Single Electrics

Guest john1215

Guest john1215

My next tow car will be a Volvo V70. The car has a factory fit detachable towball that comes with a single socket and an adapter to plug in with 2 leads coming out. Anyone used one of these, any problems. I suspect that the could a problem with trailing cables.

john1215

Apologies for the spelling in the topic title.

I had the factory fit Volvo detachable towbar that comes with the 13 pin socket and adaptor lead. I used the adaptor lead for a short time. It is possible, using bunjay straps to tie up the excess cable. I decided it would be better to fit a 13pin plug onto the caravan, which I did and now it works well. Its a bit tricky getting two large cable into one plug, but it is possible.

I would suggest that you check the wiring out thoroughly as mine was wired to pre 1998 standard and the adaptor lead was incorrect. When complained to the garage, they showed me the Volvo intructions they had worked to, which they assured me were up to date, but they were to old standard. The towbars are not factory fitted, but fitted by the dealer.

It seems I was not alone with this problem, but it was two years ago. See this link

http://www. volvoclub. org. uk/new_style_wiring. htm

Be interesting to see how you get on

Brian

When I bought my Mercedes folly,it came with 13 pin electrics and adaptor cable. The adaptor cable was also incorrectly wired. The 13 pin plug and socket is a far superior system to ours,having very positive location and being water resistant.

If I had kept the car I intended to replace the 2x7 core cables on the caravan with a single 13 core cable. Although it would need reverting to UK standard when selling. :)

Frank

I just kept the 2 x 7core cables and ran into one 13pin plug. Put some heat shrink tubing around the two cables to hold them together near the plug. Agree it would have been better to run one 13 core cable all the way back into the caravan but it works quite well as it is. Just need to put the two plugs back on when I come to sell, which won't be for time.

I agree the 13 pin system is better in that the plug locks in with a twist and unlikely to come out. Seems we have EU standards on many things but not this one yet.

Brian

Guest Hobbybod
When I bought my Mercedes folly, it came with 13 pin electrics and adaptor cable. The adaptor cable was also incorrectly wired. The 13 pin plug and socket is a far superior system to ours, having very positive location and being water resistant.

9140[/snapback]

The incorrect wiring of adapter cables is far too common.

I use an adapter cable to convert the other way round; i. e. a 13-pin plug on the 'van to two 7-pin plugs to fit to the tow car.

Not all the pins were connected in the adapter going to the 12S plug (12N part was OK) and I had to re-wire it correctly.

This has been such a problem that at least one towbar guy has had to make up his own adapters for Mercs (and other cars) using the 13-pin socket; bought-in adapters were invariably wrong.

The 13-pin socket system is way better than the Dual 7-pin system, as Frank says, but be aware that there are two styles of 13-pin socket, Jaeger and Feder, (and if I could post an attachment I'd put some photos here!!!)

I have the Volvo detachable towbar and of course it was wired incorrectly by the dealer (bought the car with it already fitted but I'm a bit sad and checked it with a multi-meter). I wanted to fit a 13 core cable to my van but haven't got round to it yet. The only concern I have heard voiced is that the fridge feed wire can get a bit warm in the 13 core wire - don't know how true this is.

I use the "bungee" solution at the moment.