Picturesque Cl's Or Big Sites

youngjimmy22

I am interssted to hear what you all prefer.

I love CL's in the middle of no where and waking up to rolling fields, fresh milk from the farmer and a good yocal pub within staggering distance but not next door.

I have been on big sites but I find them alot more expensive as you have to pay per peson per night and also it isn't as quiete I have found.

Lets hear your views

I have been on big sites but I find them alot more expensive as you have to pay per peson per night and also it isn't as quiete I have found.[/quote

How I agree, it makes me so cross when you have to pay per person, we have stayed on some really lovely CL's over the years and will continue to do so.

With 2 boys aged 9 & 11 Cl's are not really an option for us. We don't always need a club on site, but it helps if there is a pool and other kids to play with.

If they are happy, we are happy.

We always go for a commercial site for our main 2 week holiday and then use the club sites or small private sites the rest of the year.

I went away with my parents and little brother when we were 3 and 1 and always went on CL's. When we could ride our bikes that was it off we went and not to be seen until we smelt food! My parents thought it was great as there was a huge field to ride our bikes and if we fell off it was soft grass and also alot safer for kids to be on their own.

CL's everytime for me

When I was small I stayed on big sites with my parents, but as I got older we stayed more and more on CLs.

Now, we stay on CLs as much as possible, for the same reasons you give. That doesn't mean however that we would ignore a large organised site if it fitted in with our travel plans and requirements. Some are very good.

We prefer CLs in the summer but unfortunately in the winter it is a good idea to use a proper site. The ideal CL must be near a pub and perhaps have a toilet or two but not essential, the toilet, that is. :D

We have been caravaning for just over 7 yrs and used big sites every time we went out. 2 weeks ago after many a descussion we decided to join the c/club and were amazed on recieving the info just how many of these CL sites are on our doorstep. We like to have the hookup (having 3 small children) and at four to five pound a night we cant wait to start getting out more. I know some of these big sites might be expensive to run,but how can they justify over £20 a night for 2 adults and 3 small children?should have joined the c/club yrs ago. ..steve

Guest macSpot

We did the comercial sites while the children were young, now its either CL's or club sites.

In France we try and use Municipals, which are local council owned sites - only ever been disappointed once in 8 visits and goodness knows how many sites, we like to move around. :D

MacSpot

Hi

Does it have to be either/or?

There are only the two of us but we have managed to find a number of small privately owned sites-preferably with fishing that have nothing but the usual ameneties, so charging per person often comes out cheaper for us.

With such a diversity of types of sites it just shows that with caravanning there is something for everyone :)

We prefer CLs in the summer but unfortunately in the winter it is a good idea to use a proper site.   The ideal CL must be near a pub and perhaps have a toilet or two but not essential, the toilet, that is. :D

8561[/snapback]

Try the CL at Burwarton - not far from you, and right next to a very nice pub, the Three Horseshoes as I recall.

We always try to use either CL sites or club sites that dont have a toilet block, they're cheaper and quieter than the bigger sites, when we bought the van we went for one with a good sized rear washroom just for this purpose. We avoid the big commercial sites with entertainment, kareoke and kiddies clubs etc like the plague.

CL's everytime for me hopfully with a lake to fish, it always seems so expensive to stay at big sites maybe i am just a skinflint :lol:

Chris L

We would use CLs every time,unless none where available, and a CL with electric hookup is the ultimate for us. :)

Frank

8517[/snapback]

I didn't realise that some CL's have electric hook up, we don't need showers or loos on site but would not stay on a site without lecky.

How do you find out if the site has lecky or not ??

CL's with lecky sound perfect .

I would imagine that CL's would not appeal to families with children.

Hence a quiet relaxing break!!

Also gizzmo man if you are looking in the camping and caravn club book the lecky sites are marked with a continental type socket. (a circle with 2 black dots next too each other)

I am glad to see that most of you use CL's. Why does the caravan and Camping club have so few. They have some but 75% of the time they have shops etc on site and I dont class that as a CL or CS in their books.

Gizmo

If you have Autoroute you can also download a set of CC CL pushpins (Markers) from this site:

http://www. jollyinteresting. co. uk/pushpins/

I find it much easier to search the area I want to visit using the pushpins, then by double clicking possible sites, you get info to appear regarding facilities etc.

The chap who entered all this data is amazing - it must have taken him ages!

Had a look at the caravan rallys down in Cornwall and a lot of them are asking for almost £200 for 2 weeks in July and that is with out electric as well. I have found a nice CL site by weighbridge which is 1 mile away from the beach which is with electric for £85 for the 2 weeks, some of these clubs are starting to rip people off at the moment!!!!!! :angry:

Had a look at the caravan rallys down in Cornwall and a lot of them are asking for almost £200 for 2 weeks in July and that is with out electric as well. I have found a nice CL site by weighbridge which is 1 mile away from the beach which is with electric for £85 for the 2 weeks, some of these clubs are starting to rip people off at the moment!!!!!!  :angry:

10490[/snapback]

I suppose it's the Law of Supply and Demand - sites charge what people are prepared to pay.

From an insight into the hotel business, a hotel room (and by inference a caravan pitch) is a "totally perishable commodity". If you deal in bricks, and you don't sell any bricks one day, then it's no real problem - they don't "go off" and you can sell them tomorrow - or next month. If you deal in apples, then your stock probably has a life of a good few days at least.

But if you don't sell a "room", then it's gone - you can never sell that day - or night's - use again; it's a total loss.

So all that happens is that sites will keep increasing their prices as long as they can sell enough pitches to make whatever profit they aim for.

In this case basic economics works against the consumer, when a desireable commodity is in short supply.

Archived