Euro 13 Pin Connector

Guest macSpot

Guest macSpot

I have heard a lot about these 13 pin Euro connectors on tow cars and caravans, but I have never seen one.

Does anyone have one and if so what do you think about them?

MacSpot

My car came with a 13 pin socket fitted so I fitted a 13 pin plug on the caravan. To conect the plug into the socket, you push in and turn 90deg and it locks. Seems to work very well and I have had it for 2 years now. Maybe one day, UK caravans will come with one but there does not seem to be any advantage in changing in you have twin plugs and sockets already fitted.

Brian

I had the adaptor for 3 months. Then bit the bullet and fitted a 13 pin plug to the caravan and never looked back

Brian

I don't have either on car or van but I have heard that the connection is superior to the UK sockets. The number of times you have to fiddle with the plug on the old system to get a perfect connec tion does make you wonder if the UK should change over. I am sure I have read that the 13pin socket overcomes a lot of the difficulties that are experienced with the S socket like pin burn out but am happy to be corrected on that.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Guest john1215
I had the adaptor for 3 months. Then bit the bullet and fitted a 13 pin plug to the caravan and never looked back

Brian

9325[/snapback]

Is the 13 pin plug easy to fit for someone with the electric knowledge of a Wildebeast?

john1215

You need a little more knowledge than a wildebeast!

First of all, you need a diagram showing the pin connections on the 7 pin plugs and on the 13 pin plugs. You can find this on page 600 in the CC handbook.

It is a bit tricky getting two thick cables into one plug but with a bit of perseverance it is possible. With hindsight, a better job would be to replace the two cables with one 13 core cable all the way back to the caravan junction board, but this is more work.

The problem with the Volvo (at least my S60) is that in the cutout in the bumper there is only room for one socket, unless you have the two sockets sticking out from the recess. The Volvo installation is neat and tidy and concealed by a plastic cover with the towball removed. It is not possible to easily replace the 13pin socket with twin sockets so you really have to stick with the 13 pin socket.

Using the adaptor lead is not problem, its just that you end up with lots of loose cable that need to be strapped up.

As I have said before check that your socket is wired correctly, in particular check that you have 12v across pins 10 and 11 with ignition on - fridge supply and return.

Car dealers seem to know little about cravan electrics in my experience.

Brian

First of all, you need a diagram showing the pin connections on the 7 pin plugs and on the 13 pin plugs. You can find this on page 600 in the CC handbook.

It is a bit tricky getting two thick cables into one plug but with a bit of perseverance it is possible. With hindsight, a better job would be to replace the two cables with one 13 core cable all the way back to the caravan junction board, but this is more work.

The problem with the Volvo (at least my S60) is that in the cutout in the bumper there is only room for one socket, unless you have the two sockets sticking out from the recess. The Volvo installation is neat and tidy and concealed by a plastic cover with the towball removed. It is not possible to easily replace the 13pin socket with twin sockets so you really have to stick with the 13 pin socket.

Using the adaptor lead is not problem, its just that you end up with lots of loose cable that need to be strapped up.

As I have said before check that your socket is wired correctly, in particular check that you have 12v across pins 10 and 11 with ignition on - fridge supply and return.

Brian

9407[/snapback]

Is this a live wildebeast or a dead one?

The snag with replacing the 2 7 core cables on the 'van is that they are not always wired to the same area on the 'van. I like the idea (somewhere on this thread) of using shrink plastic to seal the 2 cables together.

Mike

The 13 pin plug is a far better, more positive system.

Fitting two cables into a 13 pin socket seemed very awkward and difficult to make water tight. I took the easy way and cut the 12N & 12S cables under the A frame and used 13 core cable to the 13 pin plug. The joint was in a waterproof B&Q box.

When I changed my caravan it was a quick job to replace the old plugs

I carry the 13N plug with cable attached in the van. If I ever need recovery fitting it is easy.

The Euro connectors are far superior to the 2x7 pin UK standard. I would definitely take the 13core right back to the vans junction boxes. Alternatively if you wish to continue using an adaptor there is no need to put up with excess cable,just pull the 2 caravan cables back into the van until you have the right length. :)

Frank

The problem with the adaptor is that it introduces another plug and socket which gives the possiblility of futher voltage drop. Also the sockets normally prevent you withdrawing the cable under the "A" frame cover so you are left with the "bunjay" solution.

Brian

• 1 month later...
The Euro connectors are far superior to the 2x7 pin UK standard. I would definitely take the 13core right back to the vans junction boxes.

Frank

9519[/snapback]

Hi Frank

I did a search on 13 pin sockets and read the postings with great interest. Any idea of the likely cost for doing the above and having the cars' 7 pin sockets done as well?

Yossa

Hi Yossa,

Quite honestly, I don't think there is a lot to be gained by changing an existing 2 x 7 pin setup. I was forced into it as the car could only be fitted with a 13pin socket and so I fitted a 13 pin plug on the caravan. It is just a bit more convenient having only one socket to connect and there is a more positive connection in that it twists and locks.

As far as costs go, it is just the price of a socket and plug and a lot of fiddly electrical work. Towsure quote £7. 75 for the plug and £14. 75 for the socket.

The disadvantage you might have is if you tow another trailer with 7pin plugs, you would need an adaptor lead.

Brian

Hi Brian

Thanks for the reply. We will be keeping our car and van for a long, long, time so as the current sockets are beginning to play up a bit I thought that it might be beneficial to change to the 13 pin system. I doubt if I would carry out the work myself, so I was wondering what the cost might be. I might shop around to find out.

Yossa

Guest john1215

Brian

9407[/snapback]

Brian,

Thanks for being so honest, do you have any idea what the cost might be for a dealer to do the work and wire in the 13 pin plug from the junction box. I really don't have the knowledge to do this and would probably end up bu**ering everything up in the process

john1215

You all may like to consider the problem for someone else when you come to sell the van on if it has the 13-pin connector fitted to the caravan. It could well mean a non-sale.

Until the UK goes this way in general, I would think hard before retro fitting a caravan with a 13-pin.

Brian,

Thanks for being so honest, do you have any idea what the cost might be for a dealer to do the work and wire in the 13 pin plug from the junction box. I really don't have the knowledge to do this and would probably end up bu**ering everything up in the process

john1215

15151[/snapback]

No idea really but it is not a big job. If you are due for a caravan service it might be cheaper to combine it with that.

Brian

In this eventuality - it will always be possible to get an adapter to convert back.

john1215

15153[/snapback]

John,

AFAIK they do not make a reverse adaptor. ie 1x13pin socket into 2x7pin plugs. In the event of selling the van I would convert it back to standard. Of course the person who then wanted to buy would have a 13pin socket. :lol:

I have thought of converting as the 13 pin is far superior,but have decided to leave as is. The present system is tidy with a socket at each side of the hitch and short cable loops to the drawbar.

For anyone who insists on converting,there are 2 makes of 13pin plug and socket generally available and one is better than the other. Sorry I can't remember which.

Frank

Hi Brian

Thanks for the reply. We will be keeping our car and van for a long, long, time so as the current sockets are beginning to play up a bit I thought that it might be beneficial to change to the 13 pin system. I doubt if I would carry out the work myself, so I was wondering what the cost might be. I might shop around to find out.

Yossa

15142[/snapback]

Hi Yossa,

The 7 pin system is normally reliable but you can restore it by doing the following.

1. Polish the pins with very very fine emery to remove oxide deposits.

2. Open up the pins slightly by putting a knife or screwdriver down the slots to restore good contact.

3. Spray plugs and socket with WD40

Brian

Hi Yossa,

The 7 pin system is normally reliable but you can restore it by doing the following.

1. Polish the pins with very very fine emery to remove oxide deposits.

2. Open up the pins slightly by putting a knife or screwdriver down the slots to restore good contact.

3. Spray plugs and socket with WD40

Brian

15168[/snapback]

Thanks for the information Brian, I have done the above (like so many others I suppose!). Do similar problems occur on the 13 pin socket? or is it more reliable and water resistant etc than the 7 pin?

Yossa

Thanks for the information Brian, I have done the above (like so many others I suppose!). Do similar problems occur on the 13 pin socket? or is it more reliable and water resistant etc than the 7 pin?

Yossa

15169[/snapback]

I have not had a problem with mine but it is only two years old so I would not expect any. The pins are very much smaller though and whether this will ultimately create problems due to smaller area of pin contact remains to be seen.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Did you know that there are 3 different designs of 13 pin plug and sockets?

The normally found one is the German (Jaeger) type with a unique pin layout.

The WeSt 13 pin has the standard 7 pin 12N layout in the centre with 6 small diameter round pins positioned around the edge.

The Multicon also has the 12N layout but has 6 flat profile pins around the edge.

I have had the WeSt type fitted (to make life easy) as I have a need to tow a variety of trailers all fitted with 12N as normal. My towbar had a plate for 1 socket only. When I buy another caravan (still working on wifey) I will have the WeSt plug fitted to that.

As a point of interest the Swift caravans sold in Holland have the WeSt type fitted as the Benelux people prefer that system whereas the Multicon is popular in France.

If the UK standardised on a 13 pin system there would be no problems with interchangability. The NCC had supposedly got an agreement for all new 2005 caravans to use 13 pin as standard but they do not appear to be doing this.

My new 2005 model Abbey comes with the standard twin UK type connections.

Archived