Stop Over Site Scotland

Travelling up to Bunree in Sept 477 miles from home, thinking about a stopover site between Carlisle and Glasgow any reccomendations ?

Nothing fancy, CL would be ok no more than 5 miles from motorway.

many thanks

Martin

Moffat is Camping and Caravanning Club and you need to check that you can only stay one night. Peak season they have a minimum stay of 2 nights. Hope you can get away with it in September. I stayed at Moffat last year and then got to Bunree by mid afternoon, but go via Stirling, not the West side of Loch Lomond.

Travelling up to Bunree in Sept 477 miles from home, thinking about a stopover site between Carlisle and Glasgow any reccomendations ?

Nothing fancy, CL would be ok no more than 5 miles from motorway.

many thanks

Martin

9027[/snapback]

Martin

strathclyde country park juction 5 or 6 is only 2 minutes off M74

it is open till october

they have a web site for the park

any of the 2 exits. . one takes you in the motherwell end the other the hamilton end

there is plenty of eating places in the park.

easy access back on to the M74 a mile further on is the cut off for M73 which will then take you on to the M80 stirling. .. if I can be of any further assistance let me know.

TommyG

Martin

strathclyde country park  juction 5 or 6 is only 2 minutes off M74

it is open till october

they have a web site for the park

any of the 2 exits. . one takes you in the motherwell end the other the hamilton end

there is plenty of eating places in the park.

easy access back on to the M74 a mile further on is the cut off for M73 which will then take you on to the M80 stirling. .. if I can be of any further assistance let me know.

TommyG

9446[/snapback]

Thanks Tommy

will put this one on my list,

have you been to Bunree ?

Martin

Thanks Tommy

will put this one on my list,

have you been to Bunree ?

Martin

9449[/snapback]

Hi Martin

I have'nt been to Bunree but it gets a lot of good reports on this forum.

It is a Caravan Club Golden Jubilee site and one of the loveliest settings in Scotland.

I have only had a couple of seasons ( new in our old age lol ) local caravanners have sopken highly of it for years.

Pitches overlook the waters edge of Loch Linnhe and it is one that I will be heading for sometime in the near future

I am sure you will have a wonderful time

keep in touch nearer the time. ...

Happy Caravanning

TommyG

ps Martin junction 5 would be the easiest come off 5 take R at roundabout which will take you under fly over continue r and you will see park entrance

on left you almost do a complete circle.

post-270-1107901961.jpgView of our van which was sited at the back. As you can see they are terraced so you get a view of the loch even from there. Notice that the hard standings are big. They are also very hard, the toughest I have come across in the last year, so you need a strong mallet and strong awning pegs(they sell them in the shop). We had a wooded hill just behind our plot so it was very sheltered and quiet.

Last time we drove to Scotland, we used a motorway service station as our stop over. It worked really well as you can drive though the night and not worry about what time you arrive. .. Remember you need to pay in the services restaurant.

Although be warned the parking is pretty basic and you are not supposed to light any gas !

We used this CC CL at Newbiggin Nr. Penrith both ways on our Scottish trip last year.

www. tymparon. freeserve. co. uk

Tel:017684-83236

Nice quiet site [approx 2. 5m from Motorway] shower. toilet. elec. hook-up [metered cost us 40p].

Grass standing with gravel road approach [working farm]. Cost £5!!!

There is a great Pub in Stainton for excellent evening meals.

Mike B)

We used this CC CL at Newbiggin Nr. Penrith both ways on our Scottish trip last year.

www. tymparon. freeserve. co. uk

Tel:017684-83236

Nice quiet site [approx 2. 5m from Motorway] shower. toilet. elec. hook-up [metered cost us 40p].

Grass standing with gravel road approach [working farm]. Cost £5!!!

There is a great Pub in Stainton for excellent evening meals.

Mike B)

10783[/snapback]

Thanks for that Mike, Cornwall - Scotland :o

Thanks for that Mike, Cornwall - Scotland  :o

10806[/snapback]

Yes it was some trip as we went to Oban, Fort William & Skye. Total mileage 2200+

However the scenery is superb - changing at every bend in the road. Plus - No Speed cameras, FREE car parking everywhere, empty roads and lovely friendly natives - we had a great Holiday. Worst part for towing was the A82 beside Loch Lomand - very narrow - watch out for approaching coach's.

Mike ;)

• 4 years later...

I am starting my Scotland tour in April. I am stopping on a farm in Lupton (J36 M6 overnight, travelling from Exmoor), I was looking for an exercise stop at top end of M74 ( three retrievers) Strathclyde Country Park sounds as though it will be ideal! Thanks guys! I didn't even know it was there before reading this thread. I logged in with the intention of asking for a recommendation.

Linda

an't beat Moffat C&CC site. If staying just one night and can manage w/o EHU, there's a large overflow area at the back and you needn't book. Site is a short walk into a lovely old town with plenty of pubs and eateries.

We are also heading for this site in September and our route was to be on the A82 but I note various peoples caution about this route at the side of Loch Lomond. I assume that the alternative is via Stirling then the A84 and A85? I would be grateful for any comments. Thanks.

Yes the route to Bunree from Stirling is the A84 and then A85 and then the A82 from Crianlarich. You have M way or Dual Carriageway all the way to Stirling and the A84 and A85 are good roads when towing. The advantage of going by Stirling is twofold. Firstly, you miss the M8 and all the traffic through Glasgow and out on the A82. Secondly, the A82 is narrow with blind bends on the northern stretch past Loch Lomond after Tarbert and is a real squeeze when you meet buses, lorries or other outfits. At one point, Pulpit Rock, there are temporary traffic lights that have been there for over 20 years, as that stretch is too narrow to pass if you meet anything coming the other way. You can tow that way, and many do, but the Stirling alternative is more relaxing, particularly at the latter stages of a long tow.

Edited by burstneraddict