Pageant Provence Series 5 - Battery Charger

Hodkys

Wondering if anyone out there can help. ..

We have a Bailey Pageant Provence we have had 5 great weekends in. Each time we have been to a site with Electric-hookup. Prior to setting off from home, we have plugged the caravan into our home supply to get the fridge really cold.

The question is this. ...

. ..does the battery charger automatically top-up the battery when hooked up to the electric? Or do I need to flick a switch to do this? All I know is that for this caravan it is a Switch Mode Charger. ..which means nothing to me! I don't want the battery to go flat when I need it most!

Thanks,

The Hodkys

To the best of my knowledge as soon as the mains is hooked up the battery is on charge. Also, if you have twin electrics on the car then the battery is being charged by the engine whilst towing. Ive had my Provence since October and spent 20 nights on 9 trips in it so far with no power problems and I also use a motor mover out of storage and also on site to avoid putting stress on the car.

Some battery chargers have a mains ON/OFF switch on the unit but my 2003 Pageant does not so maybe yours is the same. You can tell if it is charging by getting someone to look at the voltmeter when you switch the mains on. There should be a slight upward blip in voltage.

Brian

here is something I pick up on another forum may be of some help.

just had this reply from bailey's about chargers

Dear

Thank you for your e-mail regarding your Bailey Ranger 510/4, 2002 model.

The caravan charging system when connected to mains will charge the caravan leisure battery, irrespective of the 12v switch position.

I trust this is of assistance, however, should you have any further enquiries, please do not hesitate to contact me on the helpline number 0117 3052939 or e-mail helpline@Bailey-caravans. co. uk

Kind regards

Maria Sweet

Bailey helpline

so the 12v isolation switch does not affect charger

• 4 weeks later...

The Zig X-70, fitted to 2001 Pageants and others but not 2004 models, has a switch on top to turn the "charger" off but this is normally left on unless another charger is in use.

Note - Caravans haven't been fitted with "chargers" since the mid-90's, when EN1645 came in. They're all fitted with power supplies which provides 13. 8V and will boost the battery to 80% of it's capacity. Proper chargers, like the CTEK, provide 14. 4V and will charge the battery to 100% as well as extending the battery's life. Some technicians argue that 14. 4V can damage some caravan equipment but Bailey don't include any such warning in the caravan handbook.

Hi. Asked the very same question myself for my Bailey Pageant Bordeaux in the older forum, answer was yes, and i also checked to make sure by putting a volt meter on the battery terminals and plugging in the mains,the meter reading rose to show the battery was charging. Hope this helps.

Dave