Sign in to follow this  
SBS

Position Of Jockey Wheel

My 2001 Coachman Pastiche is in the centre and it is a pain in the rear. First the slightest bump and it grounds wearing away the new rubber tyre, next the wheel unwinds on its own, once on a German Autobahn at a point where no hard shoulder. Several times i have remembered to put a bungy strap around the handle to stop it turning. I wish i had one on the side though. Any ideas guy's.

My 2001 Coachman Pastiche is in the centre and it is a pain in the rear. First the slightest bump and it grounds wearing away the new rubber tyre, next the wheel unwinds on its own, once on a German Autobahn at a point where no hard shoulder. Several times i have remembered to put a bungy strap around the handle to stop it turning. I wish i had one on the side though. Any ideas guy's.

On our Bailey Senator I modified the jockey wheel using a side clamp and some hefty 1/4in X 2in angle steel so that it was mounted on the main coupling bolts top and bottom

When the jockey wheel was fully raised I could pull with all my strength and no deflection but when moving the van with the mover it bent over alarmingly

So it was back to the inside A frame fixing

I had previously contacted Alko and they said that I could bolt a bracket onto the side of the chassis rail but that it would invalidate the warranty

They also stated that it was easier for the caravanner with the centre mount

So lets all shut up and just count our blessings :D

As stated before before I now remove the R clip,spindle and wheel when going onto ferries etc

Replacing it in pouring rain last year was really much easier than having the side clamp but just didn't fell like it at the time

On another occasion I had removed the jockey wheel by stopping over a gulley so that the bottom section could drop out when unscrewed prior to a ferry crossing

To replace it I had to drive the car rear wheels up levelling ramps

Now that really is easier than just tightening a side screw especially if you forget to raise the rear steadies

So its a big thank you to Alko for considering us real caravanners and making things so much easier for us :rolleyes:

Edited by Watson(JohnG)

If you wind the wheel up hard into the tube, so the two wheel supports fit into the slots, before raising the tube, it will not unwind. I found that out the hard way, I had to stop to see what the noise was <_<

Another blessing of the inside the A Frame is that if you reverse the caravan with the mover and the jockey wheel is then facing forward and hook up onto the car you then can't turn the wheel in line the right way round because it jams under the brake etc on all but level or hollowed out ground and/or with a high towball

I have the bumper protector that is quite substantial and drops into a slot behind the bolt on towball

So now I raise the coupling with the jockey wheel and move the van forward on the mover so that the coupling can be lowered onto the top of the protector while the JW is raised and pointed in the right direction before winding the JW down again etc

Now isn't that much easier than having a side clamp :wacko:

http://www. towsure. com/product/460-Removab. ..umper_Protector

Edited by Watson(JohnG)

My A frame cover has now worn through to a hole as a result of the JW (fitted with pheumatic trye) turning whilst pulled up tight to it and catching on the ground due the low ground clearance. The sooner this issue is sorted out the better as I am having the A frame cover replaced in June. Need to talk to my dealer about some of the suggestions in this thread which has been very helpful in knowing I am not the only one with this problem with the JW mounted centrally

Robin

It would be interesting to know if central mounting would be more acceptable to the end user if either complete jockey wheel removal was made easier or ground clearance could be improved by the use of, for example, a quick release wheel and tyre assembly - comment would be appreciated.

I would re-iterate that both positions work and ultimately, we are driven by the customer/consumer requirements.

regards,

Paul

So from all the discusions and deliberations

-- with the customers and also us the consumers

-- have you made any changes to the position

-- or is it all just a talk shop?

WE had a h**l of a job stowing my JW this week at Easter

-- as it [JW] was pointing in the wrong direction after using the caravan mover

we had to jack the van up on the JW

Lower the front steadies

swing the JW around and make sure the wheel was in the notches

fully extend the wheel down.

lower the steadies

lower the van with the JW and "aim " for the tow hook

then whist kneeling on the floor - make sure that the wheel "misses" all the bits under the A frame and sits in position. .

Then find somewhere to wash hands !!!

What have you found out!!!

Hi Maurice

When I saw a furtherposting on this topic I was expecting a berating after doing my Victor Meldrew above

Its really not funny

I once made a typo that proved true

Jokey wheel :rolleyes:

Without prompting my friend when setting up last year suddenly erupted with :angry: I HATE THIS BL***Y THING :angry::angry:

One guess what he was referring to

Edited by Watson(JohnG)

So from all the discusions and deliberations

-- with the customers and also us the consumers

-- have you made any changes to the position

-- or is it all just a talk shop?

WE had a h**l of a job stowing my JW this week at Easter

-- as it [JW] was pointing in the wrong direction after using the caravan mover

we had to jack the van up on the JW

Lower the front steadies

swing the JW around and make sure the wheel was in the notches

fully extend the wheel down.

lower the steadies

lower the van with the JW and "aim " for the tow hook

then whist kneeling on the floor - make sure that the wheel "misses" all the bits under the A frame and sits in position. .

Then find somewhere to wash hands !!!

What have you found out!!!

Do you have the inflatable tyre Maurice.

I ask because I had one on the last van, a Pageant Magenta, with the side fitting wheel. If the wheel was under the A frame when it was lowered onto the towball the A frame sat on top of the wheel and it was a h*ll of a job to get it out. My present van has the jockey wheel in the middle of the A frame, it has the plastic wheel with a hard rubber tyre on it and is much less bother. I pull the wheel up into the A frame, then spin it to check it is not fouling anything.

Do you have the inflatable tyre Maurice.

I ask because I had one on the last van, a Pageant Magenta, with the side fitting wheel. If the wheel was under the A frame when it was lowered onto the towball the A frame sat on top of the wheel and it was a h*ll of a job to get it out. My present van has the jockey wheel in the middle of the A frame, it has the plastic wheel with a hard rubber tyre on it and is much less bother. I pull the wheel up into the A frame, then spin it to check it is not fouling anything.

Because of the problems with the fitting and stowing the Pneumatic tyred wheel in the centre of the A frame [the tyre is too fat and it catches on odd bits of metal that look important -- like break rods and things]

I have now taken off the Pneumatic tyred wheel and fitted a solid tyre wheel -- which isn't as good when using a motor mover over soft ground. But it just fits without touching -- it did touch the ATC cable joint -- last year though and Alko came out and replaced the cable

My old van had the JW at the side - with no problems -- this one in the centre - full of problems at every turn -- especially when hitching up and the wheel is not in line --!!!

Maurice

Because of the problems with the fitting and stowing the Pneumatic tyred wheel in the centre of the A frame [the tyre is too fat and it catches on odd bits of metal that look important -- like break rods and things]

I have now taken off the Pneumatic tyred wheel and fitted a solid tyre wheel -- which isn't as good when using a motor mover over soft ground. But it just fits without touching -- it did touch the ATC cable joint -- last year though and Alko came out and replaced the cable

My old van had the JW at the side - with no problems -- this one in the centre - full of problems at every turn -- especially when hitching up and the wheel is not in line --!!!

Maurice

I have a removeable bumper protector and drive the caravan with the mover so that I can rest the hitch on the top of the protector

This enables the JW to be centred in line before raising again and lowering onto the ball :rolleyes:

http://www. towsure. com/product/460-Removab. ..umper_Protector

Edited by Watson(JohnG)

Our van has a special low Alko chassis. The van is a pop-up and is low enough to fit in a garage. It has the jockey wheel mounted in the centre of the A frame. It is welded to the drawbar. There is no silly plastic cover over the A frame. The jockey wheel is able to retract up far enough so that it does not protrude below the chassis. To comply with regulations there is a metal skid under the chassis to stop the drawbar touching the ground should the caravan become detached. Works perfectly.

I am amazed at some of the side mounting jockey wheels I have seen on campsites, which, when fully retracted have a very low ground clearance and must cause problems over speed bumps/ferries etc.

As a bonus there are two mounting holes on the A frame to take a jockey wheel bracket. Best of both worlds.

Perhaps the problem is not with the positioning of the jockey wheel but the silly, unnecessary cheap plastic cover they put over the A frame.

Edited by thebriars

As a bonus there are two mounting holes on the A frame to take a jockey wheel bracket. Best of both worlds.

Now wouldn't that be good if they just left or made the holes in the A frame of caravans

-- so that we could retrofit the JW to the side if we wanted

-- as you say

-- Best of both worlds for the sake of Two Holes!!

I am sure that the A frame plastic cover could soon be "modified" to take the side mounted JW. . [a sharp Stanley knife should suffice]

But unfortunately WE cant drill the chassis

-- or it would be detrimental to the caravan etc etc. .

-- but the holes were there before

-- Can we have them back??

Maurice

Now wouldn't that be good if they just left or made the holes in the A frame of caravans

-- so that we could retrofit the JW to the side if we wanted

-- as you say

-- Best of both worlds for the sake of Two Holes!!

I am sure that the A frame plastic cover could soon be "modified" to take the side mounted JW. . [a sharp Stanley knife should suffice]

But unfortunately WE cant drill the chassis

-- or it would be detrimental to the caravan etc etc. .

-- but the holes were there before

-- Can we have them back??

Maurice

The caravan is only 18 months old. Remember this is not the normal Alko chassis, but a special lower one, with a ladder chassis and the A frame connects part way along the chassis.

However, point taken the holes could be placed there anyway.