Towcar Ideas???

Guest Lenny

Going the caravan shows in next 2 months, and if we can get a decent deal we want to buy a van we love. Fully laden it will come in at 1600kg. Which aint bad i thought for a twin axle.

So, what car is capable of pulling this, without using a 4x4. We've got a Frnotera but possibly might be changing to a normal car, if we can find something to pull it. Nothing new, and no silly 18 grand territory cars either. Up to 10 grand say. <_<

Lenny

Oh dear you have got a dilemma, 1600kg van and twin axles! Frankly you will need a vehicle with serious grunt that weighs close to 2 tonnes to tow and manouvre it safely and I doubt if you will get that outside a full size 4x4. Why not go for a van a bit smaller and stick with the Frontera? Avoid borderline rigs, they are the ones you see in a thousand bits at the side of the road.

h

Hi you will be looking at a car around the 1840 Kg's so I feel you may be struggling to get a none 4X4 car to get the 85% tow ratio as the new shape frontera only comes in at around 1820 Kg's :blink:

Thats a serious piece of kit and you will definitely need something with some grunt to pull it.

Any of the 4 x 4's should do it but this is where the costs starts to soar, especially if all it does is drag the van a few times a year. .

It's a problem vans keep getting heavier and cars just seem to get lighter :blink:

Paul

Thats a serious piece of kit and you will definitely need something with some grunt to pull it.

Any of the 4 x 4's should do it but  this is where the costs starts to soar, especially if all it does is drag the van a few times a year.   .

It's a problem vans keep getting heavier and cars just seem to get lighter :blink:

Paul

932[/snapback]

I agree with the other comments - for such a heavy piece of kit you will find that a 4 x 4 is the best way to tow it - I have a very heavy van and cannot tow it with anything less than a 4 x 4 - unless of course I go to a commercial vehicle and if I did that the length would mean I would need a LONG VEHICLE sign on the back !!

Margaret

Margaret

I don't do technical !!!

Just me and my showdogs!!

The current Vectra Estate is one of the heaviest non-4x4 around but even the heaviest version, 3. 0CDTi Elite, is only 1662 kg, the other versions being under 1600 kg.

For 20 years now, caravans have been getting heavier at a faster rate than cars, so now non-4x4's are quite restricted to the lighter of caravans. It's not just the extra equipment in caravans, cars have even more extra equipment. Caravan designers haven't moved forward, structurally, in those 20 years. They're still designed with separate chassis and non-lightweight materials.

. Caravan designers haven't moved forward, structurally, in those 20 years. They're still designed with separate chassis and non-lightweight materials.

1049[/snapback]

I for one am glad that caravans are not made from lightweight materials - plastic cupboard doors and thin wood fittings are NOT for me - besides that if they were made from lightweight materials they certainly wouldnt last as long !!!

Margaret

Margaret

I don't do technical !!!

Just me and my showdogs!!

Roger

Its a good point you make. Our last three vans have been purchased new and the maximum weight has grown every time we changed the van:-

1989 Esprit Flair max weight 900kgs

1998 Sterling Europa max weight 1100kgs

2004 Sterling Eccles Topaz max weight 1325kgs

The pay load allowance has not changed much either and all vans have been around 15ft in length. On that basis if we change the van again it might be 1550kgs!!!!

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Going the caravan shows in next 2 months, and if we can get a decent deal we want to buy a van we love. Fully laden it will come in at 1600kg. Which aint bad i thought for a twin axle.

So, what car is capable of pulling this, without using a 4x4. We've got a Frnotera but possibly might be changing to a normal car, if we can find something to pull it. Nothing new, and no silly 18 grand territory cars either. Up to 10 grand say. <_<

546[/snapback]

Have a look at the topic 'Best tow car' that may give you some ideas. For example, what about a double cab pick-up. That could be nearer your budget. Alternatively, have a look for a nearly new 'van and up the spend on the car.

Mike

546[/snapback]

:) If you don,t mind me asking why have you got to have a twin axle van, there are some very decent vans around that are single axle's, and are quite roomy, i think if you are set on a twin axle van you may find that you will have to stay on the 4x4 type vehicle .

I'm no expert so don't quote me but I think your biggest problem with a twin axle of 1600KGs is going to be the nose weight. I don't think anything other than a 4X4 has an allowed nose weight that high - unless anyone knows different.

We were in the same situation as you and ended up having to buy a 4X4 (Nissan Terrano II) despite being told by the dealer that our 1560KG Mondeo would do the job if we didn't use the maximum allowed payload.

Good Luck,

JB

Johhny Boy,

How do you find the Nissan Terrano? We have had so many problems with our Galaxy that we want to get rid of it. We need to find a car big enough to pull Bailey Pageant Provence, have 6+ seats, and be reasonably priced with a good warranty. We were thinking of 3. 0 Automatic, but the reviews for the Terrano seem mixed.

Cheers,

Hodkys

Hi Hodkys,

Nissan seems fine at the moment, but have not used it yet for any long runs so still some exploring to do. We had some slight problems with electrics but this was sorted cheaply. On the short tows we have done it pulls no problem and seems very, very stable. Kerbweight is 1850KG's and 110KG's allowed on the nose. Fuel consumption solo is 27MPG. This is our second car and so is only used for pulling the van and taxi-ing the kids around, so not a big issue on economy. Very comfortable to drive and well speced (A\C, electric windows, alarm & imobiliser). The 3rd row of seats are really only for occasional use unless used for small kiddies. Difficult for me to say on long term reliability as I haven't had it for a long time but lots more info at www. nissan4X4ownersclub. co. uk

As for other comments regarding big Mercs and BMW's, my father in law has a s320 and this still only has a nose weight of 75KG's despite a kerbweight of 1920KG's. We have found that it is not so easy on a twin axle to reduce nose weight by moving stuff around, so my advice to the original question is tread very carefully as overloading nose weight is not a recommendation but an absolute maximum enforcible by law.