brake and clutch pedal have not been touched).

Jeff

• 4 weeks later...
Guest john1215

Wow, the Cruise control is awesome, what a tool, I could nearly drive the car around all day using the buttons on the steering wheel. It's every bit as good as what you all said it was, can't wait to try it with the van on.

john1215

Wait until you're towing the van up a gradually increasing hill with cruise set, you don't slow down but you feel and hear the engine note deepening and feel the gradual surge as it maintains speed with no interaction from you. Then, as you crest the peak it eases off gently to maintain speed. It's also fun to watch the "guzzle meter" at it gradually drops up the hill 30mpg, 28, 26, (steep hill) 17 15. ......

I've just updated my Vectra with CC, did it myself and it cost me less than £40 (a big thanks to Bungle22 for putting me on to it.

I've driven wagons for years now with cruise fitted and I love it, I've always dreaded a long journey in the car without it. But not any longer!!!!!! Yes :lol:

Get it fitted to our Picasso next week, £170 parts & labour so not too costly really. And that is citroen prices as well.

15385[/snapback]

From what I understand Vauxhall are charging something like £200 and yet all I needed was the indicater stalk with the Cruise control buttons on, cost me £38. 66 and took 10 minutes to fit.