A 4 Berth Light Weight Bailey

youngjimmy22

I am going to be replacing my caravan soon for a 4 berth.

I have got a huge problem that 85% of the kerb weight for my car is 1100kg. Does anyone know of a 4 berth end bathroom caravan that is fairly new which weighs this low.

Just as an after thought do you know what the nose weight is?

The MTPLM of the bailey ranger 470/4 is 1192 kg, the discovery 200 with the same end bathroom layout is 1166kg.

If you are extremely strict over what goes in the car, what goes in the van you may be able to manage either of these.

Other option may be the Discovery 100 at 1139kg, however this is a side bathroom, end bunk layout. Having said that, might give a bit more privacy between the grown ups & the kids that the side dinette/bunk layout of the end bathroom models.

We've just got a Ranger 470/4, first van, first trip this weekend to York.

I am going to look those 2 up straight away. I never fill the 'van up to it's maximum anyway and always put heavy items eg wheel clamps, hitchlock in the car so maybe able to get away with both of those.

I have no kids as I am 22 years old (hence the user name) and I love the space in an end bathroom.

I have friends who would like to come away with me and also my Mum comes away with me as she refuses to tow anything and we think it would be good to keep the single beds made up at the front and we can then eat on the seats in the middle of the 'van.

My dad has a 5 berth which has an end bed area at the back and I think the side bathroom makes the van feel smaller and darker. Great 'van though except for the mice and ants!

We got our Bailey Ranger 470/4 last October -love it, the layout is brilliant for two of us but check the length of the front seats as I think they may be a bit short for single beds.

Thanks for the advise.

I had noticed that in some one front seat is longer than the other. I do want all 4 beds to be made as single hopefully.

I looked up the 470/4 and liked the look. Wasnt too sure on the 1 big window at the front though. Looks very 1960-70's I think. I dont like change!

We really like the big front window-makes the whole van seem light and airy, but maybe this shows the (slight!!) difference in our ages. Maybe it would be worth visiting a dealer and sitting in different vans to get the feel of them.

Pam

ps Have a lie on the front seats aswell!! :D

We like the single piece window, but as above, not sure that the front seats would make a suitably long enough single.

BTW if you want a new van for the summer season you may have to move fast as Bailey are in demand at the moment. Even 2nd hand they hold prices very well and move fast from the dealers forecourts.

I am hoping to have my new 'van by early March. I don't think I can afford a brand new one just yet but hopefully a 200? model or around that age I should be able to afford.

And as for them holding prices. I like the sound of that for the future.

What is the reliability of Baileys. Any major faults I should look for?

We picked up our Bailey Ranger 500/5 on Friday 28th January and went away for the weekend in it (first time in our own caravan ever).

We loved every minute and had no problems with the exception of the electric heating…. It worked to start with but then stopped working. After much hunting I solved the problem by finding that the power plug to the thermostat was loose and just needed reinserting into its connector.

We love the big front window as well, especially on the site we were on (lovely open valley views in front of us).

I know quite a few people with Bailey caravans and I don’t recall any problems as such, I suppose that reflects the high residual second hand prices.

Hope this helps

Marc

We have a Bailey Discovery 300, mtpl 1156 and are very pleased with it. Good layout for 4 (mom, dad, 2 kids) although it is a 5 berth however, for some reason Bailey are no longer making the 300. Few minor problems, the flyscreen on the roof light broke, however Bailey sent a replacement without any problems, we just rang the dealer and they ordered a free replacement under warranty.

So It looks like Bailey are the best people so far for light weight caravans. I also find that all roof light blinds seem to break. I find it is the spring inside that goes.

I am going to probably only be able to aford a 5-6 year old anyway but if they have stopped making the the parts should still be available as I guess they use most things in all their caravans just in a different place.

We really like the big front window-makes the whole van seem light and airy, but maybe this shows the (slight!!) difference in our ages. Maybe it would be worth visiting a dealer and sitting in different vans to get the feel of them.

Pam

ps Have a lie on the front seats aswell!! :D

8371[/snapback]

I had a look around the Baileys today. I have changed my mind about the single window now. It does make it feel very light and airy. However they only fitted those to all new 'vans and none that are within my cars weight.

The Ranger 470/4 was nice. It had up and down sides but 1 thing I have learnt is that the 470/4 is the biggest I can tow and unfortunately the 2 front seats cant be made into 2 singles they are not long enough. If I do go for the 2 single seats the weight goes up far too much. So there will be some compramises to be made.

The search goes on!

• 2 weeks later...

We are waiting for our Bailey to be delivered. We had to up-size the car because of the weight. Lunar have very light vans. Our previous van the Lunar Arianne was a 6 berth weight 1050kg.

Jimmy

We have had our Disco 200 a year now. we usually go away with my 2 grandkids and my son and daughterinlaw. we have a awning with a tall annexe attached to give us extra room. you might find this better if your taking mum along and some mates. As to reliabilty we had nothing at all go wrong. [fingers are know crossed.] Also it tows like a dream, steady as a rock. We have Alko Stabiliser fitted from new which helps.

Regards Telshe