Caravan Alarms

Message added by CT Advertising,

logoPhantom250px.pngSecure and reliable tracking system for caravan, motor home and car owners. High-quality security at affordable prices, tailored to your specific needs. Find out more

I am looking for an alarm for our new caravan. I have seen the IDM3 and IDM 4, the Concept Kel and also the SAS alarm. Both of theses alarms are circa £170-£190 ish. The SAS alarm is only £100 including VAT and is an extra £5 for P&P. So this looks to be favorite as it has all the features required. I would appreciate any feedback from anyoho is using one on their experience. The main concern I have is the 80 ma drain on the leisure battery.

I have used an IDM 2 before which was fine but if the SAS is OK then it would be a significant saving on the cost.

Hi John

I looked at the IDM 3 and 4 before settling on a Concept Kel 2002. The only difference between the 3 and 4 was the outside of the control panel. The 4 looks better. I could not see or find out of any other changes.

I settled on the Concept mainly because there is no control panel so no drilling holes somewhere near the door. The concept control box is under the front seats and works from a remote control.

Pete.

I considered the Concept Kel and to some degree still find it of interest but after having an IDM 2 with a key pad I am reluctant to start carrying around more things with my keys. I thought the idea of walking back, perhaps a little stumble or two, towards the caravan and remotely putting on the awning light was a nice feature. However key remotes can be become lost or damaged and if you are a long way from home the system becomes worthless if you can't turn it on or off. I expect there is a key to disarm in the event of a problem but perhaps the simplicity of the key pad is an advantage.

Has anyone any experience of using the SAS and if so what do you think of it as a system?

I considered the Concept Kel and to some degree still find it of interest but after having an IDM 2 with a key pad I am reluctant to start carrying around more things with my keys. I thought the idea of walking back, perhaps a little stumble or two, towards the caravan and remotely putting on the awning light was a nice feature. However key remotes can be become lost or damaged and if you are a long way from home the system becomes worthless if you can't turn it on or off. I expect there is a key to disarm in the event of a problem but perhaps the simplicity of the key pad is an advantage.

Has anyone any experience of using the SAS and if so what do you think of it as a system?

9264[/snapback]

There is a key to disarm the Concept Kel in the event that you lose your remote.

You can also easily disconnect all the wires if you know where the control box is. At least with the concept kel you can hide the control box.

The keypad on the IDM is a bit of a giveaway it would be quite easy to rip the wires out before the alarm actually goes off given that there is, I believe, an entrance delay. Its not easy to find a suitable place for the keypad that is quick to access and the wires are totally protected. At least there was not on our van.

Pete.

Thanks for the feed back on the SAS alarm. It sounds as if you have been quite happy with the unit but have suffered from intruders. I will take your comments on board with regard to the entry time and security of mounting. On reading the alarm makers guide it would appear to go off if tampered with. The problem you described could apply to almost any system if they are given enough time to find the unit and then rip out the wiring etc. The IDM unit I had in the previous caravan would also be vunerable to being pulled off the wall and the wires being exposed. I suspect that you would use the system again from your comments, if so that is a good recommendation for the system itself. Did you find it reasonably easy to fit? Look forward to your response if you get time. Regards Grahame.

I notice in the information for the Concept Kel that stabilisers using fibre pads prevent the alarm working unless both connecters are in place due to loss of earth. They have a workaround of using a brillo pad placed in the top of the stabiliser. This worries me are these stainless steel if not they are hardly going to last long are they? I would have thought as they disintegrate fragments would not do the pads used much good, or the towing ball?

They do say if the 12S is fitted all is well as earth is made through that. But do those stealing a van carefully fully connect up the van they are stealing? I would have thought they might use the 12N so as not attract attention but both?

What have those who have one of the Concept Kel alarms fitted found?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi thanks for your response. I finally decided to go with the Concept Kel and all seems to be working well. The components all seem to be of high quality and the instructions to fit are clear and easy to follow. I had one query over the wiring of the awning light for which I rang and spoke to Keen Electonics who were very helpful and quickly described the solution in simple terms, a good service and one that gives confidence for any future dealings with them. One of the key issues is the zero delay time on entry, no time for anyone to attempt to find the unit and disarm it before the neighbours are woken up by the 120db alarm which is a penetrating din. I will post any further details of the system as and when anything of note comes to light.