Why We Bought New And Not Secondhand

matt

Not for the first time it been queried why we bought a new caravan when we were newcomers to the pastime and therefore may not have been sure whether we would take to it or not so "why spend so much money"

When we started looking, we never dreamt of spending such a huge sum. We looked at secondhand caravans at dealers and very quickly realised that even a van some years old was still quite few thousand pounds. The selection of vans we looked at tended to be quite scruffy, smelly, and for what they were (compared to new) overpriced. My wife didn't want to sleep in someone elses bed. Would anyone here buy a 7 year old secondhand bed and associated furnishings??

I read numerous articles on the pitfalls of damp caravans. Buying a nicked caravan. Going away in a secondhand caravan with things going wrong with it. Minimal warrantys. We wanted to give this thing a maximum chance with our stays away being as troublefree as possible.

The price of a new van, with all the benefits thrown in, seemed to good to miss with secondhand prices as they were. Depreciation appeared low. Demand for used vans was high (easy to sell if we wanted to sell). A troublefree warranty. All in all, buying new seemed a good proposition.

If we sold now, we'd lose money. BUT, we and the kids have had great times away and we've given vanning the maximum chance of suceeding for us rather than wondering if it would be nicer if the van was better etc etc etc.

Seems to me, others are quite happy to splash out on new cars and change for almost no reason, (what a tragic waste of money). Somehow, it should be different with a caravan. Why?!

I agree, we followed all the advice re not buying until your sure your going to like caravaning. We spent nearly six months looking for "the caravan". we bought then after the first trip abroad we decided that we wanted a fixed bed. We are now waiting to take delivery of a new caravan, mostly for all reason given above. Hind sight is a great thing, but we had planned to get a new caravan but all the advice was "try it first". Ah well, roll on spring, we can start getting our monies worth out of our caravan.

I agree, we followed all the advice re not buying until your sure your going to like caravaning. We spent nearly six months looking for "the caravan". we bought then after the first trip abroad we decided that we wanted a fixed bed. We are now waiting to take delivery of a new caravan, mostly for all reason given above. Hind sight is a great thing, but we had planned to get a new caravan but all the advice was "try it first". Ah well, roll on spring, we can start getting our monies worth out of our caravan.

8355[/snapback]

I am really, really glad that you buy new caravans. The more new caravans that are sold means more used caravans to buy. Hoorah!!

Mike

Unfortunately not everybody is able to afford a new van(this post isn`t aimed at you Matt) but for some people its a way of giving their family a break, regardless of how much they`re van cost them, items like beds can be replaced and smells can be removed. Our vans sited amoungst some far superior caravans and it doesn`t bother me what-so-ever. Bloke across from us CAN`T wait to bragg how much his outfit cost. We spent a minimum on our van and the reason being if we didn`t take to it we wern`t going to "blow our brains out" on something that was a fad. I shall get off my soapbox now ATB

Unfortunately not everybody is able to afford a new van(this post isn`t aimed at you Matt) but for some people its a way of giving their family a break, regardless of how much they`re van cost them, items like beds can be replaced and smells can be removed. Our vans sited amoungst some far superior caravans and it doesn`t bother me what-so-ever. Bloke across from us CAN`T wait to bragg how much his outfit cost. We spent a minimum on our van and the reason being if we didn`t take to it we wern`t going to "blow our brains out" on something that was a fad. I shall get off my soapbox now ATB

8375[/snapback]

Same with me Teash. Didn't want a real shed, but was willing to do without a few of the bells and whistles because no way could I afford to spend £10-£15,000. I'm sure we have just as good a time though. :lol:

the reason I bought new was simple I had a Folding Camper to PX and the price I was given was more that half the price of the new caravan so there was no compromise.

At one time I used to change my car every 12 month because I get discount of up to 25%

I bought a lovely used van to see if we liked it (we LOVED IT) so bought my new fixed double bed four berth van we use as a two berth.

I was quite happy with the old van but my back and arthritis is giving me jip now :angry:

Nearly new prices are so near new it wasn't an option for us and when you see van warranties not transferable will only buy new from now on. (I am at an age where I only have to consider my Wife and aged Father) but for families new may not be an option.

Plenty of good second hand vans out there so we all have to start somewhere.

And if your like the teashs Jim i`m sure that you`ve enjoyed every minute of it. We`ve only had our outfit since late 2004 and ots probably paid for itself (thats if we spent the same amount of time in an hotel) . Made 1 MAJOR purchase and that was the awning but the way I see it its an extention on the van + i`ll probably get it back if we decice to sell up.

What can you do in a new van that you cant do in an older one ???

8393[/snapback]

Smell the "newness" :D apparently but wouldn`t know. My orginal post wasn`t aimed at people who can afford new vans but the way it was perceived

What can you do in a new van that you cant do in an older one ???

8393[/snapback]

What can you do with a new car, house, push bike, motor bike, the list goes on that you can't do with an old one. I fail to understand what part of my reasoning for buying new people don't understand. I've said it often enough but still the comments come B)

hi all

i've got to say that if it wasn't for buying used vans, me and my family would not have had holidays at all in past years, our first van cost us £250 and was loads of fun.

With 2 children and the associated mess i don't think we could relax as much in a brand new van with "careful don't spill that " etc. .. that a new van would entail.

Everyone to their own, this is just my own opinion.

ray

A couple of thoughts spring to mind "Each to his own" & "Horses for courses". We will all make our own choices based on circumstances, and with the help of forums like this one, hopefully we will all make informed choices and be happy with them.

To coin another phrase as "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" then the value of a caravan is in the mind of the family that owns it.

UP UNTIL NOVEMEBER LAST YEAR WE HAD A VANGO FIREBLAZER 500 TENT, THEN WE WENT TO A MEET WITH OTHER PEOPLE FROM ANOTHER CAMPING AND CARAVAN SITE, THERE WAS ONLY 2 OF US HAD TENTS THE REST HAD ALL SORTS OF CARAVANS . WE HAD A LOOK AROUND SOME OF THE VANS AND WE WERE HOOKED AS SOON AS WE GOT HOME WE STARTED LOOKING THROUGH NEWSPAPER ADS AND EBAY ETC . WE SAW THE AD FOR AN ABI ACE MARAUDER 350/2 IT WAS £450 (WE ONLY HAD £500 TO PLAY WITH) WE VIEWED IT AND LOVED IT, WE MANAGED TO GET THE GUY DOWN TO £375. 00, IT HAS A FEW WEE DENTS ETC BUT ITS OUR PRIDE AND JOY AND CANT WAIT TO GET OUT IN IT,ALSO NO DAMP AND FOR A 1989 VAN WE THINK WE HAVE BEEN REALLY LUCKY. OK ITS A BIT OLDFASHIONED LOOKING COMPARED TO A LOT OF THE VANS PEOPLE HAVE ON SITES ETC BUT ITS ONLY FOR SLEEPING IN AND MAKING SOME TEA ETC AS MOST TIMES WE WOULD BE OUTSIDE ANYWAY,SO IAM SURE WE WILL BE AS HAPPY IN OURS AS OTHERS WILL BE IN THEIR NEW VANS

We were in the same position, Matt, looking at 2nd hand vans but realising that for a little more cash we could get a new van, better warranty, etc etc.

Fortunately we've no intention of parting with our van for a long time, and as 2nd hand vans are now becoming very sought after the proportion of dodgy deals will also unfortunately increase, meaning potentially more problems buying 2nd hand in the future. Plus as first timers we didn't have a van to pass onwards, I wonder how many new vans are bought by newbies?

I do agree it is horses for courses though, and we were fortunate to be in a position to look at young 2nd hand or new. A few years ago this wouldn't have been the case, and if we had made the move then it would have been a 2nd hand van for sure.

Before we bought new we travelled half the country trying to find the right van, it was a long haul, we were looking to buy a caravan a couple of years old and make a saving on new. unfortunately we have seen caravans offered at 8-10k in sad states i. e exterior damage, interior damage, strange smells etc, many were of poor standard. We did find a perfect caravan 2003 challenger last year which was immaculate for the price of £12,500(private sale) Before we agreed to buy it we visited a dealer and found the same model a new 2004 challenger with the window price of £14250 + OTR, after negotiating we agreed a final price of £13,000 with a free alarm and battery so we decided to buy new. It also gave us peace of mind.

Like you Matt we started looking at 2nd hand vans for around 7-8 k, but all the ones we seen were a tad worn and for the money we expected a better quality from the ones we looked at, other peoples dents and scratches, worn upholstery, marks on the carpet etc, then we made the mistake of 'just' looking at the new vans on sale and that was it we were determined we wanted new.

We were lucky and ended up buying a six month old van that someone bought, tried once and didnt like it, for a thousand pound less than a new one, almost brand new ( i think they had 3 nights away in it) with loads of extras thrown in.

My way of looking at it is, this van is going to be the main source of holidaying for us for the next umpteen years, so borrowing some extra cash to have holidays in it that the only dents and dings on it are ours makes us feel better about spending such a large amount of money in the first place.

We currently have a 1988 Perle Custom. It has everything we need. When we bought it 3 years ago for £1500 it was all we could afford.

We decided to change and have chosen to buy new for two reasons.

1 We can now afford to buy new.

2 The price of 1 or 2 year old vans is so close to the price of new, it's not worth it buying used.

We purchased our first van nearly two years ago an ABI globestar ok we had no idea what we was buying and it had some problems which cost me a bit to rectify, but we had loads of fun in it really cleaned it up but last september we just fancied something with a little more room, we started looking at new vans and felt very daunted by the price of them, we had a look at a couple private sales and they looked a bit hammered, and luckily we tried another caravan dealer and found the van we have now, still a little pricey at 4995. 00 but he gave us full book price of 1000 for our old van so made it more desirable to purchase this van, i know 3995 is still alot of money but we feel we have alot of van for our money and we couldn't be happier with it, i think if you look you will find some good vans without having to buy new :mellow:

We purchased our first van nearly two years ago an ABI globestar ok we had no idea what we was buying and it had some problems which cost me a bit to rectify, but we had loads of fun in it really cleaned it up but last september we just fancied something with a little more room, we started looking at new vans and felt very daunted by the price of them, we had a look at a couple private sales and they looked a bit hammered, and luckily we tried another caravan dealer and found the van we have now, still a little pricey at 4995. 00 but he gave us full book price of 1000 for our old van so made it more desirable to purchase this van, i know 3995 is still alot of money but we feel we have alot of van for our money and we couldn't be happier with it, i think if you look you will find some good vans without having to buy new :mellow:

8670[/snapback]

Your new 'van sounds good to me. But, what is the attraction of this layout with the side dinette? It seems to be very popular but the only advantage I can see over a double dinette is the large washroom, though many people use the site facilities. It sounds a bit of a strange question but I really want to know.

Mike

I would love to be able to afford a new van and i dont begrudge you and your new pleasures for one minute, iwe simple couldnt go the extra mile for a new van we had 6k to play with and that was it, we did manage to buy a 1998 van with everything thrown in even some coffe and sugar lol, all i have done is change the door handles inside the van to modern chrome and renewed the reading lights again chrome, resprayed with chrome spray two uplighters that were fitted by previouse owner and to be fair tried to give it the ikea look, the wife is on a mission to make new curtains for it (bit of a whizz with a sewing machine), were as happy as larry with it because we have started to make it our van. .. i wished we could have got a new van i went to a dealer last week for a look round and was really impressed at the vans but i think i will have one of those in a few years time. ........I HOPE

good luck matt and i hope you love vaning as much as we and the kids do, and if you park your van at the side of me just remember this. ..... Its your round mate.

Your new 'van sounds good to me. But, what is the attraction of this layout with the side dinette?  It seems to be very popular but the only advantage I can see over a double dinette is the large washroom, though many people use the site facilities.   It sounds a bit of a strange question but I really want to know.

Mike

8802[/snapback]

Hi Mike

as i said we are very happy with this van we have bought, and it has the option of side dinette, or full dinette when we have had friends come and see us, the large washroom in this van is great and we never use site shower blocks, this end washroom has been really appreciated when we have been on sites and the on

site facilities are less than clean or appealling to use, plus there is a wardrobe in this washroom so my wife has a wardrobe and i have one in the middle of the van.

And being a four berth if one of us is feeling a little ill we can have separate beds so we both can still sleep.

A couple of thoughts spring to mind "Each to his own" & "Horses for courses". We will all make our own choices based on circumstances, and with the help of forums like this one, hopefully we will all make informed choices and be happy with them.

To coin another phrase as "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" then the value of a caravan is in the mind of the family that owns it.

8428[/snapback]

Well said

Archived