Sun Canopy - Any Experience

tonyp

Tony

We have a Dorema cotton Sun canopy with sides and held up by 3 poles. Its easy to put up and useful for weekend. I think its really useful bit of kit. However if I was using the van in the South Of France I would use our full awning because it gives more shade.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

We have a Caravan Store, about 4. 5m long, we find it brilliant. In the wet weather it acts as a dry spot for getting in and out of the van and for packing things away and in the dry its fine as a sun shade.

You can put it up and down in minutes even if its wet and it stays attached to the van all the time. it doesn't make any difference to the handling of the van.

we did start off with a smaller store, but changed it to get the biggest one that would fit.

Yossa

I am considering buying a sun canopy instead of a full awning. Anybody got any comments? The wife still favours a full awning argueing versatility but its me that puts it up!!

8769[/snapback]

I would reccomend a full awning, one that you can unzip and remove both front panels and also the side panels as well. Typical awnings are Isabella, and I think Trio there may well be other manufacturers. The beauty is that you have the best of both worlds. I. E. with all panels removed this is similiar to just a canopy is it not? and if you wish, the panels one or more can be zipped in at any time. It dosn't take long to erect and you have the benefit of it every single moment that it is in place.

I have both. A full awning is lovely - I have a Bradcot Classic with zip out panels etc. BUT it takes an hour to put up and its a two person job. So that gets used for long breaks.

I wanted something for weekends that would be quick to put up. Other caravanners put me off getting a porch awning cause they said they took nearly as long to put up as a full awning. Then I saw a Dorema Solano canopy (wonder whether thats what David has). We liked the fact that it has sides and even a skirt so you get a fair amount of shelter and it extends out as far as a full awning. Its been great. I can put it up on my own in 10 minutes. l I have been surprised at how stable it is in high wind.

So get both. Full awning for long holiday, canopy for the rest of the time.

P. S. If you look on my personal profile you can just about make out the Dorema Solano on my van and see the colours - dark blue with grey roof

I have both. A full awning is lovely - I have a Bradcot Classic with zip out panels etc. BUT it takes an hour to put up and its a two person job. So that gets used for long breaks.

I wanted something for weekends that would be quick to put up. Other caravanners put me off getting a porch awning cause they said they took nearly as long to put up as a full awning. Then I saw a Dorema Solano canopy (wonder whether thats what David has). We liked the fact that it has sides and even a skirt so you get a fair amount of shelter and it extends out as far as a full awning. Its been great. I can put it up on my own in 10 minutes. l I have been surprised at how stable it is in high wind.

So get both. Full awning for long holiday, canopy for the rest of the time.

P. S. If you look on my personal profile you can just about make out the Dorema Solano on my van and see the colours - dark blue with grey roof

8799[/snapback]

Very pleased with the Caravanstor. £ minutes to rolll out and peg and the same to put away. Has anyone got any experience of sides on this model ar a 'ZIP' model?

Mike

Tony

We have a Dorema cotton Sun canopy with sides and held up by 3 poles. Its easy to put up and useful for weekend. I think its really useful bit of kit. However if I was using the van in the South Of France I would use our full awning because it gives more shade.

David

8785[/snapback]

We have a Dorema sun canopy and provided you position your van correctly you will get all the sun or shade you want.

We will be using ours on the south coast of france in June.

We have had both a full awning (when the kids came on holiday with us) and a porch awning before we settled on the sun canopy which we prefer for the 2 of us.

Pete

We have a Dorema sun canopy and provided you position your van correctly you will get all the sun or shade you want.

We will be using ours on the south coast of France in June.

Pete

That was not our experience. Don't get me wrong we like the Sun Canopy but we found that on a beach site in South of France it did not give us enough shade. I should perhaps add that when we purchased our previous van it was our first 2 berth. After much discussion we decided to by a fairly large porch awning but found it as much trouble to put up as a full awning. Margaret was convinced we did not need a full awning. Supplemented the porch with the sun canopy. Excellent in most respects but found it not so useful when yards from a beach in full Mediterranean sun. Following year purchased a full awning which we found more to our liking in that sort of heat. We still use the Dorema for touring holidays and have since sold the porch awning. Mind you I have been toying with the idea of a Caravanstore.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Guest john1215

Hi all,

An important consideration when you're caravanning, particularly when its a main holiday is the weight of gear that you take clothes etc. A big plus for the Sun Canopy is just that, weight, there is hardly any, there are at most half a dozen poles, alloy at that maybe. and a lot less canvas than a full awning.

I would argue with the claim that you are better off with a full awning, if you zip out the front panels, what do you have - a canopy so why bring the front panels in the first place?

We have a Dorema Panorama that has zip out sides which when attached are just like a full awning with the front zipped out, still gives plenty of shade at the important time - ie midday and being more open there is more chance of catching a nice breeze. I'm not decrying a full awnings just pointing out that in some respects, a canopy is just as good.

It does often depend too, on which canopy you buy.

john1215

Hi all,

An important consideration when you're caravanning, particularly when its a main holiday is the weight of gear that you take clothes etc. A big plus for the Sun Canopy is just that, weight, there is hardly any, there are at most half a dozen poles, alloy at that maybe. and a lot less canvas than a full awning.

I would argue with the claim that you are better off with a full awning, if you zip out the front panels, what do you have - a canopy so why bring the front panels in the first place

We have a Dorema Panorama that has zip out sides which when attached are just like a full awning with the front zipped out, still gives plenty of shade at the important time - ie midday and being more open there is more chance of catching a nice breeze. I'm not decrying a full awnings just pointing out that in some respects, a canopy is just as good.

It does often depend too, on which canopy you buy.

john1215

8852[/snapback]

There would be no reason to leave the front panels or side panels or both at home. The reason to take them is because if you are unlucky and it rains cat's and dog's, then it would take but a few moments to zip the panels back in. One holiday person has just said that they went to the Vendee and it rained every single day. Therefore it is much more comfortable to have a full awning up rather than just a canopy. But that is of course an individuals choice. As to the weight, well it's negligable, the difference is not thst substantial to the tow vehicle that you could honestly say, yes there is a horendous difference, its either just 2 or 4 panels of material and a few extra poles, IXL (fibre glass) so the weight is really minimal.

Guest john1215

Robin,

I didn't make it clear and for that I apologise.

I wasn't suggesting that you left the front panels at home, that would be silly. I was merely pointing out that a full awning, without them was a canopy.

".......... then it would take but a few moments to zip the panels back in." Providing you are at the van when it does rain.

john1215

We really enjoyed our sun canopy when we started caravanning and they do keep you dry in all weathers, try ajm shopping. co. uk there are some very reasonable priced ones there ( we got ours from there and it was excellent) we have now decided to buy a awning from NR, direct as others have said you have really got both, just take the front out and its a canopy, we have moved on to a awning because we sometimes found at night if you fancied a drink or a smoke it was cold and draughty in the canopy so we can be shut in now if we want as well. :)

We really enjoyed our sun canopy when we started caravanning and they do keep you dry in all weathers, try ajm shopping. co. uk there are some very reasonable priced ones there ( we got ours from there and it was excellent) we have now decided to buy a awning from NR, direct as others have said you have really got both, just take the front out and its a canopy, we have moved on to a awning because we sometimes found at night if you fancied a drink or a smoke it was cold and draughty in the canopy so we can be shut in now if we want as well.   :)

8912[/snapback]

This is what I was precisely intimating, without panels it is tantamount to a canopy, also at night it gives a little degree of privacy if curtains are drawn and not advertising all one's accessories such as sun loungers etc. Unfortunately, the tea leaves do exist albeit in the minority thank goodness. One can always zip in the panels before they leave site which would stop prying eye's and also if it rained whilst you were out at least you know that it would be dry inside the awning on your return.