How Often Should A Water Filter Be Changed?

I was reading in the latest issue of Caravan that a Trauma crystal filter needs to be changed after 30 days of use (about every eight weekends)

Does anyone know what filter would have been fitted in our Bailey Pageant Vendee 2003 model. I have seen it in the cupboard to the right hand side of the oven where the table is kept, but not sure of the make. I think is it a Whale as we also have a Whale surge master.

I was under the impression that it would be changed every year when we had the caravan serviced.

Regards

Trevor

Seems like you have an inline filter. If so these are good for 4500litres and are expensive to replace - about £24 last time I checked. Mine is just in the line to the kitchen taps, where we probably use no more than 15 litres/night so on that basis should be good for 300 nights.

For drinking water we carry a Brita filter so the inline filter is really redundant.

Brian

You can contact a company called Filterpacx which offers rechargeable in line water filters. Their web address is www. filtapac. co. uk. They talki about 5000 litres between re-charges.

I have no knowledge of filters and this is only a suggestion as Lunar caravans do not have any filters in them, well anyway 2005 onwards. Often wondered if I should get an online filter.

Guest john1215

Iank,

My 2004 Lunar hasn't got any filters as far as I know, the dealer din't mention them in the nahd over, in fact I don't think my last challenger had one either, does it depend on the make of water system I wonder?

john1215

as alot of caravanners are what we call in the trade `fair weather caravanners` that being they only use them in the warmer months of the year and often for a main holiday and a few week ends. This means changing water filters is not a problem and can be left until the anual service. caravanners who use their vans throughout the year may need to change the filter more than once in the year. filters are normally calculated on the amount of water that passes through them rather than the days that it is in use. in any case it is not reccomended that a filter be left unchanged for more than one year for obvious reasons. Also as mentioned before filtapac do rechargeable filters both for the inlne type and the Truma / carver Mk3 screw in type these can work out a little cheaper

hope this information is of use

Phil

Thanks Phil, but do you have any idea why Lunar caravans don't have filters in them any more? I don't know if this applies to other new caravans. Mine is a 2004.