2015 Unicorn Vigo, 12V cabin electrical fault.

wbop

The 12V interior lights on the Vigo are divided into two circuits, each controlled by a 10A fuse.  The fuse on the front circuit blows periodically, usually, (but not always), when traveling.  So far I have visually checked all the wiring I can access, which isn't a lot, and had a look at the wiring around the fuse board but  I haven't seen any loose wires, loose connectors or screw penetrations.

When the lights are working I have switched off the main cabin switch and the main light switch before traveling and on arrival at the new site have switched all the switches one by one to see if a particular light circuit has a fault.  No luck with that so far and I can't do that check when the fuse is already blown. 

I'm stumped at the moment and I'd really appreciate if anyone can come up with suggestions to help or even tell me how I can access the wiring.

Do you mean an actual wire fuse is blowing, or are you talking about MCBs?

Firstly if we are talking wire fuses, there is no way such can blow when travelling as the habitation relay activates and cuts off all 12V to the caravan circuits. The only 12V circuits working are the fridge 12V supply and the battery charging both of which come from the towing vehicle. When the car ignition is switched off but is still connected to the caravan anything 12V in the van that works is powered from the tow - this includes 12V lights and toilet pump.

We have had three Bailey's and I have never seen more than one fuse for the lighting, unless your van maybe has a mix of bulb and LED which may be separately fused although I cannot see why and certainly not LEDs at 10A?

If it is the MCBs that you are talking about and they are switching to the off position (down) whilst you travel but <before> EHU is applied, then it is a mechanical fault of the MCB - those used in caravans are very cheap (usually Chinese) units and are prone to tripping mechanically especially the RCD.

I would suggest you revisit your question and give rather more detail of the problem, then your readers will be less confused - as I am.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

The 12v circuits do not go through the MCBs just fuses. If the 12v master switch is off nothing other than the fridge and charging should be live as correctly stated above.

Definitely a strange fault. 

We had the RCD changed under warranty as it was sticking when tested! I agree cheap component!

Hyundai Santa Fe+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)

On 29/05/2022 at 08:54, Woodentop said:

Firstly if we are talking wire fuses, there is no way such can blow when travelling as the habitation relay activates and cuts off all 12V to the caravan circuits. The only 12V circuits working are the fridge 12V supply and the battery charging both of which come from the towing vehicle. When the car ignition is switched off but is still connected to the caravan anything 12V in the van that works is powered from the tow - this includes 12V lights and toilet pump.

We have had three Bailey's and I have never seen more than one fuse for the lighting, unless your van maybe has a mix of bulb and LED which may be separately fused although I cannot see why and certainly not LEDs at 10A?

If it is the MCBs that you are talking about and they are switching to the off position (down) whilst you travel but <before> EHU is applied, then it is a mechanical fault of the MCB - those used in caravans are very cheap (usually Chinese) units and are prone to tripping mechanically especially the RCD.

I would suggest you revisit your question and give rather more detail of the problem, then your readers will be less confused - as I am.

On 29/05/2022 at 08:54, Woodentop said:

I can see what you mean, different country, different systems.  I should have said that in NZ most caravans are connected to the car with  flat 7 pin plug which does not have the capacity to to power anything more than the outside lights. 

So in this case when traveling the circuits in the van are live as per normal and running off the house battery, unless the main switch or the main lighting switch is off.

The fuse that is blowing is the 12V wire fuse controlling the lighting circuit in the front half of the van.  Two lighting circuits and both on 10A wire fuses.  There are a lot of LEDs in each circuit.

I don't know whether I have a loose wire/faulty connection, a screw through a wire somewhere or a faulty LED.  I think I can discount a faulty LED as when they are working they all seem fine and the fuse does not blow,  So I am looking at the possibility of a faulty connection/loose wire or screw through a wire but I don't know how to get into the concealed wiring to check.

But I am stumped about how to go about checking hence the request for help.

On 29/05/2022 at 22:24, 664DaveS said:

The 12v circuits do not go through the MCBs just fuses. If the 12v master switch is off nothing other than the fridge and charging should be live as correctly stated above.

Definitely a strange fault. 

We had the RCD changed under warranty as it was sticking when tested! I agree cheap component!

Thanks for your reply.

I've realised that  there area different systems in the UK from NZ and that due to the type of plug normally used  here the 12V system in the caravan is live as per normal when traveling.

Switching off the main light switch as I am now doing has stopped the 10A wire fuse blowing when I travel but I would still like to find and repair the fault.   My problem is knowing where the concealed wires run and how I can get into them to check.  So any suggestions on that would be appreciated.

thanks