Going from Touring to Static Caravan

Hi all,

My wife, daughter and I have been touring for about 6years. Over the last 3 years, our tourer is on the same site and the little one isn't so little any more. So we are looking at changing to a static.

I seem to remember seeing a post on here a while back about going from static to touring, but I can't find it. I guess once we sell the touring, we will just be new static owners so are there any threads around to give me the full low-down?

I have heard site fees can be quite hefty, which we are braced for, and I also understand that some sites T's and C's need to be read very carefully. I'd just like some reading material that the wife and I can digest in our own time before we start the search in earnest.

Many thanks.

2016 Audi Q7 3. 0 - Towing a 2012 Sterling Elite Emerald

Persistent Love2Stay user

Read through the various threads and posts on this forum, as there is already a lot of information posted.

Have a look also on the NACO website

https://www.nacoservices.com/static-caravan-advice

The site contract needs to be read and understood, as that will (should)tell you what you can and cannot do, and what costs are associated.

It should tell you how long your van can remain on site, when and how the site fees are increased, at what age it may have to be replaced, whether you can sell it independently or has to be via the site, whether you can rent it out, whether you can have family stay with our without you, etc.

Do not buy a static without a site - very few parks allow bring-ons, and those that do will charge you for the privilege.

Do not buy a static from the current owner without making sure that the park allows private resales to stay on site - it has been known for people to sell a sited static and the park then refuses to let the new owner have a pitch, or only allows it to stay for a year.

Do your research, and then if you decide to buy, you will join the thousands of happy static owners.

Good luck and happy hunting.

If you are on Facebook there are a couple of good groups.

We did the same thing last year when our tourer developed so much damp that it wasn't worth repairing.

You need to be aware that the basic site fees are just for the slab of concrete the static is on. It doesn't cover gas or electric and might not cover site maintenance (lawn mowing, rubbish collection etc) either.

Pick the site before the caravan. Most sites dont allow you to bring a caravan on - you buy one through them. Many sites have tie-ups with decking companies so you have to use them.

If you get a chance to have a wander round the site and find another owner to chat to .... that can be useful.

Saying all that buying our static is one of the best things we have done.

Hi, good luck with your search.  If you have any questions, there are many members here who are willing to help.

You will need to think about what size and layout of static will be best for your family.  Do you wish to keep it exclusively for your family or would you rent it out when you are not using it?  The location of the park and the amenities available will have a great bearing on the original cost and also the annual fees.  Always check everything and take your time, don't be pressured by sales staff.  Consider the distance from home to your static, if it is a long drive, you may not use it as much as you would if it were closer to home.  Make sure you are happy with everything before committing to the purchase - mistakes can be very costly.

We have had no regrets since purchasing our static, although we kept our tourer as well, for the flexibility it offers.