Caravan Legs

KeithJ

Has anyone else had the following problem. Hard work winding down the legs on your van because they are so stiff? Our van is 2004 and needs the help of superman to wind the legs up and down. I took some extreme measures when I came back from our last outing. I got the old tub of cutting paste out of the garage applied it to the thread of one leg and kept winding it up and down (can't remember how long for) washed off the paste with some petrol applied some fresh grease it now works like magic. B)

keith

Has anyone else had the following problem.   Hard work winding down the legs on your van because they are so stiff?  Our van is 2004 and needs the help of superman to wind the legs up and down.   I took some extreme measures when I came back from our last outing.   I got the old tub of cutting paste out of the garage applied it to the thread of one leg and kept winding it up and down (can't remember how long for) washed off the paste with some petrol applied some fresh grease it now works like magic.   B)

keith

9064[/snapback]

Hi Keith,had this problem on previous caravan,Elddis Knightsbridge,just one leg though and it didn't get any better over 6 years. Lo and behold new van last year,yep one leg requires world's strongest man, the other 3 smooth as silk. Thanks for the tip,will be giving it a try. John the 'ampshire 'og

Hi Keith,had this problem on previous caravan,Elddis Knightsbridge,just one leg though and it didn't get any better over 6 years. Lo and behold new van last year,yep one leg requires world's strongest man, the other 3 smooth as silk. Thanks for the tip,will be giving it a try.                                                       John the 'ampshire 'og

9075[/snapback]

This is spooky!

I too have one steady leg (offside rear) that is really stiff - why?

Tradetech, are you still there, can you offer an explanation that doesn't involve and exorcist?

Martin W

Discovery D3 HSE + Coachman VIP 575/4 2016

www.pennplanning.co.uk

Has anybody checked to see if the threaded spindles are bent. You really need someone to turn it while you watch to see if there is any eccentric movement. A bent spindle will cause stiffness. Just an idea but from what Keith said his problem would appear to have been a tight thread. :unsure:

Frank

This is spooky!

I too have one steady leg (offside rear) that is really stiff - why?

Martin W

9125[/snapback]

Spooky is right!! Our new Swift also has the offside rear corner steady which is very tight. Perhaps its a built in design feature? :rolleyes:

Martin, is it YOUR leg or the caravan's? :D

Spooky is right!! Our new Swift also has the offside rear corner steady which is very tight. Perhaps its a built in design feature?  :rolleyes:

Martin, is it YOUR leg or the caravan's?  :D

9159[/snapback]

Sometimes it's my leg but that depends on who hands me a beer when I get to site :P:P:P

Martin W

Discovery D3 HSE + Coachman VIP 575/4 2016

www.pennplanning.co.uk

Sometimes it's my leg but that depends on who hands me a beer when I get to site :P  :P  :P

Martin W

9205[/snapback]

Agree with the bent spindle theory but could also be a damaged nut. These can be bought as spare parts. Don't forget to lubricate the pivot points, these are pressed in rivets and potentially could be tight. A tin of spray grease is is a good investment as it is easy to apply.

Mike

Spooky indeed B) yep rear offside and it has been like it from new. I asked for it to be looked at on the last service (before waranty run out) but it only got a dollop of grease and precious little else. Think I might give this one a try when the back allows me to bend it a little, still it is nice lying back watching the tele with a glass of the amber pain relief.

Phil

Just read a letter in one of the caravan magazines about this problem. Seems when a caravan is on a transporter one of the steadies is often used as an anchorage point and the strain from this causes the thread part to become distorted making it either stiff or impossible to wind down. The letter writer in question had his replaced F. O. C by the dealer!

Guest john1215

This is a possible explanation of the cause of this problem, on the other hand I could be way off base but, having worked in the caravan construction industry, a long time ago but. .... When caravans were built then, each stage of adding parts, eg roof, walls and furniture was done on a level chassis, the legs were dropped and the floor set level. At the end of each stage the legs were lifted but not always to the top, just enough to save time and allow the van to move on. When the van reaches the end of the line, there was often a ramp to go down to get outside, and the caravan steadies often caught the ramp as they moved along, this could account for it being one leg, whichever was the lowest.

john1215

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Keith

Never had any problems with tight threads on steadies. Keep winding. Sounds like one down and three to go. :)

Frank

9070[/snapback]

Hi all, sorry it's a late reply. When I said tight threads what I really meant was all of the legs but looking back on it I believe nearside rear was the worst. Thanks everyone for the tips but I dont think regular lubrication will solve this one. I think I'll have to stick with cutting paste. Also I did find that the course cutting paste was harder to use so I'll try the fine next time.

keith B)

My Elddis is the same, only it's the nearside rear. :o

I wonder if it is contagious????????????? :D

Paul

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Could it be aggravated by general road muck thrown up by the wheels. You tend to get more spray on the nearside than the offside due to the camber,although I did note that one had been affected from new. I have fitted home brewed mudflaps and the van stays very clean underneath.

Perhaps Copperslip innoculation en-mass is required to stop an epidemic. :lol:

Frank

Could it be aggravated by general road muck thrown up by the wheels. You tend to get more spray on the nearside than the offside due to the camber,although I did note that one had been affected from new. I have fitted home brewed mudflaps and the van stays very clean underneath.

Perhaps Copperslip innoculation en-mass is required to stop an epidemic. :lol:

Frank

12240[/snapback]

My caravan has been the same from new, although I must be getting stronger as after 14 months it seems to be easier, :blink:

Paul

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

• 3 weeks later...

My steadies were fine until my daughter raised the back legs with the electric drill.

The drill was on slow speed (high torque) and she drove the legs up until the drill stalled.

The drill clutch was not set, and the steady's screwthreads bent.

I was not a happy bunny!

Since then, we wind the legs by hand.

Dave

Before you add grease to the threads, check to make sure the nut it goes through is made of metal

Some are made of plastic/nylon which will swell if they come into contact with grease. Thus giving a tight thread

When we first bought our van (second hand) all the steady threads were covered in grease. It struck me that with the grease and inevitable road grit it made an excellent grinding paste (for the same reason I never lubricate the tow ball). I degreased the steady threads and now use chain lubricant as it isn't as sticky and comes in an aerosol so it's easy to apply.