How Much Gas ?

Caravan Dan

I have had my caravan for 2 years in June and I am still (honest) on the same gas bottle that the dealer gave me! I thought I would be changing at least every Spring but it seems to be just going on an on. I don't skimp on gas either, I use the wall heater and the cooker all the time. When would it normally run out?

How can I measure what's left ? Are the guages on the market accurate?

I don't want to be stuck half way through my bacon sarnies !!

You can weigh your gas cylinder on the bathroom scales (in kg) and then deduct the weight of the cylinder which should be stamped near the neck on the outside of the bottle. This leaves the weight of the gas that you have left in the cylinder !

Hope this helps :)

You can weigh your gas cylinder on the bathroom scales (in kg) and then deduct the weight of the cylinder which should be stamped near the neck on the outside of the bottle.   This leaves the weight of the gas that you have left in the cylinder !

Hope this helps  :)

588[/snapback]

Thanks Chatterlee. ..... but is there a calculation that tells me if I have xx kgs of gas left in the bottle that leaves me 2 hours of let's say "full on" gas (ie wall heater and cooker together) ?

Or should I just buy the best guage on the market? (how much is good one?)

Any recommendations of make and model ?

Hi Dan

It's probably safer to get yourself a spare bottle, the gauges are a little inaccurate as they are affected by the ambient outside temperature. Not sure how to work out how much say 2ky of gas will last you maybe someone else can help. There is only one certainty that you will run out :(

Hi All,

You can buy a magnetic indicator which you put on the side of the bottle and shows the liquified gas level. However it is good policy to have a spare as already advised. I have gaslow regulators on each of two propane bottles. To change over just turn the empty on off and turn the new one on. The empty can then be replaced even with the full one turned on. :)

Alledgedly if you pour hot water down the outside of the bottle then run your finger down it you will feel where the gas is up to inside the bottle as it will turn cold to the touch.

Once you know how much is left you should be able to judge how long it is likely to last.

I would always carry a spare though as sods law says it will run out on a cold night when you cant get a replacement.

Alledgedly if you pour hot water down the outside of the bottle then run your finger down it you will feel where the gas is up to inside the bottle as it will turn cold to the touch.

Once you know how much is left you should be able to judge how long it is likely to last.

I would always carry a spare though as sods law says it will run out on a cold night  when you cant get a replacement.

I like that idea ! Nice and simple. I think I might get a the smallest "spare" gas bottle I can find to save on space and weight. My outfit's not the perfect match and any extra weight might tip the balance. Think I'll leave the wife at home next time and carry extra gas!

Thanks to all.

I have a dual gas flow automatic changeover thingy (sorry dont know the technical term for it) on my two bottles - and this has a gauge that I find is quite accurate . .... but I always carry a third bottle for emergencies !!!

Margaret

Margaret

I don't do technical !!!

Just me and my showdogs!!

If you are touring abroad, might I suggest that you carry your working Calor cylinder and also a smaller Camping Gaz bottle for emergencies.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

:D:D Plainly Dan, The answer is get a spare bottle mate Best of luck

I have just taken my van for its 1st annual service and am still on 1st gas bottle. I don't skimp but use electric where possible (heating, water etc).

I carry 1 propane cylinder in use and 1 full Camping Gaz 907 cylinder and pipe just in case I run out on the continent where you can't get UK bottles.

Does it really matter??

Uness you are out in the wilds of a remote CL you are never far away from a place to exchange. I cant recall many sites Ive stopped on where on site gas exchange was not available anyway

Buy a swift group caravan the 4th hob ring is electric so provided you are on hook up gas is not an issue

It matters to some, yes. I don't use sites, i prefer the open countryside, so gas is a matter of importance to me, and a few others i presume.

I use a gaslow regulator on mine, runs between the 2 bottles, has a gauge for different temps so you can be fairly accurate in all weathers, and has a switch over option so you dont need to re-light anything, it will do it for you.

This just came in. ....

"Firstly you need to find the tare weight of the cylinder, this is the 4 digit number on the aluminium disk fitted under the cylinder valve. This is the empty weight of the cylinder in lbs and ozs

It's probably easier to work in kg, so divide the weight in lbs by 2. 2 to get kg. E. g 32lb 08ozs = 32. 5 / 2. 2 = 14. 8 kg

Weigh the cylinder with e. g. bathroom scales to find total weight e. g 25kg

Subtract tare weight e. g. 25 - 14. 8 = 10. 2kg gas remaining.

Multiply amount of gas remaining by calorific value ( butane 13. 7 kWh, propane 13. 9 kWh )

e. g butane 10. 2 x 13. 7 = 139. 7 kWh

Divide by kW input rating of appliance e. g. 5kW, 139. 7 / 5 = 27. 9 hours approx running time remaining."

Hope that helps.

[

Divide by kW input rating of appliance e. g. 5kW, 139. 7 / 5 = 27. 9 hours approx running time remaining."

This is good stuff but you might have known there would be a follow up question from me !.........

What is the kW input rating for a cooker (1,2 or 3 rings on the go?)

What is the kW rating of the gas wall heater on low and high

This should fill my knowledge gap . ..............hopefully

Thanks <_<

Dan

This just came in. ....

"Firstly you need to find the tare weight of the cylinder, this is the 4 digit number on the aluminium disk fitted under the cylinder valve. This is the empty weight of the cylinder in lbs and ozs

It's probably easier to work in kg, so divide the weight in lbs by 2. 2 to get kg. E. g 32lb 08ozs = 32. 5 / 2. 2 = 14. 8 kg

Weigh the cylinder with e. g. bathroom scales to find total weight e. g 25kg

Subtract tare weight e. g. 25 - 14. 8 = 10. 2kg gas remaining.

Multiply amount of gas remaining by calorific value ( butane 13. 7 kWh, propane 13. 9 kWh )

e. g butane 10. 2 x 13. 7 = 139. 7 kWh

Hope that helps.

1777[/snapback]

Or in other words carry a spare. lol!!!

Pete.

PS Jon do WE tell you how to work a computer lol :D

Volvo

Hi there i would go with the advice the others have gave you get a spare if your existing bottle is quite large just carry a small spare, we use two 4. 5kg bottles of butane so we always have a swop over, mind you just have to remember to keep the swop over filled :D

I have to agree. ........

The hassle of lifting the bottle out, weighing it on the bathroom scales then applying quantam physics to determine the volume of gas remaining then calculating the burn rate and calorific value is eased by just carrying a small 2nd bottle !

Come on you manufactures of regulators. ....stick a decent guage on that shows fairly accurately what's left in the bottle without costing the earth.

I used to do a bit of skin diving in the old days and I remember my air bottles having guages telling me exactly how much air was left. ..........slightly more important when you are 20 metres down in the murky depths !

I reiterate my previous comment. ..............does it really matter when gas is readily available these days.

It all sounds a bit complex to me with various calculations to measure how much time you may have left at 17 degrees of warmth.

Relax, and if it runs out have another glass of red and contemplate how much better it is without gas on holiday than with gas at work.

The calor gauge looks a good idea, not a bad price cheaper than another bottle and more importantly lighter. If i was to have two gas bottles it the front locker i would be over my 50kg noseweight!!

Mike

Fully agree about the extra bottle = extra weight. My unit is too near the "limit" to consider extras. I like the guage though and the price so that's what I'm going for.

Someone suggested a 10 metre gas hose and (after the hours of darkness) linking it up to another van's external barbeque socket !!!! I didn't hear that.

:lol: Thanks to all for an interesting exchange of views.

Archived