Tyre Pressures

colger23

I am interested to hear how other users handle tyre pressures when towing.

My previous car indicated pressures for 2 up and 4up + luggage. I always inflated tyres as needed for the total load ie 4up + luggage when towing. The difference between the two figures was not particularly great.

I have just bought a Passat Sport and the difference in rear tyre pressures for 2 up and fully loaded is quite large.

Thinking about it, the nose weight of the 'van is equivalent to one person so is it necessary to increase tyre pressures at all for towing.

You should inflate the tyres for the full load condition when towing. Don't forget to let them down when you get to site. A 12v electric compressor is extremely useful.

Brian

Hi colger,

Even though there are only two of us,I always inflate the car tyres for a full load when towing because of the amount of gear in the boot and the van probably being the equivalent of two people sitting directly over the back axle. :)

Frank

Guest john1215

Colger,

I was thinking this very same thing only the other day. My vehicle requires a greater pressure when fully loaded/towing. I have left them fully inflated for far too long since my last outing. Idleness I suppose but the ride is much better with them at the higher setting. I haven't noticed any undue tyre wear so far but I would assume that if I leave things as they are that is inevitable in the centre of the tread.

john1215

I am interested to hear how other users handle tyre pressures when towing.

My previous car indicated pressures for 2 up and 4up + luggage.   I always inflated tyres as needed for the total load ie 4up + luggage when towing.   The difference between the two figures was not particularly great.

I have just bought a Passat Sport and the difference in rear tyre pressures for 2 up and fully loaded is quite large.

Thinking about it, the nose weight of the 'van is equivalent to one person so is it necessary to increase tyre pressures at all for towing.

9067[/snapback]

Hi colger,I think it pays to follow the recommendations in owners handbook. Previous car was 29/26 front/rear for solo & 32/46 fullyladen or towing. Imagine my suprise with the Rover, 32 all round, solo, laden & towing. I've also checked it out with national tyre supplier who agreed the info to be correct. So perhaps that's another avenue worth persuing. :blink: John the 'ampshire 'og.

Thanks to all who responded.

I will carry on using the full load pressures when towing the 'van.

Hi,

Auto Express (Jan '05) recommended that you inflate your tyres to the maximum (full load) pressure for normal driving, if you wish to achieve better fuel comsumption.

Does anyone know if you can legally tow when a space saver spare is fitted to the towcar ie. you have had a puncture and are using the space saver?? I wouln't like to try it!!

Hi,

Auto Express (Jan '05) recommended that you inflate your tyres to the maximum (full load) pressure for normal driving, if you wish to achieve better fuel comsumption.

Does anyone know if you can legally tow when a space saver spare is fitted to the towcar ie. you have had a puncture and are using the space saver?? I wouln't like to try it!!

9347[/snapback]

You can legally tow with a space saver but vehicle manufacturers only recommend that you drive the absolute minimum distance to the next repair centre and keep to no more than 50 MPH.