Trackers, Again

I am ordering a van. As its will be a new 2 berth one. Fitting an alarm and tracker looks worthwhile. I know there was discussion on the old news group on these but that’s now lost to access. I would be grateful what others think both alarms and trackers (and if they are worth it?)

John

Check with your insurance company and see what discount you will get for both a tracker and an alarm.

I checked before fitting an alarm and the Insurance company provided guidelines to the type of alarm that they would give a discount on.

From memory I will recoup the cost of the alarm in 4 years. (Assuming premiums don't go up.) Not the only reason for fitting an alarm but it helps.

Pete

Guest john1215

I have a tracker fitted - my insurance company gave me a 30% discount for having done so (on their advice). Whether it is worth it depends on how it performs if the van is attacked and stolen. I moved my van a few weeks ago in the storage facility and forgot to turn off the unit. I had only gone 500 metres and the control centre had already phoned my home and almost immediately rang me to enquire if it was moving lawfully. The tracker will notify me of any attemtp to move the van more than 10 yards, it will notify its position via satellite and if placed in a container it will notify its last know postion using mobile phone signals.

john1215

Guest Hobbybod
I am ordering a van. As its will be a new 2 berth one. Fitting an alarm and tracker looks worthwhile. I know there was discussion on the old news group on these but that’s now lost to access. I would be grateful what others think both alarms and trackers (and if they are worth it?)

8957[/snapback]

There's quite a bit about GSM/GPS Tracker Type Alarms here. Hope the link works!

Such Alarms don't require an Annual fee and hence have no central control base. You get 'phoned if any alarm sensors are triggered and/or if the'van moves from it's 'set' GPS position. Go from ~£200 - ~£500 depending on how fancy they are.