New Discovery - Mass Train Weight

Mikesmash

Am I right in thinking the gross train weight for anyone who has passed their driving test after Jan 1997 is 4. 25 tonnes braked. Let's say they want to buy the "car of the year" new Discovery weighing a massive 2700Kgs. Towing an average twin axle caravan at around 1600KGs would put them over the limit. Is this right?

I thought that the limit was 3500 Kgs. Above that and you have to take a further test before you can tow. I think that it is quite sensible really.

If it makes the roads safer then I'm all for it.

Pete.

Yes, if you took your driving test after 1 Jan 1997, the gross train limit is 3500Kg. So with your Disco, you can only pull a caravan of 800Kgs! - unless you take an additional towing test.

If you took your test before 1 Jan 1997, the limit is 8250Kgs

http://www. ntta. co. uk/law/law/driving_licences. htm

Brian

I've got a Class 1 heavy goods licence so I don't have to worry about such piffling concerns B)

I'm not convinced it makes the roads safer. ..

Makes for money for the Goverment.

The towing vehicle to caravan weight ratio would be more critical.

If you exceed 3,500 kgs in France don't the speed limits also change?

Does that also apply in this country?

I also would have thought that any form of lessons / towing test would cover things like vehicle / caravan weight ratios etc and must help make roads safer. If they don't then what's the point of even taking a driving test?

Pete

I enquired about all of this and the caravan club don't know anything about this which would help me so I contacted and HGV test centre, which is were I would have had to take the B+E test to tow my unti, and they informed me i would need to use my own units to take this test. So I would have to pick my own caravan up and take it to the test centre who would show me how to hitch my own caravan to my car and show how to tow my caravan on the road safely!!!!!!!!! <_<

I think this is a money spinning idea from the Goverment my slef as this would would cost me in the excess of £600 to take!!!!!!!!! I don't think so. ...

Hi Discotd5,

Don't know why you got a negative response from the caravan club. The driving licence rules are explained on page 604 of the handbook. Note that the additional test to get category B+E on your licence only applies if you took your driving test after 1 Jan 1997. If you took your test before then, you already have it.

Brian

I think this is a money spinning  idea from the Goverment my slef as this would would cost me in the excess of £600 to take!!!!!!!!! I don't think so. ...

9200[/snapback]

Is this a cunning plan to eventually get most of the caravans off the road,as no one other than HGV drivers will be automatically licenced to tow? :unsure:

Frank

It only applies to gross train weights in excess of 3500Kg, which in reality probably only affects twin axles. I wonder how many twin axles you see being pulled by Transit vans or trucks are fully licenced?

Brian

Discotd5,

Where does the £600 come from? The B+E test is £76 or was last year.

You can drive an outfit over the combined max of 3500kg with L plates on as long as you are accompanied by a person over 21 yrs with B+E on their licence and has held that licence for at least 2 yrs. How else could you get to the test centre?

Tall Limey

It only applies to gross train weights in excess of 3500Kg, which in reality probably only affects twin axles. I wonder how many twin axles you see being pulled by Transit vans or trucks are fully licenced?

Brian

9306[/snapback]

The new Disco weighs in a 2700kg so your van would only need to be 800kg to reach 3500kg.

Didn't realise it was so heavy. It means towing any caravan will be above the 3500Kg limit as I don't know of any with a MTPLM below 800kg. Anyway, if there were, you would not need a Disco. It will become more of a problem as time goes on when more people who passed their test after 1 Jan 1997 will be using them.

Actually, 2700Kg is just about the weight of my car and caravan. ....loaded! I wonder what the fuel consumption is like.

Brian

Edited by BrianI