Winterhoff Ws3000

Hi to you all,

Do any of you have one of these fitted to your van? I purchased one last july and i have had nothing but niggles up to now. It feels very unstable above 50mph as if unable to hold. I have been towing for 7 yrs and changed to a jupiter last yr. Up to now we have changed the way we load it and altered the nose weight to see if that makes any difference but to no avail. Our last van had a snakemaster as assistance and i am on the verge of fitting that as well. But surely that would be a rediculous move? Any feed back would be gratefully appreciated as the other half is pressuring me to take it off :angry: and go back to a std pressed coupling and S/master. many thanks steve.

Guest john1215

Steve,

I don't have a winterhoff but an Alko AKS 1300, I expereinced a similar effect ot the one you are describing only when I had forgotten to apply the hitch correctly and push down the clamping arm applying the friction pads to the ball. I wonder if this is the case with your hitch. Also did you remove all traces of grease from your towball before hitching with the winterhoff.

Apologies if this is like egg-sucking time, but often the simplest of things get forgotten.

john1215

Guest macSpot

We had similar problems with an ALKO AKS hitch on a previous van. As we had replaced the tow ball we knew it wasn't grease, however when our dealer inspected the hitch he found the friction pads had been contaminated with grease. He reckoned it may have happened at the factory and they were replace under the warranty, after which it towed perfectly.

I have also been told that on these types of hitch the correct noseweight is important.

Hope this helps.

MacSpot

We had similar problems with an ALKO AKS hitch on a previous van. As we had replaced the tow ball we knew it wasn't grease, however when our dealer inspected the hitch he found the friction pads had been contaminated with grease. He reckoned it may have happened at the factory and they were replace under the warranty, after which it towed perfectly.

I have also been told that on these types of hitch the correct noseweight is important.

Hope this helps.

MacSpot

9562[/snapback]

Does anyone know the torque figures for the AKS 2000, i. e. the torque on the towball when hitched?

Mike

Guest Hobbybod
Steve,

I don't have a winterhoff but an Alko AKS 1300, I expereinced a similar effect ot the one you are describing only when I had forgotten to apply the hitch correctly and push down the clamping arm applying the friction pads to the ball. I wonder if this is the case with your hitch. Also did you remove all traces of grease from your towball before hitching with the winterhoff.

Apologies if this is like egg-sucking time, but often the simplest of things get forgotten.

john1215

9345[/snapback]

I've used a Winterhoff hitch for ~3yrs and found it very effective, as have friends who also use it.

As John indicates, the handle must be pushed down horizontal to the ground to activate it, AND the ball and pads must be free of any contamination, if the hitch stabiliser is to be effective.

NO grease on towball or pads. Remove grease from the towball with a proprietry grease remover (as used in garages) NOT Turps or paraffin. Grease on the pads means they are b*****d and you need new pads. If you use a new towball, make sure all protective paint/varnish is removed with sand paper etc. Any on the pads could be removed using emery paper, but not solvent.

Guest john1215

Is the winterhoof action the same as the Alko. If not, could any of you winterhoff users suggest what may be wrong with Steve37's which is what I believe he wanted to know?

john1215

The Winterhoff works on the same principle as the AL-KO, ie friction pads against the tow ball, Weve got the Winterhoff and the vans as steady as a rock towing at all speeds Although the first time i used it, it juddered and creaked going around bends but i think this was grease on the towball, gave it a good clean and its been perfect

Oscar

Hello and many thanks for the replys.

Since i bought the Ws3000 ive read many write ups and tests that all point to it being a wonderfull piece of engineering and reliable,but i yet have the results to prove it. The alko and the Ws3000 work on the same principle and lock down in the same way. Our lunar jupiter is way under the towing limit for our mondeo and not something i need to be worrying about. I have changed the ball twice now and even tried a different colour coating on the casting, but i haven't really thought much to the pads being infected in some way. ..grease? I was told to use a celulose thinner to clean the ball head prior to hitching up to remove the dreaded obvious. The nose weight is a good point to look at though, i have a 75kg max on the car but will delve deeper into this area.

Once again many thanks steve.

Guest john1215

Steve,

It is possible that the Winterhoff isn't at fault, I don't know how long you have been caravanning, but the problem could lie elsewhere, with the loading of the van for instance, not so much as how much weight but where it is within the van. Apologies if you have already considered this but sometime its easy to overlook simple things.

Good luck with the solution.

john1215

• 2 weeks later...

hi,

just thought i'd let you know that i think the problem has been sorted,it looks like the drawtube was showing signs of early wear. The collar inside the housing was very "loose" as to say and thus preventing the hitch from doing its job properly. Have been onto Knott ltd and sorted a replacement, which should be here in the next few days. ....

steve